Huawei P30 Pro may be the last, as Google suspends business with Chinese smartphone manufacturer

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

IMG_20190503_150238_polarr.jpg

Huawei will no longer have access to Android and Google Play Services for future devices (nor updates for current ones) after Google suspended business under pressure from the Trump administration. This has implications for Leica as well, who have a partnership with Huawei on the flagship camera phones such as the P30 Pro and Mate20 Pro.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Misinformation and propaganda have always been the tools of choice for failed/failing states.

First of all, Android is "open source", and thus no one can limit access to it: https://source.android.com/

There has been no evidence of wrongdoing on the part of Huawei, but there has been plenty of evidence however of wrongdoing, on the part of the accusers:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-23123964

1 hour ago, kinoseed said:

Misinformation and propaganda have always been the tools of choice for failed/failing states.

First of all, Android is "open source", and thus no one can limit access to it: https://source.android.com/

There has been no evidence of wrongdoing on the part of Huawei, but there has been plenty of evidence however of wrongdoing, on the part of the accusers:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-23123964

AOSP is soo much different than a company using Android with a commercial license that also licenses all of the Google apps for them. You can compile Android yourself for your personal use on any device you can make it work on, but AFAIK you can't sell it without the commercial license. 

As to your second point the whole thing isn't Google saying "Huawei is spying so we're closing business with them", it's Google saying "We need to comply with US law so we're closing business with them".  Whether this ban is right or wrong is another question. 

This certainly had to do with pressure from Apple, Snapdragon and a host of other American IT Companies whose profits are plummeting, and whose future looks bleak, thanks to Chinese companies who have dethroned hundreds of those. Snapdragon can openly abuse monopoly and laws in the US, but the same is not possible all over the world. And accusing Huawei of espionage is hilarious. Google and Facebook and all major silicon valley companies are spying on you 24x7. They probably know more about you than you would. 

I have been wanting more Operating System Platforms than iOS and Android for the longest, and users should have the ability to choose which operating system to have on their smartphones, and not be locked into one for life (of the device, much like MS and Apple). I hope Huawei, Samsung and Sony create a parallel OS, which is more refined than what Android is right now, and that smartphones start actually replacing professional cameras soon enough. Snapdragon is good, but abusing monopoly is unacceptable. 

Also, if HTC, Samsung (whose market dominance was attacked by attempting to false jail their CEO), Sony, Huawei, Redmi, One Plus ever start challenging iPhone ot Snapdragon or whoever else, will they suffer the same fate? Who decides what's fair and what isn't? Ideally I hope this goes to the international court of justice and Google loses billions. 

13 minutes ago, sanveer said:

And accusing Huawei of espionage is hilarious. Google and Facebook and all major silicon valley companies are spying on you 24x7. They probably know more about you than you would. 

I was thinking the same... Not talking about Microsoft hegemony over the pc world ahah.

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

Huawei puts backdoors in their phones. It's a poor choice to trust such a device with any valuable account information. I won't miss them. And frankly I'm glad to see that the government took action to protect consumers and security.

Just my feelings and opinion, but:  given all the tentacular monster companies from the US that live on "spying", collecting data, selling them etc. (not talking about that :  https://www.expressvpn.com/blog/8-ways-the-nsa-spies-on-you/ plus, should we talk about Snowden ? ) and all the disastrous implications for the future... seeing all this mess as a government action to protect consumers and security, is, to me , as surprising as buying trump's idea that by massively arming people it would prevent mass murdering...

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

Huawei puts backdoors in their phones. It's a poor choice to trust such a device with any valuable account information. I won't miss them. And frankly I'm glad to see that the government took action to protect consumers and security.

Those are routers, not phones. Most, if not all, other manufacturers do the same. 

46 minutes ago, sanveer said:

This certainly had to do with pressure from Apple, Snapdragon and a host of other American IT Companies whose profits are plummeting, and whose future looks bleak, thanks to Chinese companies who have dethroned hundreds of those. Snapdragon can openly abuse monopoly and laws in the US, but the same is not possible all over the world. And accusing Huawei of espionage is hilarious. Google and Facebook and all major silicon valley companies are spying on you 24x7. They probably know more about you than you would. 

No, it's more of a "until we can control these who spy on our citizens, then it's fine" type of thing. Which is understandable but I agree with you.

2 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

AOSP is soo much different than a company using Android with a commercial license that also licenses all of the Google apps for them. You can compile Android yourself for your personal use on any device you can make it work on, but AFAIK you can't sell it without the commercial license.

Huawei just like Xiaomi, have all those services, which are offered by the respective companies.
Last time when I got a phone from Honk Kong, it didn't come with A1 nor did they have any google-aps, and those companies only recently started using it, on some of their phones, so it is really not a big deal continuing without google-apps.

What you think of is (and it seems the intended misleading information refers to) Android One, which can't be modified by the vendors.
This is something, which only recently stared being used more widely, and it is rather a strike against Google, as this will definitely hurt their market share.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_One

The news (unconfirmed) that "Qualcomm, Intel, Broadcom break ties, too" is much more concerning, and this, if true, will probably be the official start of the global economic wars.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, DBounce said:

Apple and Google phones don't real generate random numbers, which are necessary for secure encryption. Government backdoor right there.

1 hour ago, kinoseed said:

The news (unconfirmed) that "Qualcomm, Intel, Broadcom break ties, too" is much more concerning, and this, if true, will probably be the official start of the global economic wars.

I am sure these US bluechip companies are thrilled at the empty order book thanks to Donald Tit.

Intel for example is set to lose potentially billions of dollars over next few years in lost Chinese orders.

That Trump has so many people believing in his business skills is a neat trick. Unravelling the entire US economy is his other lesser known neat trick and this is the start of it.

Huawei can afford to lose Qualcomm as can other companies. Snapdragon is replaced by Kirin 980 already in the P30 Pro and many other handsets and I can personally vouch for how fast it is. However, if the Chinese wanted to withdraw a few services.... Let's say "manufacturing"... Where does that leave important US tech giants like Apple and Google? What if Foxconn closed the order books on those companies? And on RED?

A trade war is like any other war. Nobody wins.

China was perhaps trusted too much... they are still a hostile power. While I understand that the NSA has backdoors in most smart hardware... including lightbulbs and microwave ovens; the NSA is not considered a hostile power to those living in the western world. It's unlikely that they will steal you credit card information,  or bank account info. China is yet another story. I understand that many here like Huawei phones,  but how many here would like their phone to be used to remotely initiate a cyber attack unbeknownst to them? Such an incident could leave the owner of the device with some difficult explaining to do. 

I'll pass, I don't need to expose myself to that kind of liability. 

Truly random numbers can be generated on a smartphone by using data from the sensors to seed the PRNG. You can do this in java or kotlin. It's an extra step, which means more time to code. The original issue arose from that fact that the PRNG utilized non-random seed values (serial numbers etc...). If you know the seed value used by the PRNG, and you know the algorithm used to generate the random key, well you can crack the code. It's all in what you are securing and how secure it needs to be. 

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

China was perhaps trusted too much... they are still a hostile power.

You seem to be living in Orwell's distopian world.
War Is Peace, Freedom Is Slavery, and Ignorance Is Strength?

The only "friendlies" in your eyes are the ones you subjugate probably.

Huawei is not "trusted blindly" - the technology is tested and checked, and all security investigations find that they are safe.
And it looks like with far less bugs and less open to exploits, just because of all that scrutiny.

If a few EU countries like Germany (their technology is used to build 5G networks, and Germany's is 90% done already), conclude Huawei are as safe if not safer than any US tech (well... I'll go with "safer" as any manufacturer and software developer has to disclose the encryption methods, at least... and that is something even I had to do in the past), it seems it's all US fabrication of allegations and nothing more.

https://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzpolitik/huawei-beteiligung-am-5g-ausbau-angela-merkel-nennt-in-japan-bedingung-a-1251592.html

here's a refresher for you:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/02/19/germany_huawei_5g_security/

To sum it up... this is nothing but trying to get the pie of installing and supporting all 5G networks, especially in EU.
Not only because it's a big market, but that will give NSA and USA direct access to spying EU networks. Something they will have very hard time to do against the Chinese tech.

The only good thing about the global economy, until recently, is that is so interconnected and twisted than noone dared to really challenged anyone.

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #35 Peace is good for business.

Now Trump is...seriously, I am not sure what is he trying to do. U.S.A certainly will loose big time on a financial war.

Europe is really well established and are consuming far less than Americans, while they are #1 in renewable energy and recycling, so they can manage to produce and not waste as much, while China and India -they already do -can rise their middle class and consume independantly of the western world. Those 2 are very well connected with Africa, which is the next big thing.

(Oh, there is also this by the way,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/africa/1192493/china-spied-on-african-union-headquarters-for-five-years/amp/ )

China is so big right now, and it is getting bigger, especially now that they do not have the 1 kid policy anymore, that they sneeze and we are catching cold..

Here we are not worrying much about Huawei, everyone spies on everyone anyway, but our SOUVLAKI and GYROS is in danger because of the Chinese, and that is a major crisis!

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2019/04/20/souvlaki-price-increase-protest-rally/

Oh! And Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #34 War is good for business, also..