Dolly Shot Without the Dolly

kaylee

26 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

We have a Wally Dolly at work that is an absolute breeze to setup, and can get you a solid 6-9ft of smooth movement. Might be worth looking into for rental, it’s relatively easy to transport.

thats what im talkin about!!! thank you @Gregormannschaft!!

seems, dare i say, pretty easy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

a gimbal would be easier to use, not 100% the same result but can be really perfect after post

But it requires ridiculous amounts of training to get good results.  Gimbals smooth where the camera points, but not if the camera wobbles when it moves.  

Stick with the tripod on wheels approach if you want a flawless result I think.

depends. if you export 1080 and shot 4k then you have room to stabilize and crop / zoom so it will look smooth. if you export 4k then yes you need a little practice but i think the new gimbals are getting really good and it does help

2 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

depends. if you export 1080 and shot 4k then you have room to stabilize and crop / zoom so it will look smooth. if you export 4k then yes you need a little practice but i think the new gimbals are getting really good and it does help

I'm talking about this:

See how the gimbal shot bobs up and down?  A slider (or dolly) won't let the camera move up/down or perpendicular to the track.

1 minute ago, kye said:

I'm talking about this:

See how the gimbal shot bobs up and down?  A slider (or dolly) won't let the camera move up/down or perpendicular to the track.

right. just saying that you can also set a tracking point in post and voila. but of course it's better if you export in 1080 or 2.5k and shoot 4k.

problem with sliders is that sometimes it is not that easy to use and to get parallel for exemple