Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

ntblowz

I wonder why Panasonic is doing such a soft release. Has this been done in the past by any camera company?

If I was in the market for something like this I would be weighing wether to wait for this S1H or just buy another camera now. At this point we  can’t really count on anything except it’s called the S1H and it shoots 4K 60 internal. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

This video, I think, Really explains what Panasonic has in mind with the S1H. It is not geared for everyone. This is really a poor mans EVA1 to be honest in a smaller form factor.

This camera, I am sure the new Sony a7s mk III will be also, is just going to be an awesome Cine camera for not a lot of money. Great video cameras are not cheap, at least this month lol.

So the only difference in between S1 w/upgrade & S1H is the 6K and anamorphic modes?

Kinda makes S1 a supervalue at the moment with the free upgrade. kudos to panny for doing that!

4 minutes ago, Django said:

So the only difference in between S1 w/upgrade & S1H is the 6K and anamorphic modes?

Kinda makes S1 a supervalue at the moment with the free upgrade. kudos to panny for doing that!

Yeah I just don’t buy it. 6K and anamorphic isn’t value add enough to pay extra for the “H” model. 

Not to mention there are already full frame cameras that are shooting 6K and downsampling to 4K. Isn’t this what the A7iii does?

10 minutes ago, Django said:

Don't forget flippy screen and unlimited record times. Does the S1 have unlimited record times?

I have a feeling there is more to this camera though. Doesn't the S1 only have 8 bit 4k 60p where as the S1H will be 10bit internal.

6 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

There are intangibles that set aside the image from proper cinema cameras over prosumer cameras that go way beyond the spec sheet. 
If Panasonic really are putting all of their highly-regarded Varicam / EVA science into a $4K tool, then that is a remarkable facility to have available.

Perhaps looking at the incremental steps up from GH5 and S1 is the wrong way to look at this camera, and it is better to measure the incremental step down from the existing cinema lines.

As an example, if it lives up to the way Panasonic are selling it, this could be an option for micro-budget feature films, could it not?  £4K for an image you could potentially put up on a movie screen? 

Exactly! Good post. 

I agree that the S1H might be stepping down from the top rather than coming up rom the bottom in quality. The goal is cine quality and instead of spec hunting from what we have in the Gh5 and it's tradeoffs we should look at where the S1H is positioned and what it can do. 

I am also sure the S1H will be Netflix approved by the first off 2020.

29 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Yeah I just don’t buy it. 6K and anamorphic isn’t value add enough to pay extra for the “H” model. 

Not to mention there are already full frame cameras that are shooting 6K and downsampling to 4K. Isn’t this what the A7iii does?

6K from the S1H is 6K 24p (3:2 aspect ratio) OPEN GATE, 5.9K up to 30p (16:9 aspect ratio). 

Once 6K is downsampled to 4k you can't get it back from the A7III or A6500.

And at the end of the day a lot more makes footage cine quality then the spec of "6K and anamorphic". It comes down to the quality that you get.  

Some people will argue that 4K 60 422 on the GH5 is the same as 4K 60 422 on the VariCam and it's not. 

37 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

6K from the S1H is 6K 24p (3:2 aspect ratio) OPEN GATE, 5.9K up to 30p (16:9 aspect ratio). 

And at the end of the day a lot more makes footage cine quality then the spec of "6K and anamorphic". It comes down to the quality that you get.  

Some people will argue that 4K 60 422 on the GH5 is the same as 4K 60 422 on the VariCam and it's not. 

Well the VariCam is a bigger sensor, different look.

34 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

Yes I know. I was just bringing up the fact that sensors in smaller bodies are already shooting in a 6K process. So why all the extra cooling in the camera?

I don’t think anyone was comparing GH5 footage to Varicam. Obviously one has way more dynamic range and color performance. That’s why it’s a 40K+ camera.

4 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Yes I know. I was just bringing up the fact that sensors in smaller bodies are already shooting in a 6K process. So why all the extra cooling in the camera?

I think 10 bit internal may have quite a bit to do with it. And Sony don't seem to care too much about their  8 bit cameras overheating

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

I wonder why Panasonic is doing such a soft release. Has this been done in the past by any camera company?

They did something very similar to this with the GH5 launch. Had a first look with limited information in late 2016 then had a more complete unveiling in early 2017 and released very shortly thereafter. The difference is that back then all we were expected is an update to the GH4. This S1H release seems to have way more at stake with a much more crowded field of competitors.

8 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

They aren't doing 10 bit 4k 60p, other than the XT3, but that is S35 and that body also gets pretty hot.

I was referring to the SH1 doing 10 bit 422 internal. No other camera in its class does 4k 60p 10 bit 422 internal

I've just got an XT3, wonderful camera for its price, have not tested 4k 50p at 400mb for long periods, how long do you think you could record before it overheats? AM curious

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Don't forget flippy screen and unlimited record times. Does the S1 have unlimited record times?

I have a feeling there is more to this camera though. Doesn't the S1 only have 8 bit 4k 60p where as the S1H will be 10bit internal.

S1 has unlimited record for 4K24/30. 

S1 will have 10 bit 4K24/30 and 4:2:2 10-bit 4K up to 60 frames per second via HDMI output