Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

ntblowz

39 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I think this camera is DOA. Between the soon to be  announced Sony A7S3 and the hotly anticipated Sigma fp which is also expected not too far after, I believe Panasonic is bringing a knife to a gunfight with the oversized and overpriced S1H. And if the S1H fails the future of Panasonic's L-mount cameras may well be in doubt.

That's a bit of a stretch. Sony being Sony, you know the a7s3 will be gimped in some way like low bitrates, or they'll finally go 10-bit, but only 8-bit internal, but they'll wow everyone with the new AF system. No way the a7s3 has the video specs of the S1H, that's too far into FS territory. And it'll still have Sony's shitty LCD hinge and useless touchscreen that I hate so much on my a73 and a7r3. Will it get the 5.7mp EVF? Maybe or maybe not. Right now absolutely nothing is known outside of a vague statement saying it will exceed expectations. Given recent releases, my expectations are a new sensor and mild evolutionary updates. 10-bit internal would exceed my expectations, so would PDAF.

The Fp - little is known at this point and Sigma cameras have never really been competitive price wise with others in its class. It wouldn't surprise me if the Fp was $4000. They're a small company and this will be a small volume camera. To make their nut, IMO its not going to be cheap.

Panasonic is playing the long game and with the new Sigma lenses the L-mount will take shape pretty quickly over the next year. The 2.8 zooms are coming in the next few weeks according to rumors. The AF issues do need to be addressed, they really need a more competitive system to make the bodies more adapter friendly with Canon lenses. Right now the AF with adapted lenses is pretty awful. Since the S1H shares a lot with the rest of the S1 line, development costs are lower than a completely new camera like the EVA1. I do think their lens pricing is out of whack, while they are class leading, getting people to buy in is a tall ask when the lenses AND bodies are more expensive than the competition. Sigma lenses can't come fast enough to make the L-mount more viable.

People are saying Nikon mirrorless - and Nikon in general - is dead after the Z6/7's lukewarm reception. The AF update fixed a lot of the issues at launch - they really should have sorted that first, but I can see why they went the route they did. You have to start somewhere, and like Panasonic they got a lot right. How they respond to shortcomings with the next bodies will be telling.

Chris

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
26 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

The Fp - little is known at this point and Sigma cameras have never really been competitive price wise with others in its class. It wouldn't surprise me if the Fp was $4000. They're a small company and this will be a small volume camera. To make their nut, IMO its not going to be cheap.

Sigma have certainly had some steep pricing with their previous cameras but I think the FP will be a different story than the Foveon stuff, which has always been a bit of a passion project for them, and will be a lot more competitive if for no other reason than as a platform to shift more L mount lenses.

And I think it will have to be as well as, on the surface, to the average punter looking at one in a shop it will be offering less (no EVF, no mechanical shutter) than the other mirrorless full frame cameras sat next to it from Nikon, Canon and Sony and has what to most people is a new mount as well.

With those negative points against it, I think it will struggle at much over $2000 and probably die on its arse at anything close to or exceeding $3000.

I hope Sigma think the same though as I really, really want one :) 

5 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Ιt wouldn't surprise me if the Fp was $4000. They're a small company and this will be a small volume camera. To make their nut, IMO its not going to be cheap.

There is no chance that FP will cost more than $2000.

I believe it will land around $1600 but till IBC we will just wonder about.

It’s official: Panasonic S1H announcement on August 27 at 16:00 London time!

The officially Panasonic unveiled specs are:

6K 3:2 capture at 24p

16:9 5.9K capture at up to 30p

‘Multi aspect’ recording including anamorphic 4:3 capture

10-bit DCI and UHD 4K capture at up to 60p

Unlimited recording times

14+ stop V-Log/V-Gamut capture LR

Color reproduction to match Cinema VariCam series

What we heard from our sources:

it has IBIS (up to 6 stop)

cooling fan  to allow for unlimited video recording

‘24,2MP sensor

HFR sound recording

https://www.l-rumors.com/its-official-panasonic-s1h-announcement-on-august-27-at-1600-london-time/#disqus_thread

6 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

This does look like an incredible camera. Raw over HDMI coming! That's exciting. 

But... no announcement of price or release date? Very strange... 

I tuned in a little bit late and didn't hear the raw over HDMI announcement, that's great news!