Dolly Shot Without the Dolly

kaylee

heeyyy guizee

sooo im trynna figure out how to do a bunch of dolly shots without a dolly...!

i CAN use a dolly on tracks if i have to, BUT that makes stuff wildly complicated for what im planning, you see...

> im designing a short where almost all of the shots are dolly pull backs in different locations. the camera is moving directly away from the subject in space, perpendicular to it, right? we've all seen this a million times

so, im looking at options like sliders and idk where to start rlly, but please keep in mind that whatever devices i use have to stay out of the shot based on the movement described above ^^^

any suggestions yall??? keeping this light, quick, mobile, etc would be great, but I want nice smooth stable dolly-like moves, otherwise between gimbals and post stabilization i wouldnt even worry abt it

i have no idea what my options rlly are. how would you go about doing something like this indie style in 2019?

zoom lens or zoom in post isnt gonna work on this one, i want the camera moving in real space...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, Matt Kieley said:

maybe a gimbal + someone pulling the camera operator in a wheel chair?

ive done that too ? minus the gimbal. at the time it worked pretty well ?

nah i want this to be professional af tho thats the thing. like a spielberg move. its the aesthetic of this entire short so its super important, NOT just one shot u kno

Just now, kaylee said:

ive done that too ? minus the gimbal. at the time it worked pretty well ?

nah i want this to be professional af tho thats the thing. like a spielberg move. its the aesthetic of this entire short so its super important, NOT just one shot u kno

Well then I guess you better set up those tracks and do it for real. If it's really important, then it's worth doing right. 

yeah...

hmm idk im thinkin maybe one of them fancy motorized sliders could work...? ?

then the move could be timed the same over and over... that would be "dope" @webrunner5

as long as the slider itself isnt in my shot, that would work right...?

edit: omg these things are borderline robots and im scared of/hate robots

best thing now is to use a hoverboard or one of these new tech things.

quick exemple but there are so many. time to test your balance ?

funny i just got that in my mailbox after writing my message

https://www.came-tv.com/collections/steadicam/products/came-tv-defiance-versatile-rickshaw-with-video-stabilizer-single-arm-22-54?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=nl+Defiance+05.20.19

52 minutes ago, kaylee said:

@anonim whats been up? you havent liked it?

Not, quite contrary, I've found my last one is best of all (Mozza Aircross vs various Ziyun and one Feyutech)... but obviously I'm not a person for using gimbal so much, I tend to appreciate more some sort of (little bit heavily) rigged camera for achieving more natural stabilization. But, as I wrote, I'll keep gimbal for quasi dolly (revealing or side tracking or up-stairs) shots that I've found really could be satisfactory replacement (at least for my usage) for several-seconds-lasting dolly movements.

(But if you insist, maybe you can use some baby rolling chairs and put camera on it, or shopping basket with wheels :)

Are there any trees you can hook on? Can't remember the name, but there is a cable thingy you can run and the camera slides on it. Not that expensive or hard to set up, and works great on uneven terrain. You could build one yourself I would think.

Like this one.

https://cinemotiongear.com/blogs/news/videos-of-the-cord-slider-mini