Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

ntblowz

On 6/5/2019 at 3:24 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

I think its because all these new features are more geared towards the prosumer and run and gun market. People in a professional setting tend to see cameras as just tools. I think its geeks like the people on here, me included, that are cumming over every new release. 

For someone like myself who is often doing 3 jobs at once shooting with a 2 person crew, these type of advances are automatically useful for me. 

In a professional setting you are shooting on say a RED or Arri, all kitted out. You have a 1st AC pulling focus. That type of system has been in place for a long time. I think that's why you hear people saying, auto focus is useless if you are a professional. Why fix what isn't broken. 

Of course when people actually use new tech and discover that you can do a three man job with just one guy that starts to change things. 

Professionals that use RED and Arri should see the value of AF and smaller form factor if it gives them the DR and vdi speed they look for. AF is not the reason professionals don't stay up with the latest and greatest gear. AF is feature you don't have to use. If AF was stable and reliable pros would use it also. If your focus puller sucks what are you gonna do after the fact.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

Professionals that use RED and Arri should see the value of AF and smaller form factor if it gives them the DR and vdi speed they look for. AF is not the reason professionals don't stay up with the latest and greatest gear. AF is feature you don't have to use. If AF was stable and reliable pros would use it also. If your focus puller sucks what are you gonna do after the fact.

I don't personally know a single narrative filmmaker that uses auto focus even when using cameras that have good AF. They all use manual lenses, which gives them complete control over focusing. 

1 hour ago, Skip77 said:

Should see and do see are two different things though. Of course you can use a camera in manual mode but nothing out there right now can compete with a RED or Arri image quality wise. Most hybrids don't have proper SDI or anything either which alone would turn me away from using one on a bigger production. 

I just don't think the demand is there which is why companies like RED or Arri aren't pursuing auto focus tech. The only people that really care are people on the low end. 

For things like auto focus I don't think it's so much about tech really. With a focus puller you have complete control over it. You can pull focus as slow or as fast as you want. You can set multiple focus points. There are just so many reasons for why manual focus is preferred and why AF isn't something they need or want. 

• Super Members

I sometimes like to say that "AF for video hasn't been invented yet". And I'm only half kidding. The camera will never know where I want the focus. And like already mentioned, on big shoots you can have a focus puller, so AF in an Arri is probably not high on the priorities.

Loosley on the topic, found this a bit interesting to watch.

5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I don't personally know a single narrative filmmaker that uses auto focus even when using cameras that have good AF. They all use manual lenses, which gives them complete control over focusing. 

I know what manual focus is used for. That means you missed the point. I said AF on DSLR and mirrorless was not the reason Pro's don't use those cameras. You guys mention AF and say Pro's don't use that and won't use that camera and that's not the reason they don't use that camera. 

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Should see and do see are two different things though. Of course you can use a camera in manual mode but nothing out there right now can compete with a RED or Arri image quality wise. Most hybrids don't have proper SDI or anything either which alone would turn me away from using one on a bigger production. 

I just don't think the demand is there which is why companies like RED or Arri aren't pursuing auto focus tech. The only people that really care are people on the low end. 

You pros are always putting down the people on the low end for some reason.....hmmm.

14 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

I know what manual focus is used for. That means you missed the point. I said AF on DSLR and mirrorless was not the reason Pro's don't use those cameras. You guys mention AF and say Pro's don't use that and won't use that camera and that's not the reason they don't use that camera. 

You pros are always putting down the people on the low end for some reason.....hmmm.

I am on the very low end lol as are most people on here, at least from what I've seen. Except maybe webrunner

Spent some time tinkering with the S1 and I have to admit I really, really like it. Ergos are fantastic and holy cow the EVF is flat out amazing! Touchscreen and LCD are so good, and IBIS looks really impressive as well. The AF and lenses are the big drawback right now. I'm always on the move and I now wear glasses, not going back to MF, especially with modern fly by wire lenses. Though that EVF certainly would help. The S1R/H combo would be a mean one-two punch for someone like me that splits paid work between stills and video. But until the 2.8 trinity and the Sigmas are out, the L-mount is a no go for me, so no GAS ... for now. Plus I'll see what Sony brings this fall with the a7s3 and possibly more with some of the leaked sensors @androidlad has been talking about. But man the grass certainly is greener when you have that camera in hand...

I agree with the video above, the S1H is a big deal when looking at the overall market. Newsshooter's interview says Panasonic brought cutting edge cinema camera tech to a hybrid body before the EVA and Varicam lines, and elements will trickle up to the next versions of those respective cameras. That's huge.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Looks like IBIS will be available in the S1H after all according to Alicia Robbins. Or at least it was available in the version she used to shoot the demo video.

FAEDA062-83DE-4156-9A0F-4842EC6D4717.png

Well this camera has become even more interesting. I do kinda fear that it may put my EVA1 in the dust bin though! 

4 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Well this camera has become even more interesting. I do kinda fear that it may put my EVA1 in the dust bin though! 

All of these cameras are destined for the dustbin sooner or later. There is no keeping up with technology. It's the tech geek in us that drives us to keep upgrading. We wouldn't want to be left behind now would we? I'm very much onboard for more dynamic range. I can fully endorse the idea of having global shutters. But honestly, anything over 4k is overkill. Even 4k is too sharp in most cases. As the screens used to consume the content have shrunken, we might need to seriously ask the question,"Is more resolution really the answer?"

• Administrators
4 hours ago, DBounce said:

All of these cameras are destined for the dustbin sooner or later. There is no keeping up with technology. It's the tech geek in us that drives us to keep upgrading. We wouldn't want to be left behind now would we? I'm very much onboard for more dynamic range. I can fully endorse the idea of having global shutters. But honestly, anything over 4k is overkill. Even 4k is too sharp in most cases. As the screens used to consume the content have shrunken, we might need to seriously ask the question,"Is more resolution really the answer?"

Viewing distances + screen size, not just the size.

I notice nearly every pixel of a 1080p image on a laptop, sat close to it, and same image at cinema sat way back looks like an 8K film scan ;)

Having chosen the virtues of the GH5S over the IBIS of the GH5, I did use IBIS (on my GX80) for a run-around shoot the other day.  It was an absolute delight. 

I used a Zacuto loupe off the screen, and added a small video head for weight.  There was some sensor panning going on, but it was smooth and appropriate for the subject (a fast-moving cultural event).  The footage was more stable than had I used a monopod.

In short I'd be excited to have IBIS as an option on a camera like this.  I wonder if the killer combo would be a fully grown cinema camera (for built in everything) + a little mobile number like the SH1?

On 6/12/2019 at 4:51 PM, MeanRevert said:

Part of me wishes somebody would just gobble up Panasonic, Sony and Blackmagic so we could have the perfect camera:

Panasonic's body, battery life and ergos (don't forget flippy screen!)

Sony's AutoFocus

Blackmagic's color science

A man can dream