Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

ntblowz

Just now, anonim said:

I'm glad and agree... just I'm little bit sad (and don't like at all) that buyers in USA have privileged price and offers in comparison with rest of the world. Also, I just can't quite understand voices that are in hurry to affirm any starting lust-price decision as "normal" or adequate, using endless argument of fan battles. In my mind, we all are cooperative and corrective force. As it can be seen, few month after S1 reached shops, price and offers are significantly changed... What than is the feeling of those who talked about appropriate initial price as they are owed to be manufacturer's ambassadors...

I don't either. People has an emotional investment in what they buy as if they own shared and they must defend them. It's cute.

You can see this with PC vs Mac, Intel vs AMD, Sony vs Canon vs Nikon vs Canon, etc.

It's just a tool for me. I'll buy whatever fit my needs and budgets. 

I bought the S1 when it's pre-order and I found it to be excellent deal - $2250 with free battery and grip, free 3 years extended warranty, free vlog and has best EVF, ergonomic (to me), IBIS, 4K, new sensor, eyeAF, focus bracketing and high resolution mode. It's only going to be more affordable in the future.

I didn't realize US has the best deal compare to every where in the world. I guess that's one of the plus living in the US with so many issues going on (internet price, 5G, public transportation, etc)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Me too.  I assume you're using the F2.8 panny zooms, which is equivalent to F5.6 DOF even at F2.8 (FF).  Much easier to keep things in focus at F5.6!

Indeed! The 12-35 works great for event shooting, I rarely miss a shot because it's out of focus. And this is fast moving professional wrestling, relatively low light performances, etc. 

For other stuff I use manual focus, in part because I usually am using a manual prime lens, either vintage or one of my Rokinons (85mm T2.2 ❤️), or an adapted Sigma 18-35mm. 

Even if I had the AF of a Canon or Sony my work wouldn't change. My favorite lenses are all manual focus lenses; I kinda feel bad for people that aren't using beautiful vintage glass because they don't want to shoot without auto focus. I love my Minolta lenses! They're affordable, well made, and sharp! 

10 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I kinda feel bad for people that aren't using beautiful vintage glass because they don't want to shoot without auto focus. I love my Minolta lenses! They're affordable, well made, and sharp! 

Really without irony, I actually admire people that use AF lenses - every time I tried that, I find myself as stupid without possibility to directly communicate with lens... Also without aperture ring I'm lost. I feel lens as manual painting instrument - I sold nice collection of Contax Zeiss just because Leica R's set feels better in that regard :)

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

There one point I concede is there is a substantial crop in 4K. But there are work arounds for that. The rest of the criticism is largely unwarranted. And at the end of the day you have a lens investment that will live on as you upgrade to newer and better bodies. I’m not sure the same can be said for the Panasonic? If they omitted PDAF, many will find the price a tough pill to swallow.

I really don't see the big deal with Canon EF lenses for video. I, like others on here hardly ever use AF, and non of the big 3 camera company's lens are worth having for video. They are all fly by wire. They suck ass, but only a few are any good. I just use old MF lenses I can buy for 25 Dollars that get the job done. You aren't going to use long zoom lenses, hell if you have 2 or 3 primes you are set, and a Anamorphic lens or two. I am not going to use EF lenses even on a Canon body. They suck for video. Most of them are 30, 40 years old, noisy as heck..

17 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I really don't see the big deal with Canon EF lenses for video. I, like others on here hardly ever use AF, and non of the big 3 camera company's lens are worth having for video. They are all fly by wire. They suck ass, but on a few are any good. I just use old MF lenses I can buy for 25 Dollars that get the job done. You aren't going to use long zoom lenses, hell if you have 2 or 3 primes you are set, and a Anamorphic lens or two. I am not going to use EF lenses even on a Canon body. They suck for video. Most of them are 30, 40 years old.

Not everyone needs AF. Just as not everyone needs IBIS... what you really need is a camera that captures gyroscopic metadata and stores it with the movie file so that you can use software such as Reel Steady to stabilize your footage in post.

I'm often using motion controllers. I like to use the motors to drive zoom instead of focus.  With a reliable AF this works amazingly well. It's great for effortlessly creating parallax shots. 

I guess my point is, reliable AF gives you options... and can make getting the shot a little easier. 

20190601_145958.jpg

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Oh I am not saying the Canon EOS R is not a great camera in some respects, and if it fits your needs, which in your case it does, it is a fine camera. They just are Holding too much back for me to plow any big money into them. 

Lol I swear like every thread someone brings up a pitfall about the EOS R and 1 one of the canon trolls comes in and defends it whilst telling ud how it amazing it is for them and their workflow ?

17 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Lol I swear like every thread someone brings up a pitfall about the EOS R and 1 one of the canon trolls comes in and defends it whilst telling ud how it amazing it is for them and their workflow ?

It’s the AF system that’s great. Natural transitions with no micro hunting. I don’t think anyone else has this. Sony’s may be faster, but not better because of the micro-hunting. 

Who knows? Perhaps Panasonic will nail down AF in this camera? Really for me it’s all this body is missing. I don’t really care if it’s weather-sealed or if it has built in NDs. 

The image quality was never in question, so long as it as good or better than the other S-series cameras. 

I have the S1 and plan to buy a second.

Here’s my reasoning:

I preordered then purchased at full price the S1 body/24-105 “kit.” The overall build quality of the amazing body and lens, BASE (pre-July firmware) specs and overall still and video performance justified that price. Plus, I received $300 off lens full retail when purchased as kit. Add a free $87 battery and $347 grip (improves portrait ergos and triples shoot time) and you have an amazing deal ($734 savings so far.) Add free warranty extension for two additional years and — wow! Add $199 film maker firmware update for FREE and I’m effing GRATEFUL! Add a second body for $550-$850 off with trade in and bonus (total) AND free film maker firmware AND 3 year warranty AND...

Total discount (not including value of 2 3-year warranties) when compared to buying all items separately:

2 S1 bodies, 2 firmware upgrades, 1 24-105 f/4, 1 extra camera battery, 1 S1 battery grip.

Retail total $7123. My total $5044!

And, we can expect 1600MB/s CFExpress compatibility at 1tb capacity.

And I have in hand passive legacy glass adapters for Nikon G, Nikon F and Minolta MD.

And Sigma native primes are coming.

And Kipon makes a Mamiya MF focal reducer.

Nothing YET from Metabones, but just imagine what they’ll offer based on prior offerings...

I could go on.

Seriously. How can everyone not be buying S1s?

12 minutes ago, Laser Blue said:

Here’s my reasoning:

I preordered then purchased at full price the S1 body/24-105 “kit.” The overall build quality of the amazing body and lens, BASE (pre-July firmware) specs and overall still and video performance justified that price. Plus, I received $300 off lens full retail when purchased as kit. Add a free $87 battery and $347 grip (improves portrait ergos and triples shoot time) and you have an amazing deal ($734 savings so far.) Add free warranty extension for two additional years and — wow! Add $199 film maker firmware update for FREE and I’m effing GRATEFUL! Add a second body for $550-$850 off with trade in and bonus (total) AND free film maker firmware AND 3 year warranty AND...

Total discount (not including value of 2 3-year warranties) when compared to buying all items separately:

2 S1 bodies, 2 firmware upgrades, 1 24-105 f/4, 1 extra camera battery, 1 S1 battery grip.

And I have in hand passive legacy glass adapters for Nikon G, Nikon F and Minolta MD.

Nothing YET from Metabones, but just imagine what they’ll offer based on prior offerings...

I could go on.

I bought S1 and love it. I likely buying a second one as backup in the future and get a native lens when Sigma release a zoom lens.

Why not buy the S1? People who already invested into one system, prioritize size and weight and want the best AF.

No IBIS is a bummer. Really hoping they include internal ND's somehow. 

I think Pana auto focus might be state of the art if they incorporate phase detect. They seem to have a pretty advanced ai system in there already.

3 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

To get a FF look, they'd have to bin or line skip to avoid reading 24MP at 60fps. So it's either keep the FOV and have binning artifacts, or crop and get fewer artifacts in the image.

They should just include both options and let the user decide. 

41 minutes ago, Jordan Garcia said:

Where can I find that deal Laser blue>

Adorama offers the S1 body with firmware upgrade, $400 trade in credit and offers the most credit IF you trade in a camcorder with XLR inputs. So, trade in a camcorder with $450 camera value + $400 trade in value = $1647 for body or $2547 for body + 24-105 f/4. Including 3 year warranty and filmmaker firmware update.

1 hour ago, Laser Blue said:

Here’s my reasoning:

I could go on.

You're the wife that says "hey honey I saved 80%" today and the alpha male says "but how much did you spend"? The S1 might be ok but it's like any of the new cameras with everyone questioning the roadmap and how long the will be around. Lens selection, AF performance are a few thing that come into question. Plus with the S1H you have to ask why? The S1 is $2,497 on BH right now.

If I go with Lumix and the S1 or S1H I want what's advertised and that is AF. No more GH5 AF garbage. 

1 hour ago, Laser Blue said:

Adorama offers the S1 body with firmware upgrade, $400 trade in credit and offers the most credit IF you trade in a camcorder with XLR inputs. So, trade in a camcorder with $450 camera value + $400 trade in value = $1647 for body or $2547 for body + 24-105 f/4. Including 3 year warranty and filmmaker firmware update.

Some people don't have a camcorder to trade in........how long have you worked for Panasonic Mr. Blue? 

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

.Even if I had the AF of a Canon or Sony my work wouldn't change. My favorite lenses are all manual focus lenses; I kinda feel bad for people that aren't using beautiful vintage glass because they don't want to shoot without auto focus. I love my Minolta lenses! They're affordable, well made, and sharp! 

Yeah I also like Minolta glass, probably more than Nikon for some reason. Though my speedboosters are for Nikon as well as my Film camera, so I'll probably sell all of my minolta glass. The 35mm 1.8 is tough to get rid of though. 

3 hours ago, anonim said:

Really without irony, I actually admire people that use AF lenses - every time I tried that, I find myself as stupid without possibility to directly communicate with lens... Also without aperture ring I'm lost. I feel lens as manual painting instrument - I sold nice collection of Contax Zeiss just because Leica R's set feels better in that regard :)

I use both personally. The one nice thing about Fuji auto focus glass is they have manual aperture rings. I agree lenses without a manual aperture ring drive me crazy. I've also gotten used to being able to adjust the shutter speed and iso with a dial on the Fuji cameras which is awesome. 

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I also like Minolta glass, probably more than Nikon for some reason. Though my speedboosters are for Nikon as well as my Film camera, so I'll probably sell all of my minolta glass. The 35mm 1.8 is tough to get rid of though. 

Check this out if you're a M43 shooter. I bought one and it works great, though I've been just using a regular adapter for a lot of stuff! 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F182232037366

I imagine there's similar for other mounts!