Jump to content
ntblowz

Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

Recommended Posts

Since Alicia is a EVA1 user, I'm guessing they are just moving that line to l-mount instead. Seems like the most logical thing they would do. So much interesting cameras in the pipeline right now with the z-cam ff series, a7s iii and now this. This one I think will be way out of my ballpark sadly, but one can hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, TheBoogieKnight said:

From all the tests I've seen online (and I've seen a fair bit as I'm in the market and looking at both), the quality is comparable (of course the S1 has HLG etc. but ignoring that). The S1 does however really pulls ahead at high ISOs. It looks almost 2 stops better at the top end in the comparisons I've seen. I'd love to know why this is since they're using similar sensors. Perhaps it's just better/different noise reduction on the S1 but I feel there's more to it than that.

 

Still don't know what I'm buying!

 

I don't have a storage of Nikon glass but Nikon was the first to the table with 10bit 4K with no crop and the IBIS was great so it worked for me. 

Nikon said the Z6 or Z series would not have cine features or go towards that market. But we know the Atomos take on the additional features to some degree.

The Lumix Cine looks promising to bridge the gap and change old school cine ways. 

44 minutes ago, andjo said:

Since Alicia is a EVA1 user, I'm guessing they are just moving that line to l-mount instead. Seems like the most logical thing they would do. So much interesting cameras in the pipeline right now with the z-cam ff series, a7s iii and now this. This one I think will be way out of my ballpark sadly, but one can hope!

Why would they need a press conference if they were just moving the EVA to L mount?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my wish list:

- phase detect autofocus

- internal nd like fs5

- Internal Raw Recording

- Under $4000

Has Panasonic ever done phase detect autofocus on their cameras for video? Next camera I get will have really good video autofocus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The EVA-1 never was a Lumix or Varicam branded camera. Its also a single revenue stream product with body only sales. Panny makes zero money off that Canon EF mount. An EVA-2 with L Mount will be a two stream money maker with bodies and now lenses.

Could Panasonic be moving the EVA-2 into the Lumix branded consumer/prosumer catagory?

This same leaker said it was a cine "dream" camera and that it was built "like a tank".

Does this sound like an S1 body?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking this will be something completely new. Not a S or EVA line camera. The rumor said it's using a completely new full frame sensor. They also went on to state it's a "cine dream". So I'm expecting to be blown away. 

If you're gonna dream while you're at it you might as well dream big. 

1. The organic sensor with pixel level sensitivity... no ND needed... and its global shutter to boot.

2. Canon XC15 form-factor.

3. Timecode support with jam sync.

4. Rotating screen.

5. Usable AF.

6. AI effects... film simulations etc...

7. Hyper smooth electronic image stabilization in S35 mode. 

8. Usable ISO 12800.

9. Robust codecs. 

10. Bit rates of 10 or 12 bits.

 

Did I miss anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Skip77 said:

Cine is not going m4/3 and moving backwards

M43 isn't moving backwards, it's merely different. As long as there are cameras being made with smaller sensors there will always be people shooting with them. 

The success of the Pocket4K should tell you all you need to know on whether there's room for M43 cameras in professional productions. 

2 hours ago, Skip77 said:

Why would they need a press conference if they were just moving the EVA to L mount?

Because it's probably more than just the EVA with the new mount? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

The success of the Pocket4K should tell you all you need to know on whether there's room for M43 cameras in professional productions. 

No it doesn't. What P4K does the echo system work with?  And NO again on professional productions. If it's professional and matters and has a budget no way will the client be ok with the P4K as the A camera. You'll get laughed off the set by your hired guns on your crew.

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

It is because Panasonic can sell more L lenses, why would they just keep the EVA1 as a EF mount when they now have their own lenses to sell.

Because you provide an adapter for the EVA to L. No way is this press conference for the EVA to L mount. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skip77 said:

No it doesn't. What P4K does the echo system work with?  And NO again on professional productions. If it's professional and matters and has a budget no way will the client be ok with the P4K as the A camera. You'll get laughed off the set by your hired guns on your crew.

Because you provide an adapter for the EVA to L. No way is this press conference for the EVA to L mount. 

And yet you can shoot a professional film or short or Indy film with a P4K and no one will notice while watching that it wasn’t shot on a “professional” camera. They won’t even care if the story is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I don't think you have a clue how Patents work.

You responded to no-one. I think the majority agree the press conference is not goin to be the EVA to L mount. You always go against the grain for some odd grumpy reason.

 

1 minute ago, Video Hummus said:

And yet you can shoot a professional film or short or Indy film with a P4K and no one will care if the story is good.

As @webrunner5 would say " you can't shoot it on your ass with your iPhone and no one would care".  On set the P4K will get laughed off the set. No one is shooting the next BMW commercial on the P4K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

As @webrunner5 would say " you can't shoot it on your ass with your iPhone and no one would care".  On set the P4K will get laughed off the set. No one is shooting the next BMW commercial on the P4K.

Hmm, but you could if you had too. And thats my point. Take away the elitism and their isn’t a problem. Except that you aren’t using a 10K camera to charge your client to use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

You responded to no-one. I think the majority agree the press conference is not goin to be the EVA to L mount. You always go against the grain for some odd grumpy reason.

 

As @webrunner5 would say " you can't shoot it on your ass with your iPhone and no one would care".  On set the P4K will get laughed off the set. No one is shooting the next BMW commercial on the P4K.

You have no more a clue what is going to happen than me. So we will see what comes out of it. We will both probably be wrong.

And the PK4 is just about as capable of shooting anything you can throw at it. Cine cameras are just a sensor in a box. They have no bells and whistles to talk about. Only the skill it takes to use them. Nobody shooting a BMW commercial is going to use AF. And they can afford V Mount batteries. So it is an even playing field. Hell there is no reason you can't use a Z6 to do it. It can get the job done with skill. Might be harder but. Nobody is going to laugh anyone off any set in this day and age. Output is what counts now. It's a whole new world now from when I was in the industry. Money is not the only factor now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am very impressed with the 10bit H.265 codec in the S1. It looks laughable because of the small file sizes and bitrate (72mbit H.265 = 144mbit H.264) but actually it's surprisingly close to the look of ProRes on my BMPC4K. It also looks less compressed than Sony's 100Mbit codec and more in keeping with a good 140Mbit H.265 4K file... That is close to 10bit ProRes Proxy in terms of the compression (Proxy is 150Mbit in 4K 25p)... But as it's not an ALL-I codec, it doesn't need as high a bitrate to look as good.

Try it, and you will be surprised.

S1 beats the BMPC4K for sensor size and lowlight... not to mention powering the damn thing... and all the extra stuff you get like the massive high res EVF and 5 axis IBIS.

I have a unique problem of needing a camera with high megapixels (40+). Thankfully my BMP4K solves a lot of problems on the video side. Wish it was just one single body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Skip77 said:

No it doesn't. What P4K does the echo system work with?  And NO again on professional productions. If it's professional and matters and has a budget no way will the client be ok with the P4K as the A camera. You'll get laughed off the set by your hired guns on your crew.

You're using falty logic to try and prove your silly point. No, the next Marvel film isn't going to use the Pocket4K as their A cam. No one is claiming otherwise. 

If you don't think there are productions going on right now that are using the Pocket4K, the GH5/GH5s, etc. then your definition of "professional" is incredibly narrow.

Alex Ferrari shot a feature film last year on the original pocket. Hell Soderbergh has used an iPhone to shoot two feature films! But yeah, professionals aren't going to use smaller sensor cameras for professional projects. 

10 hours ago, Skip77 said:

No one is shooting the next BMW commercial on the P4K.

You're talking out of your ass. Again. Unless you're on that set you have no idea what is being used to shoot it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

You're using falty logic to try and prove your silly point. No, the next Marvel film isn't going to use the Pocket4K as their A cam. No one is claiming otherwise. 

If you don't think there are productions going on right now that are using the Pocket4K, the GH5/GH5s, etc. then your definition of "professional" is incredibly narrow.

Alex Ferrari shot a feature film last year on the original pocket. Hell Soderbergh has used an iPhone to shoot two feature films! But yeah, professionals aren't going to use smaller sensor cameras for professional projects. 

You're talking out of your ass. Again. Unless you're on that set you have no idea what is being used to shoot it. 

I know for a fact the p4K is not used on BMW commercials. You guys talk down on the Z6 and anything but a big production cine camera is used on REAL professional productions and when I say the same thong about the P4K you get triggered. 

I don't disagree that the Z6 would be laughed of the set but the P4K with speedboater and limitations would be laughed off any important set as the A camera. BMW would not allow the P4K to be used as the A camera. 

When you get into bigger budgets everything is vetted and approved and NO ONE will risk reputation to put a $1,295 camera as the A camera. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

You just look more stupid every time something comes out of your mouth. You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground about this stuff.

I know more then you do and you're the guy pimping old 1080p camcorders to people. 

I never said the P4K didn't have amazing image quality, ever. But I did use the same analogy that you used on me about important jobs with real budgets the use real cine cameras and gear.  I'm on real productions and talk to real production crews and Black Magic is never the first choice and the P4K is laughed at if it's ever mentioned about bringing it on set.

So instead of talking in riddles and sung the word ass every three sentences try and add some substance to the conversations. You say absolutely nothing but insults all day long. Oh, wait you did use the word "crushed blacks one time". 

Do us a favor: Put up a list of real productions that use the P4K and I'll give you all the credit in the world for backing up what you say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Skip77 said:

I know for a fact the p4K is not used on BMW commercials. You guys talk down on the Z6 and anything but a big production cine camera is used on REAL professional productions and when I say the same thong about the P4K you get triggered. 

I don't disagree that the Z6 would be laughed of the set but the P4K with speedboater and limitations would be laughed off any important set as the A camera. BMW would not allow the P4K to be used as the A camera. 

When you get into bigger budgets everything is vetted and approved and NO ONE will risk reputation to put a $1,295 camera as the A camera. 

You literally ignored every thing I wrote, including examples, that show you're wrong. In fact, your entire argument, which I reiterate is dumb, has changed from "no one will use these cameras for professional productions" to "no one will use these as A cams." 

What does "bigger budget" even mean??? That's such a blanket statement. $2,000,000 is "bigger budget" work for a lot of people. 

All you need to do is go through Blackmagic's old press releases to see the projects that used the original pocket, since BMD promoted pretty much every project that uses a product of theirs, to see that these cameras get used on major projects, including on an Avengers film, A cam or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...