The strong ARM of the law - Leica and DJI may be swept up in Trump's blacklisting war, as Huawei suppliers melt away under pressure

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

trade-war-huawei-leica.jpg

UK based, Japanese owned chip-designer ARM this week announced it is severing business ties with Huawei and others are following suite. Panasonic too, have announced a complete cut in the supply of unspecified components to the Chinese company. According to Nikkei Asian Review, even German chipmaker Infineon confirmed on Monday it needed to "halt American-origin shipments to Huawei to comply with U.S. law". What hope for Huawei supplier Leica?

Huawei said in a statement to reporters that it valued the close relationships with partners, but recognised the intense pressure they are under as a result of 'politically motivated decisions'.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

eh, it's a bad situation with "free trade" and "fair trade".

I was going to look into a Huawei cellphone and compare it with the One Plus 7. Then this trade issue came up. 

It's not that a cellphone is a "must have" with me. It certainly would be great to have a better one. The one I have I received for free for signing up to a carriers phone plan two years ago. So it's cheap with not much or a processor, little memory and a camera that usually blows out highlights easily.

Surely these new cellphones have very, very good cameras.

These newer cellphones, I'm sure, have been eating up mirrorless camera sales. 

So, my thoughts are a mirrorless camera with better picture quality and wifi or Bluetooth capabilities teamed up with a rather average cellphone with a decent processor and memory capacity. Any suggestions?

One Plus 7 starts at $700, right?

So I'm ambivalent about the cellphone/trade issue. Overall the issue affects many other industries in the states, especially agriculture. 

Yeah, it's nice to have a top notch cellphone, but it's not a big deal if it's not-so-top shelf as far as I'm concerned. Back in the day that would be called "keeping up with the Jones"". And rather have a bridge or mirrorless camera that takes better picture quality and matched with a cellphone that can upload the media to wherever. 

Any suggestions for that better mirrorless or bridge camera? 

I don’t agree with Donald Trump on most anything, however I do agree with him on this. China has stolen trillions of dollars in technology and put up obstacles for fair trade and open markets that they themselves agreed to. No one has done anything about Chinas empty promises and back peddling on opening their markets until Donald. In essence you are saying that you getting cheap gear is more important than the livelihood that was stolen from your neighbors, your sisters, your father because of Chinas actions. The revenue that was lost for your local schools, hospitals, police and fire dept. or elder care home. Donald Trump acts like a small minded child and is a TV presenter but in this article you insult him much like what he does to others. You also put your immediate gratification above the well being and stability of other people and communities and that makes you appear like the one with a single celled brain.    

So basically Huawei is the leader in 5g but without american components that tech just can't be used. How is this not a good thing for the americans? 5g is the future of tech. I don't think the short-term loss for these chip makers matters compared to the advantages of being no 1 in 5g. And if you think the americans aren't playing fair then the same can be said about the chinese. Just consider how they got to this point. 

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

What does Arm holdings have that is US origin though? 

Europe needs to step up and stop this nonsense.

Per the article:

Although not a US-company, ARM’s technology is based on RISC chip designs and an array of US-origin technology. Therefore legally, it has no choice but to comply with the US Entity List that prevents companies trading US technology with blacklisted Chinese organisations like Huawei.

Its not Trump's decision. It's a decision made by many people in the government, including democrats, to stop China breaking the "global industrial democracy" rules. Trump just loved to approve it. Its not about market domination (Obama sided with Apple in their fight with Samsung, and it didn't stop Samsung from gaining market share in the US), its not about lagging behind tech (Taiwan is already ahead of Intel), its about respecting the rules. Whatever they are.

What rules?

New (state) terrorism rule over free market they learned Chinese to make it, better than anyone else in the world??

Shame on these bureaucrats!

They deserve a fine kick in their ass instead. This is not free world nor democracy. This is anything but a corporate declaration of war, moreover, pretending to be on people's defense is really worse, just a totalitarian act in disguise. To play very low and dirty.

PS:

" (...) the P30 Pro won't be available to US buyers for political reasons"

https://www.cnet.com/news/reasons-buy-huawei-p30-pro-vs-galaxy-s10-plus/

Yup, 5G. This reminds me Warsaw Pact period or more recently DPRK (for some reason, that orange baby started to praise the rocket man...)

People gave their own lives to change all that political crap which contaminated the planet for decades... Restraining Economy and cut lives of hundreds of millions of people for several generations without clue what yogurt was, go figure diversity of different types, limited to milk and bread produced by the usual suspects when not famine.

Sustained and redefined now by actual morons!

This is a very serious attack against progress, development, equity and finally the humankind itself as a whole.

E : -)

I think the whole world needs to wake up and understand depending pretty much on China to make their stuff is a huge mistake. I am not talking as a personal insult to China. I respect what they have done. But the whole damn world is putting their eggs in one basket here. Nations are loosing their national identity, people out of work. This is leading to a F ing total disaster. You can't have one country making everything and the rest just going belly up, and not abide by the rules.

That is the trouble with this crap. Trump is just a small ass piece of all of this. Britain is just about to be a nobody country soon. Other European countries are nearly in a worse shape. This is all some serious shit. South America is going to shit also. It Ain't going to get better keeping it the way it is. This has no good end without some big ass change. A hell of a lot of countries are to blame for letting this crap happen.

53 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think the whole world needs to wake up and understand depending pretty much on China to make their stuff is a huge mistake. I am not talking as a personal insult to China. I respect what they have done. But the whole damn world is putting their eggs in one basket here. Nations are loosing their national identity, people out of work. This is leading to a F ing total disaster. You can't have one country making everything and the rest just going belly up, and not abide by the rules.

That is the trouble with this crap. Trump is just a small ass piece of all of this. Britain is just about to be a nobody country soon. Other European countries are nearly in a worse shape. This is all some serious shit. South America is going to shit also. It Ain't going to get better keeping it the way it is. This has no good end without some big ass change. A hell of a lot of countries are to blame for letting this crap happen.

Fair play oblige. Not cheating.

Not this nonsense from irresponsible and silly boys used to easy pussies paid (but) not with hard work. That is, in some other words, 'Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat'... some people become used to not have idea what it is.

Without mention, the world has changed. Nationalities are a damn of a bloody fiction, an autocratic speech from one side (populism not people) trying to rule over the other, when everything else failed. 5G is only the corollary of this.

E : -)

50 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Then you better be willing to pay higher prices for your goods.

Trump wants everything made in America because it sounds good and wins him votes because people think it will create jobs. Yet, almost no one is willing to pay higher prices because they want a “decent” wage too. You can’t have both.

China has cheap labor. China is also looking at Africa for its cheap labor.

This is when you realize most things in this world have been built off the down trodden and less fortunate.

This is very bad.

15 years ago I obtain from a US educational entity, a presentation about intelligence of China people vs US people.
On short, due to its immense population, China had / has more intellectual genies than all US population.

This new "type" of Chinese wall now built by the United States (Trump administration) is creating an immense economic war that will have its short-term consequences.
Chinese were already building one for the internet, so the "data exchange" is already affected, starting from personal level (also very important) all the way up.

But since Chinese labor is cheaper, this is also part of the intellectual forces, and I suppose the United States may not accept that millions of Chinese can come to US "to realize themselves" (for the same "security" reasons).

So in the long run (5+ years), China may come out more successful and will dominate the IP of the whole world...
Am I missing something ???

25 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Then you better be willing to pay higher prices for your goods.

Trump wants everything made in America because it sounds good and wins him votes because people think it will create jobs. Yet, almost no one is willing to pay higher prices because they want a “decent” wage too. You can’t have both.

China has cheap labor. China is also looking at Africa for its cheap labor.

This is when you realize most things in this world have been built off the down trodden and less fortunate.

Paying more is a hell of a lot better than having no job to pay for Anything, and your country going belly up. That is the main concern here. This stuff is out of hand now, what the hell you think it will be in 10 years from now.

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Paying more is a hell of a lot better than having no job to pay Anything, and your country going belly up..

Tell that to American consumers that are shopping in those Walmart’s filler with Chinese manufactured goods.

Or the company CEOs with that take huge bonuses but pay their employees peanuts. 

Hell I have had several company's. I worked 15 to 18 hours a day, 7 days a week. Being at the top you deserve a hell of a lot more money. Cleaning toilets and running the whole damn company is a hell of a lot different trust me. They don't pay you a lot of money to sit there and play with your balls on the shitter.

And sure, people with no money are going to shop at cheap ass places. You think they are all running down to Macy's to buy $250.00 a piece shirts and pants?