Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

ntblowz

If the specs on the image has any sort of substance, I wonder if that means Atomos will reveal a new recorder that supports 6k60p? Maybe they already have that, discard this thought if so. I'm abit out of the loop on external recorders ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Wow just noticed it’s APS-C.

That price has to be wrong. Now I’m thinking under $2k... which is actually not bad. This would go head to head against the Fuji X-T3.

If they expect to sell a Aps-c camera for 5 to 6k, they are mental, you can get a URSA mini G2 for that price.

2k would be a competitive pricing indeed .

6 minutes ago, Laurier said:

If they expect to sell a Aps-c camera for 5 to 6k, they are mental, you can get a URSA mini G2 for that price.

2k would be a competitive pricing indeed .

There is no confirmation on price. If I were to guess... this should be sub $2k. Does Panasonic intends to challenge the Fuji X-T3? Is this also an answer to the Blackmagic P4k? I'm thinking YES. 

Plus, what is more synonymous with cinema than APS-C/S35?

5 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

That image is a fake. 

Proof? We have no proof of the Full Frame rumor either. The fact is either is possible. But to my thinking a $6k Full Frame S1/S1R competitor makes no sense this soon after the release of the L-Mount. APS-C seems more logical.

@DBounce @Castorp

Clearly fake. And why on earth would they release an aps-c camera now?

We all know about the D5 and the 1dxII and you’re right, they have better autofocus and lenses if BIF photography is your thing. But the S1 is every bit as well built and murders them in video. And has an IBIS that is second to none w/r/t full frame sensors.

05BCF580-03BA-4F85-81EC-F20DD9ADBF8E.png

1 hour ago, BrooklynDan said:

I kind of wish that Panasonic would've let go of the mirrorless form factor for this camera. Strictly speaking, there is no good reason to give a purpose-built video camera a mirrorless-style body. It does not really fit with the way people operate cinema cameras. As a hybrid between still and video, OK. But for a dedicated cinema camera, I would've much preferred a LS300/VG900 camcorder-style body. It would make it much easier to accommodate the inevitable PL mount adaptors and pro battery plates. Also, XLR inputs and audio controls.

Yea agreed - if it is really for filmmakers, then just make a true video camera with these specs. 

The S1 is the true hybrid, so it seems strange that this would be called a hybrid version.

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

Those cameras have amazing AF systems. They are sports cameras. They have a professional lens lineup. The are fast and reliable workhorse cameras.

Would you use a S1/R V1 for professional sports? What 70-200 F2.8 will you use? Would you trust the AF? I’ll bet some money these will not be replacing the army’s of Canon bodies you see at national sporting events.

At $2500 - $3k this makes much more sense. But if anything near $6k, well, good luck with that!

Rubbish. It’s not just about autofocus performance. Ergonomics, build quality and reliability are equally or more important in a professional environment.

Autofocus isn’t necessarily important at all for professional use. Depends on the job. 

2 minutes ago, Castorp said:

Rubbish. It’s not just about autofocus performance. Ergonomics, build quality and reliability are equally or more important in a professional environment.

Autofocus isn’t necessarily important at all for professional use. Depends on the job. 

The D5 and 1DXMk2 are sports cameras.... I'll go out on a limb and guess that AF is  pretty important for sports. That is if you want fast paced action shots to be in focus.

3 minutes ago, DBounce said:

The D5 and 1DXMk2 are sports cameras.... I'll go out on a limb and guess that AF is  pretty important for sports. That is if you want fast paced action shots to be in focus.

and equally that was why it is irrelevant bringing it up in a thread about a possible  cine camera

@Andrew Reid Does 8bit/10bit have an impact on the DR? I always imagined it didnt. I know RAW has more DR then prores. But not sure if 10bit prores has more DR then 8bit DR. But it is true that most 8bit camera's are below 12 stops. (then again 16bit magic lantern 5D III RAW also  was just below 12 stops, but that was hitting the limitation of the sensor) But I cant imagine the Alexa when shooting prores is only 12 stops of DR. 

4 minutes ago, ade towell said:

and equally that was why it is irrelevant bringing them up in a thread about a possible  cine camera

I thought "H" was for Hybrid? Or was it Heavy? And at $6K? Which bring us to the D5 and 1DXMk2. In two days more we will see what is what.

5 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Nikon D5 or an Arri cinema camera. Any professional camera. The point is that pro level quality is expensive.

42 minutes ago, ade towell said:

And from the looks of the partially covered photo/screenshot, it seemed shapes similar to the LT with a protruding viewfinder and manual focus ring.

Which means Panasonic is FINALLY moving to Larger Cinema cameras (and thus the L-mount?) probably with improved dynamic range and low light.

This new camera is everything the S1 (with firmware update) but with the addition of;

Same sensor?
6k internal recording. HEVC
Possible electronic ND filter
400mbps All-I in 4k
Vector and waveform scopes
60p 4k from full sensor readout. (Instead of super35 crop)
USB-C solid state drive recording?
$1,000-$2000 more money?

For raw, I was told at the Atomos NAB booth that S1 raw 4k 1:1 super35 crop IS absolutely coming over HDMI. The big question is, will the S1-H have that PLUS 6k raw?