They did it! Fuji GFX 100 first to bring pro video specs to medium format with 10bit 4K at 400Mbit, F-LOG and IBIS

Mako Sports

• Super Members

My "local" (until Monday) camera shop has it up for pre-order now for June delivery.

With the tax refund and extra discount for paying by visa, its just on £7K.

For UK buyers, I reckon that £3K saving its well within the realms of "definitely worth a plane ticket" if I was in the market for one, particularly so in 3 or 4 months time when used ones start to become available here and even bigger savings can be had.

20190525_162524.thumb.jpg.d59abf50f9ce19276ba8795180f969ce.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 5/23/2019 at 5:20 PM, kaylee said:

wow! this thing is really something, cant wait to see some files from it...

would u guys please explain to me, like im 4 years old, what the glass options are for this camera...?

"Well Kaylee, it's bigger than full frame so..."

im dumb

Fuji GF lenses of course. Some full frame vintage lenses will also cover medium format, like minolta.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

My "local" (until Monday) camera shop has it up for pre-order now for June delivery.

With the tax refund and extra discount for paying by visa, its just on £7K.

For UK buyers, I reckon that £3K saving its well within the realms of "definitely worth a plane ticket" if I was in the market for one, particularly so in 3 or 4 months time when used ones start to become available here and even bigger savings can be had.

20190525_162524.thumb.jpg.d59abf50f9ce19276ba8795180f969ce.jpg

If it reaches £5k used, I will be on a plane faster than Donald Trump going to a rally on Airforce One

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Well Tony says the Fuji GFX mount is a dead duck down the road, L mount also. Don't put any, much money into it. No real market for it, probably true. Interesting video

But before I book the plane ticket, better be mindful of the dead mount of Fuji, Leica and Panasonic, those really dead and unsuccessful camera companies!

Yeah but did you watch the whole video? The trouble is it is not a FF MF camera. So the high end shooters are going to go with the Phase One, Hasselblad route. Sure a few of them might buy the body, but that is a very few in this day and age. And it is just too expensive, add lenses, and it is out of the budget of too many people. There is just not going to be a big enough market to support it. Sure it will sell at first, it's a new entry, but down the road I don't think so.

I would love to have one, but I also would love to have the 25,000 Dollars with lenses to get into it more than the camera kit. Mirrorless in that video according to him only represents a little more than 1% of all the cameras in the world. It sounds like the future, but it is damn small future for Camera Companies to put tons of money into now. And they don't have much money is the problem. Nikon particularity. If you buy Z mount lenses they don't work on your Nikon DSLR, same problem with the Canon R lenses. That is a big concern right now if you have their DSLR's.

These all new systems take one hell of a commitment to leap into them. If it goes to crap you are out of luck big time. You can't even use the lenses on anything else. And you know and I know not all these companies and all these mounts are going to make it. Canon and Panasonic both have way too many mounts going forward.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well Tony says the Fuji GFX mount is a dead duck down the road, L mount also. Don't put any, much money into it. No real market for it, probably true. Interesting video.

I know that Tony is going to catch a lot of flack for his views, but he does make some valid points. The overall dslr/mirrorless market sales are falling and have been for a while. I think that many of the camera companies didn't expect the decline to be that severe or rapid. This trend is also likely to continue since many (most?) people are happy with the images and videos produced by their phones. The phones are also continuing to make remarkable progress in image quality and they will continue to improve in the future. 

The camera companies are making and selling cameras in order to make a profit. If they are losing money on a product, they will eventually reduce their losses on that venture. I think that simple economics will dictate many fewer "big" camera choices for us in the future. They will still be around for many years, but the innovation is likely to slow down in favor of smartphone tech. Hopefully some of the smartphone camera tech trickles up to the "big" bodies :) 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

If it reaches £5k used, I will be on a plane faster than Donald Trump going to a rally on Airforce One

Funnily enough, he landed here in it yesterday so he must be coming to pre-order it.

We also had an earthquake at roughly the same time, though his hair remained unmoved obviously.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Funnily enough, he landed here in it yesterday so he must be coming to pre-order it.

We also had an earthquake at roughly the same time, though his hair remained unmoved obviously.

I doubt he even knows what a camera is.

the camera is for pro market so the mount is not really an issue.

it's like saying in the old days the pentax 6x7 will never sell because of it's specific mount. same for most mf.

he probably said in an episode that ff is the way to go and M43 is dead, that is why the bmcc4k isn't selling ?

these guys just don't know what to do and say to get an audience and a new youtube episode

anyway, some brands don't share the same opinion https://www.fujirumors.com/alpa-announces-a-new-range-of-products-for-fujifilm-gfx-100/

While Tony may be one of the biggest click bait artists in the business, probably uses more makeup and grooming products than his wife and all the ladies in that part of the world (for the longest I thought that was his sister and they were competing on beauty products), is highly confused about which of his conspiracy theories to believe himself etc, one has to give it to him, the guy is truly entertaining. He couldn't crack a joke, even if the Cohen brothers wrote and shot episodes for him, but his theories are entertaining. He does raise some valid points every once in a while, but he is probably more in love with himself talking in the mirror, than doing anything truly well researched.

Regardless, he does entertain. 

• Administrators

Detail holding up very well from such a high resolution pixel binning sensor.

The 5 axis IBIS has a lot of jitter and doesn't seem to be working to stop rotational jitter, but then it is shot by a talentless idiot.

11 hours ago, drm said:

I know that Tony is going to catch a lot of flack for his views, but he does make some valid points.

A well worn Tony thing is whenever he doesn't get invited with his fellow diva children of the camera press to a nice jaunt / holiday, he goes off on one of his rants making sure he name checks the company who smited the chosen one.

The biggest names Fuji chose for the trip were Johnnie B and Gordon L, those well known celebrities of the camera kingdom.... Who will sit on the throne at the end? It's a fight to the death and there is only room for one ego in the YouTube camera review community.

I'll stick to my XT3.

Most people getting into photography/video now will be buying mirrorless. Canon and Nikon are really just beginning to take mirrorless seriously. I think once they release some really good bodies in the next year things will really rapidly change. The EOS R and Nikon Z were just the start.

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The EOS R and Nikon Z were just the start.

or the end.

R is really bad for it"s price and Z is gonna cost a ton to nikon for recall.

the others brands won't wait for them.

and if canon keep it's policy of "you're gonna pay the high price for something that could be good but sorry we couldn't give you that because the  other camera that is even more expensive does it" they are going straight into the wall

25 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

or the end.

R is really bad for it"s price and Z is gonna cosy a ton to nikon for recall.

the others brands won't wait for them.

and if canon keep it's policy of "you're gonna pay the high price for something that could be good but sorry we couldn't give you that because the  other camera that is even more expensive does it" there going straight into the wall

They'll release a 1DXMK2 mirrorless version that will probably become the go to pro camera. Nikon could go under water but if they release a mirrorless sports APSC camera that could be very popular. 

The EOS R sucks tech wise but its a nice reliable body and people like that. The R is just the beginning IMO. 

Yeah the main takeaway in Northrup video, and I agree, is that it is no secret that cameras companies make their money off of lenses. And there as of now is not enough people that is going to buy Canon, Nikon Mirrorless cameras to justify making 5 models of them. So they are depending on DSLR sales and lens buyers to make the real profit. The problem is that is going to hell also. Sony was smarter than they look by dumping the A line DSLR cameras years ago. And they pretty much only have 1 mount for all their stuff. They are in a great position compared to a lot of others.

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah the main takeaway in Northrup video, and I agree, is that it is no secret that cameras companies make their money off of lenses. And there as of now is not enough people that is going to buy Canon, Nikon Mirrorless cameras to justify making 5 models of them. So they are depending on DSLR sales and lens buyers to make the real profit. The problem is that is going to hell also. Sony was smarter than they look by dumping the A line DSLR cameras years ago. And they pretty much only have 1 mount for all their stuff. They are in a great position compared to a lot of others.

I agree. I have been toying with buying one of the Panasonic S1 or S1R to complement my GH5s cameras. Each time that I have about convinced myself to buy the body and new lenses, I think about the A7III or the A7RIII, all of the Sony lenses, and the potential for the A7SIII (some day...). Sony certainly has a stronger ecosystem than the other mirrorless camera makers. Heck, Sony even makes the sensor for some of their competitors. There are many things that I don't like about the Sony cameras (the color, 30min limits on video, etc.) but they are certainly the leader and probably will be for a long time. If you are considering a 5-10 yr horizon, Sony is a good bet.