Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 5/30/2019 at 7:22 AM, DBounce said:

This looks like a pretty legitimate article... so the "game changer", the "cinema dream" is 6k @ 24 fps? A feature no one was asking for?

No flip screen, no PDAF and no built in ND? Disappointing. I think Panasonic will remain a distant last place sales wise. No one had a problem with the image quality of the S1. Personally, I really like the image of the S1. What the majority of people had a problem with was the contrast detect AF and the lack of a flip screen. Built in ND, while nice to have, was never expected on a hybrid... so it didn't lose points for lacking it. Leaving out the two most requested features is a huge disappointment... again!

Oh well, nothing to see folks, just a more usable 6k photo mode... that no one asked for.

$1500 markup over the S1 ?.... ?

3 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

So.. the rumors were correct - no NDs, no PDAF (dont even bother), no flip-screen.. nothing really important.. just 6k 24p and 4k60p.. at 4 GRAND$$$

Thanks, I will pass. Waiting for A7S3 and GH6 now. 

I mean, there's no camera on the market that can do what it can do in that price range. And given there was speculation that it'd be in the $6k range, $4k sounds reasonable enough. 

If you think the A7Siii will be that much cheaper, and come even close to the capability of the S1H without the risk of exploding you will probably be really disappointed. 

I too though am waiting for the GH6. 

I can't help but feeling slighty disappointed. I really want to like their l-mount line but man it's difficult ?

It looks all right but that's about it.

Feels like panasonic is doing everything wrong with the l-mount, I mean they have the right ideas but seems like they fail to execute in the correct way. It's weird because with the GH line they have been doing everything right. But it might just be me being negative, looking forward to read those that feeling positive about it! 

5 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

If you think the A7Siii will be that much cheaper, and come even close to the capability of the S1H without the risk of exploding you will probably be really disappointed. 

Oh I am sure A7S3 will be cheaper, they have A9 as the expensive one, but the main reason is not the body, it's lenses. Look at Tamron and Samyang lenses, then compare that to Panasonic and Leica. And ofc Sony will have some kick ass sensor. Need internal NDs really bad, crossed fingers for that. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, andjo said:

I can't help but feeling slighty disappointed. I really want to like their l-mount line but man it's difficult ?

Feels like panasonic is doing everything wrong with the l-mount, I mean they have the right ideas but seems like they fail to execute in the correct way. It's weird because with the GH line they have been doing everything right. But it might just be me being negative, looking forward to read those that feeling positive about it! 

Maybe you can help them out by saying WHY you don't like L-mount and what is wrong with it.

I get that the lens road map from Panasonic is pretty sparse and Leica expensive... but there is a LOT to come from Sigma.

this camera is head and shoulders above anything else for video, 4k 60p 10 bit 422 internal ,over 14 stops of DR - very impressive... but with the now free vlog upgrade on the S1 and all the video goodness that brings and IBIS, the S1 is the more appealing choice to me

2 minutes ago, andjo said:

I actually have very similar feelings to yours. IMO their mistakes are:

- pricing 

- religious denial of PDAF 

- lenses size, pricing and general closness of L-mount standart (why the hack didn't they open it like MFT?) 

- no real breakthrough tech - built-ND, global shutter, 4k 120p, raw, etc

- no flip out screen on specific cine model?? 

I was hoping that Panasonic's new dream camera solved some of the ergonomic and logistical problems of shooting with a DSLM. Sounds like the only change from the S1 is the recording format and resolution, which is a great improvement, but not something I'm interested in paying $4k for, considering the amazing quality of cheaper cameras that are no worse ergonomically.

Just now, Amazeballs said:

Oh I am sure A7S3 will be cheaper, they have A9 as the expensive one, but the main reason is not the body, it's lenses. Look at Tamron and Samyang lenses, then that compare to Panasonic and Leica. And ofc Sony will have some kick ass sensor. Need internal NDs really bad, crossed fingers for that. 

The A9 isn't targeted towards filmmaking. 

The A7Sii was $3,000 on launch. If the A7Siii is less than $3,500 I'll be shocked. 

I agree though about lenses, they are definitely the weak point. 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

I actually have very similar feelings to yours. IMO their mistakes are:

- pricing

What part of $2500 for a full frame 10bit V-LOG shooting camera isn't a bargain? The $2000 or the $500? Oh and it is also a kick ass stills camera with best EVF on the market and Super 35mm 4K 60p like an X-T3, but still isn't a bargain?

- religious denial of PDAF

An Alexa or RED doesn't have PDAF either! Manual focus for cinema is fine by me... My best lenses are MF. And when you need video AF, keep a cheap second body like an A6400 handy.

- lenses size, pricing and general closness of L-mount standart (why the hack didn't they open it like MFT?)

It is only the first year. Will get better in terms of native lenses. Until then, you can adapt only... everything.

- no real breakthrough tech - built-ND, global shutter, 4k 120p, raw, etc

Well, you will have to criticise everyone in that case because nobody is doing a $2500 full frame camera with global shutter, 4K 120p raw and built in ND... And if they did, it would be by RED and cost $50,000.

- no flip out screen on specific cine model?? 

WTF? Cinema people shoot selfies now?