Photography on Steriods

webrunner5

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Pretty amazing stuff, but at the end of the video I think his thoughts apply to not only Photography, but also Video. 95% of the thing is thinking ahead, not just pushing the button and hoping.

And yeah, for @Skip77  it was shot on a Nikon lol.  ?

Great photography and photographer.  

His planning is great but he has the "find the shot or get THE ONE shot" mentality that photographers and cinematographers don't have. He doesn't know what's going to happen when shooting elephants or other animals but he's not leaving till he gets that one perfect shot. 

Lots' of photographers and cinematographers have not clue what that means. 

15 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Pretty amazing stuff, but at the end of the video I think his thoughts apply to not only Photography, but also Video. 95% of the thing is thinking ahead, not just pushing the button and hoping.

And yeah, for @Skip77  it was shot on a Nikon lol.  ?

Great video, and some useful ideas in there I think.

It reminds me of street photography where you're never sure what's going to happen, but it's about reading peoples behaviour, anticipating in the moment, and preparing technically with things like pre-focusing and manual settings, but also finding an interesting spot and studying the backdrop so you know where the compositions are and when someone crosses into the scene monitoring when the composition is good and when the gesture is good and hoping like hell they happen to align.

I could paraphrase his ideas by saying it's preparation through understanding the unknown (behaviour, weather, etc) as much as possible, and persistence by keeping at it, and keeping on pushing harder for better and better results.  Lots of us are probably doing this.  I'm doing it for my travel videos and also my kids sports games.  I'm not great, but I keep at it and I learn and adapt and push forwards :) 

Yeah good take away from it. I think not only his photo skills stand out but his Photoshop, or what ever he uses. Sounds like he uses the Nikon D4s, which is really not that high of MP. Which proves you don't have to have 47mp or photo stitching, or stacking to get a pretty dramatic look if you know your stuff. It is all about skill, and that takes practice and dedication, and as they say, a good eye.

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah good take away from it. I think not only his photo skills stand out but his Photoshop, or what ever he uses. Sounds like he uses the Nikon D4s, which is really not that high of MP. Which proves you don't have to have 47mp or photo stitching, or stacking to get a pretty dramatic look if you know your stuff. It is all about skill, and that takes practice and dedication, and as they say, a good eye.

Yes, his post-processing is pretty powerful.  He also seemed to know a lot about lighting and what conditions he wants, which is a good start.  Lots of those images would be so much less without the dramatic weather to go along with them.

I would imagine that a big component of the popularity of his images is the interaction between animal and environment and especially powering on through adversity, as that's something that most people can identify with on a personal level I think! ???