Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Also how does all this affect the GH6, both in terms of specs and price? 

Very interesting question.  Maybe the GH6 will be similar in terms of specs, but just in the MFT format and GH5-ish body, maybe the GH6 will be lesser than this and it will push the serious GH5/s users to FF, maybe it delays the GH6 announcement, maybe it kills the GH6 altogether.  

At the point when people are talking about how it's hard to know how to talk about it, because is it a GH5 with better specs and FF for MORE money, is it a similarly-priced but differently specced camera to competitors, is it a feature-reduced version of a FF cine camera for MUCH LESS money...  if this is how people are talking about it then I think we can't even guess what it means for the GH6 and MFT in general.

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Even with my Fuji XT3 I am finding when I go to edit I am rarely ever thinking I wish I had more dynamic range or that there isn't enough color information. Low light is the one area where the Fuji does suffer compared to full frame. 

I get the same experience with my GH5 - DR is fine, image is lovely to work with, low light could be better.  I shoot MF so AF doesn't bother me, but it does some others.  Still, if the S2H comes out in a couple of years time with 14, 15, or 16 stops of DR, or 4K50 10-bit HLG, or 4K100 I would certainly be tempted!

So basically theatrical announcement of semi-information and semi-speculations after pompous countdown, waiting to reactions of user base to decide what actually to put in and what to be price - to me it has something as throwing test bone to dogs. Probably I'm too old fashioned about treatment, but that sole behavior made me resolute to bypass it whatever it has for their ?k$s (once it reach my favorite second hand market).

2 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I feel like the GH6 needs to be perfect. I mean I guess if its priced right thats also a big selling point. If it costs $1500 it doesn't exactly need to match a $4000 camera. 

We have no more costs as operational notion - now it is "ball park" as comparative term... accepting guess-what-I-have marketing attitude, I guess it will be ball-parked 3500$ wait-when-it-once-land dream with some paid-upgrade thrills to make game of expectations longer.

7 hours ago, currensheldon said:

I have a feeling this thing has some more goodies up its sleeve that Panasonic hasn't told us about yet. Let everyone talk about 6K and 10-bit for a couple of months and then drop a few more big things - still holding out hope for internal ND... 

well in that case then they have the worst marketing team ever.

when you release a product you wannna sell as much as possible right from the start and not "wait" for the competitors to launch a new product before selling your product

i just don't get why so many are excited about flippy screen.

we're gonna have 6k vloging, wowwww, now i am excited

source.gif

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

And good luck with an EOS R... You might need to buy new lenses to get any sort of wide end, if all you have is designed for full frame... And the rolling shutter is shit. No IBIS. No 10bit. No 4K/60p. No built in ND, the adapter is needed and it's not a pro piece of kit, sucks in dirt, not easy to go instantly to clear filter, and to top it all off, there's no kind of 120fps at all... Unless you count the 720p line skipped shite. I don't.

I am defently not going to invest in Canon. This is the most user unfriendly company who's only purpose is to milk the existing user base and brand wankers. So fuck Canon. 

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I do think the S1 + Filmmaker Update is a good deal

If you don't need afc and ready to shell out for expensive lenses I guess so. You will be banking on L-mount survival though. It might just fail with current tempo. So it's a risky investment imo. I don't argue that S1 has some cool features and panasonic ergonomics is one of the best. I am very sceptical in L-mount as a system and its future. 

If I let myself dream for a second.. of beeing a Panasonic exec, I would do the following with L-mount:

• Add PDAF, just pay for it, I dont care how you do it, there is no exquse right now not to have it (litterally all other players have it)
  • Sell S1 for 1999, include all promiced updates at start for free
  • Add S1H for 2999 instead of S1R (which no one needs), add build-in electronic ND, add BRAW support, add 4k 90\96 even 8 bit is fine + sell detouchable tiltable EVF fopr 500$ separatly
  • Ask Tamron to make their 28-75 and upcoming 17-28 for L-mount or ask Sigma to create similar lenses
  • Make a good 1.8 nifty-fifty fo 500$ \ ask Sigma

That would be a system a lot of ppl would be very intrested in including me. What Panasonic dont undestand is that they need to provide better specs for less money in the beginning of the system to compete with Sony and Canon. They could do it at their own expense. Pana is a big company they have lots of money so they can afford to loose it or work with zero profit for a year ot two just to gather a user base. Then you can start making profit and sell expensive glass.

10 hours ago, wolf33d said:

The S1 is cool but the AF is unacceptable for me. So there is only Sony now to give us a good FF video camera, let’s see 

If Sony finally does release a full frame camera with 4k60p and 10 bit internal it is going to have to be a much bigger camera than the A7. Their track record for dealing with the heat these specs would bring is abysmal. People have grumbled about the size of the S1 but I don't think a smaller body would work.

Panasonic are the masters of dealing with heat - their cameras haven't suffered with that issue like all it's competitors have. I'm pretty sure that's a big reason we've not seen a Sony a7s3 - there's no way they can squeeze 4k60p in those bodies without it exploding, and now Panasonic have pushed the specs even higher with 6k, Sony will have to bring out a much bigger body to compete

• Super Members
8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You might need to buy new lenses to get any sort of wide end, if all you have is designed for full frame... And the rolling shutter is shit. No IBIS. No 10bit. No 4K/60p. No built in ND, the adapter is needed and it's not a pro piece of kit, sucks in dirt, not easy to go instantly to clear filter, and to top it all off, there's no kind of 120fps at all... Unless you count the 720p line skipped shite. I don't.

The EOS-R isn't perfect but it has no rolling shutter, biggest and most affordable lens lineup in the world, built in ND, stabilization, c-log, high bitrate, great audio, seamless transition between photo and video, and of course a great stills camera built in. 

Until another company releases a camera in the same range to replace it I don't have much choice but to use the awful Canon.. ;)

2 minutes ago, ade towell said:

If Sony finally does release a full frame camera with 4k60p and 10 bit internal it is going to have to be a much bigger camera than the A7. Their track record for dealing with the heat these specs would bring is abysmal. People have grumbled about the size of the S1 but I don't think a smaller body would work.

Panasonic are the masters of dealing with heat - their cameras haven't suffered with that issue like all it's competitors have. I'm pretty sure that's a big reason we've not seen a Sony a7s3 - there's no way they can squeeze 4k60p in those bodies without it exploding, and now Panasonic have pushed the specs even higher with 6k, Sony will have to bring out a much bigger body to compete

So let them bring it. I dont mind Sony's bigger body at all. I would prefet bigger body with working 4k90p and build in-ND and better IBIS over current A7 cameras any day.

Mattias you're talking about a hd camera with no rolling shutter. In 4k it's a disaster. A little misleading don't you think.

7 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

So let them bring it. I dont mind Sony's bigger body at all. I would prefet bigger body with working 4k90p and build in-ND and better IBIS over current A7 cameras any day.

Yes that would be amazeballs, i hope they do, but when? It would need 10 bit as well cause slog isn't workable in 8 bit and all the other colour profiles on Sony are horrible and lack DR. And yes their IBIS is way behind Panasonic as well at the moment

You conveniently forgot (yet again) about its crap 4k too.

The Eos-r is only really workable to me as a HD camera. For the price that's pretty pathetic in 2019 - here in the UK the EOS-r is £2349 with adaptor, the S1 is £2199 with full V-log. Other than AF the S1 in my opinion is way more of a camera for less money. And DBounce I'm not sure where all this talk about the S1 being way more expensive than the rest has come from. The Nikon z6 is only £1529 though, that's a pretty good deal

Apologies for going a little off topic

31 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Ive seen a lot of complaints about video AF in this thread, do people actually use AF when shooting video?

I've shot a variety of different projects and not once thought 'I could really do with autofocus right now'.

There is one area that favours good AF and that's when covering live events (festivals, sports etc) where you don't have any kind of control over your subject. You have about 1-2 seconds to capture the moment and nailing focus manually within that time frame is quite difficult (atleast for me). In those cases the difference between a average AF and good AF can be a life saver. So I do think that AF provides value to a camera even though maybe a lot of us never have to use it in controlled situations.