Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This thread is pretty hot right now. For whatever reason Panasonic cameras tend to create a lot of buzz, or maybe there is just a big fan base around them. 

You look at the long ass threads surrounding cameras like the GH2, GH4, GH5 but something like the Fuji XT3 didn't get much attention, outside of maybe a bit on this board. 

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

An Alexa or RED doesn't have PDAF either! Manual focus like in cinema is fine by me... and when you need video AF, keep a cheap second body like an A6400 handy.

Alexa and RED are made for professional productions with "real budgets" and "real crews". So needless to say a dedicated focus puller is generally part of the production's expense. But if you want to see some piss poor RED footage just do a search for "RED Raven footage". A lot of aspiring filmmaker bought that camera thinking they could do it alone... what a cluster Fuk of out of focus mess. 

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It is only the first year. Will get better in terms of native lenses. Until then, you can adapt only... everything.

WTF? Cinema people shoot selfies now?

It's not for selfies... it's so a solo operator can frame their shots etc... without needing the talent in the scene. This of course is yet another issue a major production does not have to worry about.

Just now, RWR said:

no flip out screen on specific cine model?? 

WTF? Cinema people shoot selfies now? 

Right..THAT'S  the only use.

I too like the flip out screen, but cinema folks aren't relying on a flip out screen to begin with, they're using an external monitor. I also don't understand why people thought the body would be much different than the S1 or the S1R. 

Overall $4k for a camera that does full frame video with all those features is very reasonable for anyone that wants/needs those features. 

4 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

This thread is pretty hot right now. For whatever reason Panasonic cameras tend to create a lot of buzz, or maybe there is just a big fan base around them. 

You look at the long ass threads surrounding cameras like the GH2, GH4, GH5 but something like the Fuji XT3 didn't get much attention, outside of maybe a bit on this board. 

Probably because of longer reputation? Anyhow, what's interested (and amuze) me the most, is introduction of brave new marketing vocabulary... First I was quite skeptical about targeted users with this camera+lens combination, but now I understand that Panasonic bring innovation in marketing, calling hearts with first touch of poetry.

(I can't imagine cinema maker that will buy this niche dream and than rigged it instead of UMP4.6.)

Just now, newfoundmass said:

No, there wasn't. 

If it is - as seems - replication of GH line, than why to expect IBIS... We learned from many threads that all serious filmmakers don't use that stupid IBIS that produce microjitters and doesn't allow to put camera on cars...

(I can't imagine cinema maker that will buy this niche dream and than rigged it instead of UMP4.6.)

Which has a "selfie" flip out screen ;)

Regarding expectations, they were broken with the S1 in the sense that anyone used to the utility of an articulating screen on the GH series would wonder "WTF".

Maybe Panny should have removed the screen entirely to prove cine cred.

I take it no timecode input on this cine camera?

17 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Alexa and RED are made for professional productions with "real budgets" and "real crews". So needless to say a dedicated focus puller is generally part of the production's expense. But if you want to see some piss poor RED footage just do a search for "RED Raven footage". A lot of aspiring filmmaker bought that camera thinking they could do it alone... what a cluster Fuk of out of focus mess. 

It's not for selfies... it's so a solo operator can frame their shots etc... without needing the talent in the scene. This of course is yet another issue a major production does not have to worry about.

The S1H is clearly made and marketed towards production professionals. It was released at Cine Gear and the "cine" and "cinema" verbiage used to announce it should give that away. 

Most of the folks buying this camera will use external monitors anyway. 

You weren't going to be happy short of it having PDAF and a flip out screen. That it leads the way in every other category is irrelevant to you, so I don't think you're their target customer. Best to wait for the A7Siii maybe and hope that it can do 4K60p without combusting? 

13 minutes ago, anonim said:

Probably because of longer reputation? Anyhow, what's interested (and amuze) me the most, is introduction of brave new marketing vocabulary... First I was quite skeptical about targeted users with this camera+lens combination, but now I understand that Panasonic bring innovation in marketing, calling hearts with first touch of poetry.

True though in terms of image quality the S1H will probably be superior in many ways. Probably little to no moire, 6k retaining more detail than the URSA's 4.6k. The lowlight performance will make the URSA look like a GH1. 

If I were to do documentary's this camera would be hard to beat. 

People make the mistake of shooting wide open all the time and getting soft spots. The cool thing about cameras like the S1H is that even low light you can shoot with a higher aperture by just bumping up the iso to 12,800 or even 24,000. 

17 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

The S1H is clearly made and marketed towards production professionals. It was released at Cine Gear and the "cine" and "cinema" verbiage used to announce should give that away. 

Most of the folks buying this camera will use external monitors anyway. 

You weren't going to be happy short of it having PDAF and a flip out screen. That it leads the way in every other category is irrelevant to you, so I don't think you're their target customer. Best to wait for the A7Siii maybe and hope that it can do 4K60p without combusting? 

Ha yes this is the truth - DBounce has been ragging on a camera that obviously isn't aimed at him whilst having spent £2300 on an EOS-r that to me is so crippled in 4k it's only really useable in HD. That's a lot of money for HD In 2019. That camera obviously wasn't aimed at me. Is all to do with perspective I guess...

6 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

True though in terms of image quality the S1H will probably be superior in many ways. Probably little to no moire, 6k retaining more detail than the URSA's 4.6k. The lowlight performance will make the URSA look like a GH1. 

That last claim is, of course, exaggerating... furthermore, cinema (dream) go always with proper light, and non-debayered ISO3200 is great. "Superior" image doesn't mean anything anymore, especially today - somebody search for "filmic", somebody for "sharp" and, actually, UMP4.6 is criticized for being to detailed. (What superior is for me is - RAW, maybe USB recording.)

But comparing proper modern cinema camera with xlr outputs, ND filter etc. with this "learn-how-to-dream-again-and-proper-in-6k" camera is, I think, wrong, at least in term  of filmmaking. Without doubt, Panasonic is indeed nice achievement, but question, after all hype, will be - really, for whom.

Just now, mercer said:

Do we know if this is the same sensor as the S1? And isn’t the S1 a 6K sensor so it’s doing a clean downscale whereas with the S1H, you may get more moire?

I think that those who pay for it 4000$-4500e and put Leica on it - simply will not see any moire (or it will be cinematic one, sort of anew-dreamy).

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

And you seemed to have left out a few important feature the S1 lacks...

EOS R:

1. Higher resolution sensor. 

2. The most cinematic AF system to date. With no micro-hunting as witnessed in other system. 

3. Usable AF in low light conditions down to -6EV.

4. Seamless use of legacy glass. 

5. ND adapter.

6. Robust codec.

7. Massive lens collection with included adapter.

8. Great color science.

9. More manageable size/weight... which means for many it’s more likely to be carried.

10. And most importantly... IT’S A CANON!

OK, maybe that last one is more important to some people than others, but there it is.

And you left out the X24734 crop the EOS R has and no IBIS. Who on earth is defending Canon and it's left behind features?