Opus - A GH3 Anamorphic Short

jhero

I've always known the GH3 packed a great punch in its IQ since I saw how much the latitude in the shadows improved over the GH2. It was my first sign that this little beast mixed with the right glass could produce amazing images and finally, having the time to create something for the art of filmmaking, decided to dive into the world of anamorphic and create something that I hope you all enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/71554911

All the technical details are in an article linked on the Vimeo page.

Used the Isco Ultra Star 2x anamorphic lens 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Beautiful work!  I love the grade.

I'm wondering if you find the ISCO a little too "warpy" in the sides on wide lenses with pans...  I've got one myself & yeah, it's sharp as hell, but I find some weird things going on in the sides with a 35mm taking lens.... then again, it might not be lens distortion but rolling shutter being exaggerated by the horizontal stretch.

When do these actually start to vignette on Full Frame?

In APS-C crop on Nikons I've used it with a 50mm. You get slight vignetting then, but not too bad. That's the widest I've used mine. So, on FX the widest possible should be around 75mm, with slight vignetting. Personally I don't have any lens between 50mm and 85mm, so for full frame sensor I haven't used it with a wider lens than 85mm.

As OzNimbus says - they don't squeeze the image evenly. The squeeze at the edges is a bit more than the squeeze in the center. I am guessing that this is the reason some people say they have around 1.7x squeeze, and others say they have around 2x. 

QuickHitRecord: Yep, I think they are overlooked too. Sharp, lovely image.

jhero: Very beautiful footage!

Thanks a lot everyone! 

@OzNimbus Yea! At 35mm, I have to really be careful when panning or else I get some crazy warping. Luckily, not much panning was involved on this shoot

@araucaria I believe 80mm-85mm is the cut off for Full Frame

Very nice work Julien, the balance between tone and compression is just beautiful.

The Ultra Star has a deep seated pedigree in the world of Scopes. It is actually based on the STOP Berthiot Hypergonar and has three elements in the front and two at the rear and is achromatic. The very front element is very thin like filter thickness.

The non constant compression is a feature of the Hypergonar design and one that I particularly like, especially for narrative.

If it is not your cup of tea, then it is simple to correct using the Photoshop filter Spherize. Just shoot some graph paper and choose horizontal mode and swish the slider until all is corrected. After Effects has something similar.

The non constant compression is a feature of the Hypergonar design and one that I particularly like, especially for narrative.

If it is not your cup of tea, then it is simple to correct using the Photoshop filter Spherize. Just shoot some graph paper and choose horizontal mode and swish the slider until all is corrected. After Effects has something similar.

Great information, I'll have to try this sometimes. Thanks John :)

Thanks for your kind words.

I can also add that the Spherize function can also be used to fake the classic Scope look by adding fake squeeze to the sides :)

This is useful when mixing real Scope with deep focus cropped Spherical in a production.