Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
39 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

This looks like a pretty legitimate article... so the "game changer", the "cinema dream" is 6k @ 24 fps? A feature no one was asking for?

No flip screen, no PDAF and no built in ND? Disappointing. I think Panasonic will remain a distant last place sales wise. No one had a problem with the image quality of the S1. Personally, I really like the image of the S1. What the majority of people had a problem with was the contrast detect AF and the lack of a flip screen. Built in ND, while nice to have, was never expected on a hybrid... so it didn't lose points for lacking it. Leaving out the two most requested features is a huge disappointment... again!

Oh well, nothing to see folks, just a more usable 6k photo mode... that no one asked for.

32 minutes ago, DBounce said:

This looks like a pretty legitimate article... so the "game changer", the "cinema dream" is 6k @ 24 fps? A feature no one was asking for?

No flip screen, no PDAF and no built in ND? Disappointing. I think Panasonic will remain a distant last place sales wise. No one had a problem with the image quality of the S1. Personally, I really like the image of the S1. What the majority of people had a problem with was the contrast detect AF and the lack of a flip screen. Built in ND, while nice to have, was never expected on a hybrid... so it didn't lose points for lacking it. Leaving out the two most requested features is a huge disappointment... again!

Oh well, nothing to see folks, just a more usable 6k photo mode... that no one asked for.

That press text doesn't tell us everything, like no mention of external recording options. 

The big bit I did notice is full frame 4k60p at 10bit. No other full frame mirrorless does that. I hope it's true. 

If the 4k60p bit is the only significant difference, then the S1 could be the bargain of the year! 

The price of the S1H will be the deal breaker - please don't be "much more" than the S1R! 

The S1 already has 14.5 Stops of Dynamic range for stills. So the majority of this, with the right codec can be used for video (close to 14 stops). Not sure what the S1H has to offer, in addition, except for the 6k resolution for video (And stills)? 

7 minutes ago, Django said:

Price will make or break this thing. But for now it's just Panny flexing hard at Cine Gear: 6K FF first biiitches!!! 

I’ll agree, if priced VERY aggressively, it will sell. But that price is going to need to be no more than the competition... Canon, Nikon and Sony... all priced well below $2k.

I am holding to my P4K acquire since last year, hoping for something better, holding for something more. 

Never happened.

I am amazed that noone is getting what the market really wants, except BM and Z..

This camera in no way interests me at all. If I wanted a hybrid camera there are seriously better propositions in the market at the moment.

29 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The price of the S1H will be the deal breaker - please don't be "much more" than the S1R! 

Maybe "leaking" information is in relationship with reactions on this or similar threads at other relevant forums: little bit of testing targeted community. Maybe +/-500-1000 $euro is quite possible, even maybe +/- in given possibilities of codecs or so... Once when doors of "future paid updates" are open, everything is tolerable.

19 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I am amazed that noone is getting what the market really wants, except BM and Z.

Perhaps BM and Z have much more flexible space for pricing, having different origin. Someone has to know anything about specific way and roots of Japan family private business and to assume that, say, fresh news about urgent obligation for Japan to purchase 105 (!) brand new F35 USA stealth aircraft  has not powerful impact on Japan's economy in total and big brand direction and decisions... in this moment of world's political/economic turning point and dangerous turmoil.

22 minutes ago, Django said:

Seeing how this release plays similar to the GH5S, which priced itself way above its class, I think the +$4K estimation is probably true. 

It's looking like Panasonic blew it again. Was this thing not developed by the folks that designed the GH5? I guess not. Because it's clearly off the mark for many would be purchasers. I'll wait for the official release, but atm this camera is not looking like something I would buy into... that goes for the whole system. The Canon pro bodies should be interesting... depending on what they cripple? The XH2 may well be amazing. And if such a beast is ever released... the Sony A73 will likely be one to watch.

I'm hesitant to buy into the new L-mount system and here's why:

1. Panasonic should be selling all their L-mount cameras at nearly cost (which they are not) otherwise they will never obtain a high enough market-share to make this new line go anywhere. They need to get an-ever-shrinking customer base to buy into their system. Putting out a cinema mirrorless FF camera sounds great, but they very easily could end up being a dinosaur in just a few years time.
  2. The reason why Panasonic became so popular with independent filmmakers was the price of their M43 system.  Most of whom can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment, not thousands. Who will be buying a 4k to 5k or more camera? Most can't afford it. By the time you buy lenses and rigs, you will be needing at least 10k to outift this new camera.
  3. I certainly wouldn't buy into this system until things shake out over the next 12 months or so. Too many other players about to release new cameras. Canon? Sony?
  4. Ask yourself how much are you willing to lose when in another couple years you were to try to sell L-mount cameras and lenses. Chances are their value will drop quickly.

But hey, if you have an unlimited budget...go for it!

• Super Members

In defence of the L mount*, the two most often used mounts for cinema cameras are PL and EF.

There is an adapter for the former and a smart adapter for the latter so the risk such as it is resides in the body.

In this respect it is no different to what people have been doing for years with an FS-5 or an FS-7 etc where you would be putting an adapter on it anyway.

If people don't want to use an adapter then Sigma's L mount lenses will be here before this camera so the situation in terms of fast native lenses at reasonable prices will be completely different then.

I think that considering the track record of the three current members of the L Alliance then the L mount will be around for a good while yet.

Its easy to forget that it has already been around for five years as it is.

* I'll exclude Leica in that defence for being absolute grade A arseholes for not making their cameras compatible with the Sigma MC-21

For me its to the point where cameras are so good and affordable its simply tough to make something that's attractive anymore. You can get a S35 camera that shoots 4k 10 bit up to 60p with good auto focus for 1k. 

This new Panasonic camera is very significant though. Full frame 10 bit 422(assuming) 4k 60p is huge. 6k recording full frame is also huge, I think people will love that. 
The question is of course will Sony put out something that beats it and with their own affordable lens line up and amazing auto focus. 

The next fuji camera could be even more killer as well. 

The lens issue is the real killer for those who don't have 8k to spend on new gear. Though for those adapting glass that will be a non issue.

1 minute ago, KC Kelly said:

But Fuji is not FF, which is what everyone thinks they need.  Instead, you can spend $10000 and get Fujifilm MF

Yes, Fujifilm is taking the mistakes of other companies of NOT releasing compelling and interesting products and capitalizing on them.

If the release of the S1H doesn’t reveal any new features this camera is dead in the water. It’s not really that innovative. Especially since Sony A7siii is like a huge shark in the water everybody knows is there but can’t see (technology wise; I think their ergos and codecs suck).

14 minutes ago, KC Kelly said:

Instead, you can spend $10000 and get Fujifilm MF

Which at least differentiates it self much more than this full frame offering does. The official press release is tomorrow, so who knows? Maybe there will be something in there that is a "game changer" that we all want. But so far, I'm thinking this will be a dud. In fact I am thinking that despite pretty nice image quality, the S-series in general is a dud. Too expensive to attract new adopters. And as was pointed out earlier, in a shrinking market it is just poorly timed. 

I'm not sure why Panasonic thought they could price their bodies for more than Canon, Nikon, Sony and Fuji? But I am pretty certain that strategy will backfire.