Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

ntblowz

1 hour ago, anonim said:

I noted the same immediately, there are even problems with slight defocusing. (Even nothing to say about choose of actors/dancers and coreography in comparison with some other promo clips, say for Eva 1.) For me, at the moment pretty disappointing, especially keeping in mind pompous advertising of cine dream result. Maybe interesting to remind for comparison

https://vimeo.com/234811303

You're disappointed in what? The DP, defocusing or geee how the camera performed. I love when industry people can't form a complete sentence to back up "why' they don't like something or are disappointed. 

You seem disappointed in a lot of you post and this seems like a meds issue.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think many would agree that I am perhaps as harsh a critic as one would want... that said, I see nothing wrong with the imagery from the S1H. I think it looks quite filmic / organic. I believe the DP probably chose the softer lenses as a way to take off some of the detail that the 6k sensor produces. 

Panasonic should make available some footage with their own L-Mount lenses. That is unless they expect everyone to run out and pick up a set of Atlas Primes?

I'll hold off from criticizing this new camera too much. It's clear to me that it is not a finished product. And features may be added and some even removed, before we see the actual production ready unit. Keep in mind, no one has seen the actual working camera outside of Panasonic and the crew that made the demo video. The unit on display at Cinegear was not a working unit. I would hit the polls that were created and make sure to have your voice heard. Knowing what their audience wants will help out big time with the development, not only of this camera, but also products from the other manufacturers.

I've been following the announcement of this camera and after all the fancy specs that sounds really good on paper, I've realized that, at least for me, this "resolution race, give me more K's stuff" have come to an end. Why? Because if some client ask me specifically for a 6K job I have a lot of better tools than this camera. If you truly need 6K/4K you probably have the budget to rent a RED Dragon/VV/Alexa with far more image quality, lenses, codecs. 

This camera sits in a really weird spot, because $2000/$2500 cameras are really good. But if I'm going to spend $4000 (add 3000-4000 for cages, batteries, monitors and some lens), maybe save some more money and I will instantly start looking on a more capable tool with a real jump on image quality and ergonomics like a C200 or a used C300MKII, or maybe a used RED. All of them with a good "name" for commercial and indie work. Or if I'm going to shoot an indie movie I can rent an Epic Dragon pack for $1500 a week and got far better quality and workflow.

So as top of the new sort of Rorschach test announcement, now we have to find excuse for such pilot look that could be achieved with any modern camera in hurry, full of crash black sequences (as dancer on the beach), sometimes with erratic focus, actors presented mostly in harsh silhouette mode, washed-black kiss in the dark, as the strange goal is to point to very low DR capacity, all in all everything following total mist of reason to make any conclusion.

Panasonic doesn't even give place for critic, because everything is so comic undetermined from its side... but actually everything is pretty funny experience, at least for me.

I'd call this announcement Rorschach test type, because when looking at such quarter baked prototype product (open to later changes), everyone is forced to add/project personal content (speculation, wishes, fantasies, comparison, fan preferences etc.) struggling to make image enough rich and full for discussion.

But one of the good sides of such Rorschach approach is superior help to faster disclosing someone's level of socialization or evolution as human... as, I'd say, mr @Skip77 brilliantly prove, probably searching at this forum a safe mercy place where will not be skipped (maybe for 78. time after he proudly revealed to someone as also to us such relevant fact that his grandfather has 3 Purple Hearts and is buried at Arlington), with his ingenious USA-superego-of-the-world or Panasonic-as-dream-pistol projection/vocabulary of frustrated aggressiveness.

First it was Nikon Z6 that was smashed to bits and now the Lumix S1H is basically destroyed by you people. Even the United States and prices came into play on this thread. 

The proof is in the footage and how it captures that data and WE ALL SHOULD KNOW THIS BY NOW. We all rent or have rented the RED or C200 and do this for a reason. Some of you do influence people on what cameras they should look at and what cameras produce the best video quality. Sadly it seems very hard to get honest information that come from years or hard work and experience. It's just a beat up the latest brand that's not Sony and let that band fall apart.

Why? No one on here has used the S1H and all this talk about it being crap and failing is pathetic. Let's talk gear and about the craft we work in because that's why we joined this group.

12 minutes ago, anonim said:

So as top of the new sort of Rorschach test announcement, now we have to find excuse for such pilot look that could be achieved with any modern camera in hurry, full of crash black sequences (as dancer on the beach), sometimes with erratic focus, actors presented mostly in harsh silhouette mode, washed-black kiss in the dark, as the strange goal is to point to very low DR capacity, all in all everything following total mist of reason to make any conclusion.

Panasonic doesn't even give place for critic, because everything is so comic undetermined from its side... but actually everything is pretty funny experience, at least for me.

I'd call this announcement Rorschach test type, because when looking at such quarter baked prototype product (open to later changes), everyone is forced to add/project personal content (speculation, wishes, fantasies, comparison, fan preferences etc.) struggling to make image enough rich and full for discussion.

But one of the good sides of such Rorschach approach is superior help to faster disclosing someone's level of socialization or evolution as human... as, I'd say, mr @Skip77 brilliantly prove, probably searching at this forum a safe mercy place where will not be skipped (maybe for 78. time after he proudly revealed to someone as also to us such relevant fact that his grandfather has 3 Purple Hearts and is buried at Arlington), with his ingenious USA-superego-of-the-world or Panasonic-as-dream-pistol projection/vocabulary of frustrated aggressiveness.

I haven't searched this forum for anyone or any behavior that wasn't present by your post and others that aggressively have hate and distain for America. The same kind of hate caries over the how you and they comment towards companies they want to fail. 

As far as my grandfather goes and his service to this country I would say that speaks for itself and other that have done the same and made sacrifices for this country. 

The S1H and this marketing push followed what Panasonic did with the S1 and S1R and even the EVA-1, so that in itself doesn't deserve the hate driven comments some people are making. Panasonic also uses the in-between period to finalize spec and listen to what the market wants. 

I don't blame Panasonic for wanting to be the first to announce a 6K hybrid camera and beat Sony at the same game everyone plays.

15 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

Hate and disdain for America... The same kind of hate caries over the how you and they comment towards companies they want to fail. 

so that in itself doesn't deserve the hate driven comments some people are making. 

So poor you sweetywords knight, surround with world full of hate against your flagship opinions :) 

6 minutes ago, anonim said:

So poor you sweetywords knight, surround with world full of hate against your flagship opinions :) 

My comments are my opinions and that's it.  

You've decided to hate on the S1H, Panasonic, my grandfather, my country and me. And you do all of this while knowing nothing about the S1H, Panasonic, my grandfather, my country and me. 

12 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

My comments are my opinions and that's it.  

You've decided to hate on the S1H, Panasonic, my grandfather, my country and me. And you do all of this while knowing nothing about the S1H, Panasonic, my grandfather, my country and me. 

So call universal enemy of you :) With a meds issue... about which I believe you know enough :)

An SLR isn't going to replace a cinema camera but this could easily take the spot of B-cam. Lots of people have used the GH5 as a B or C cam, thats how the GHAlex LUT got created.

I think that will be the production use of this camera as well as an A cam for smaller shoots or run and gun stuff. This is actually the first camera in a while that I am semi excited for.  I think the amount of posts in this thread shows that a lot of other people are as well. 

3 hours ago, Coiii said:

I've been following the announcement of this camera and after all the fancy specs that sounds really good on paper, I've realized that, at least for me, this "resolution race, give me more K's stuff" have come to an end. Why? Because if some client ask me specifically for a 6K job I have a lot of better tools than this camera. If you truly need 6K/4K you probably have the budget to rent a RED Dragon/VV/Alexa with far more image quality, lenses, codecs. 

This camera sits in a really weird spot, because $2000/$2500 cameras are really good. But if I'm going to spend $4000 (add 3000-4000 for cages, batteries, monitors and some lens), maybe save some more money and I will instantly start looking on a more capable tool with a real jump on image quality and ergonomics like a C200 or a used C300MKII, or maybe a used RED. All of them with a good "name" for commercial and indie work. Or if I'm going to shoot an indie movie I can rent an Epic Dragon pack for $1500 a week and got far better quality and workflow.

I think that is so nicely elaborated view from practical terrain work and needs. Being so long almost exclusively user (I mean, as personal property) of Panasonic and BM products, what I dislike/worry about, apart of bizarre misty presentation, and as point of mine reaction/speculation, is simply content behind of that quote of you - "But if I'm going to spend $4000 add 3000-4000 for cages etc..." Finally, it seems that except 6k we can take for sure just price level, almost everything else rest in state could-be or couldn't.
Without doubt, always will be somebody that would gladly spend that sum now, but probably Panasonic will very soon correct it as in case of S1. What worry (so to say) or motivated me, is dangerous of shrinking general possibilities in case of Panasonic's bad estimated strategy with FF line.

44 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

An SLR isn't going to replace a cinema camera but this could easily take the spot of B-cam. Lots of people have used the GH5 as a B or C cam, thats how the GHAlex LUT got created.

I think that will be the production use of this camera as well as an A cam for smaller shoots or run and gun stuff. This is actually the first camera in a while that I am semi excited for.  I think the amount of posts in this thread shows that a lot of other people are as well. 

Again, I think that point of @Coii is strictly tide with price... Every modern top of the line consumer camera may be adapted to be used as A or B. But with higher- than-could-be price Panasonic shrinks possibility that S1cine be used as A camera (in spite of enough comparative characteristics). That's the point of estimation: why don't go little bit closer to route of Pocket4K and catch wider user base, instead of rely on users with pretty elite-like wallet capacity? Why not immediately establish reputation of dream camera between those who are strongest public for dreams - fixing price now as much as could be popular, instead of after several month and bad sale ratings, when, very possibly, new products too arrive? Why with such approach Panasonic forces me to buy Pocket 4K instead of GH5s for double starting price, while I know that at least in my market-region GH5s is, at the end, selling-disaster?

1 hour ago, anonim said:

Again, I think that point of @Coii is strictly tide with price... Every modern top of the line consumer camera may be adapted to be used as A or B. But with higher- than-could-be price Panasonic shrinks possibility that S1cine be used as A camera (in spite of enough comparative characteristics). That's the point of estimation: why don't go little bit closer to route of Pocket4K and catch wider user base, instead of rely on users with pretty elite-like wallet capacity? Why not immediately establish reputation of dream camera between those who are strongest public for dreams - fixing price now as much as could be popular, instead of after several month and bad sale ratings, when, very possibly, new products too arrive? Why with such approach Panasonic forces me to buy Pocket 4K instead of GH5s for double starting price, while I know that at least in my market-region GH5s is, at the end, selling-disaster?

Not sure if the GH5S was a disaster in sales. It hasn't seen a big drop in price like the Z6 has in a short time. 

17 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Not sure if the GH5S was a disaster in sales. It hasn't seen a big drop in price like the Z6 has in a short time. 

The GH5 and GH5s were over priced at release and the GH5 price dropped is probably the biggest price drop in the last 15 years. The GH5s is considered an upgrade over the GH5 so not sure were the price cut would come from.

The Z6 price drop was based on the Canon EOS RP. 

1 hour ago, Skip77 said:

The GH5 and GH5s were over priced at release and the GH5 price dropped is probably the biggest price drop in the last 15 years. The GH5s is considered an upgrade over the GH5 so not sure were the price cut would come from.

How was the EOS RP competing against the Nikon Z6? 

Not sure how the GH5S is an upgrade, kind of just a different camera that was priced higher than the GH5 at launch for no particular reason. 

1 hour ago, Skip77 said:

$2000 for a camera that shot 4K 60p, 4K 4:2:2 and had class leading stabilization in 2017 was overpriced? 

We're literally only now seeing cameras that come close to the capabilities of the GH5. The price decrease is because of how much competition has shown up in the 2 years since release. 

7 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

$2000 for a camera that shot 4K 60p, 4K 4:2:2 and had class leading stabilization in 2017 was overpriced? 

We're literally only now seeing cameras that come close to the capabilities of the GH5. The price decrease is because of how much competition has shown up in the 2 years since release. 

The GH5 was an upgrade to the GH4 and the next release can be even as far as price goes. 12 years ago the JVC camcorder that shot 720p was $8,000 plus a $5,000 tape deck. 

Think in reverse - if the GH5 was $1,999 at release just for the body, do you think Panasonic just dropped the price by $500 in the 1 1/2 years since it was released? That means the BMP4K will be $850 in another year. And it means the GH5s is over or under priced right now. 

50 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

How was the EOS RP competing against the Nikon Z6? 

Not sure how the GH5S is an upgrade, kind of just a different camera that was priced higher than the GH5 at launch for no particular reason. 

Because the EOS PR came out under $1,500 - that's how the PR is competing with the Z6. Not everyone can spend 2K on a camera.