Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K: CF cards formatting issue

Danielius

Hi,

Im a recent URSA Mini 4.6K adopter (not the pro version), so I’m unsure if it’s a common issue or not.

I’m using two SanDisk 256GB CFast 2.0 Extreme Pro-cards: one of which works fine with the camera, and the other one keeps getting an error message every-time I try to format it inside the camera (error message says ‘formatting failed. Please check your card and try again’.)

Has anyone else had the same issue? Were you able to fix it or had to buy another card? 

image.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Have you tried formatting to both OS X Extended and ExFat in camera ? 

If that's no help try both options from a computer before putting it into the camera.

Also try that card in both slots, maybe there's an issue with the slot not the card.

Good luck!

12 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Have you tried formatting to both OS X Extended and ExFat in camera ? 

If that's no help try both options from a computer before putting it into the camera.

Also try that card in both slots, maybe there's an issue with the slot not the card.

Good luck!

Thank you, @Anaconda_

I did check both slots and they are working fine with other CF 2.0 cards. 

As you suggested, I formatted the card to ExFat using PC. However, I had to initialize the card first in order to format it. I never had to do this with any camera media in the past. After formatting, the card would record on camera perfectly. Once the card got full, I was able to transfer the files without any issues.

However, if I try to format the card inside the camera, I get the same error message ('formatting failed. Please check your card and try again’.) and the card becomes unusable.
So I have to plug it back into the PC and initialize it again. And then it becomes recognised by the camera. And the vicious circle repeats.

card.png.5cf554cac7a0bebc0071fc45b69c22dd.png

(note: the capacity is 128GB, not 258 as said in the original post, typo.)

Hmm, that's a bummer, but at least the card works somewhat.

Since you're using ExFat, have you tried formatting to OSX in camera? If that works, you might then be able to format again to ExFat from the now blank card. A stupid work around, and probably won't work, but I'd try if you haven't already.

I also read that if there's a bit of dirt on the contact points on the card, the camera might have issues, while other card readers won't... could you check that just to be doubly sure.

I think the best course of action would be getting a new card and keeping this one as a backup, always initiated on a PC and kept in your back pocket. 

If it's any help, I use these in our UMP4.6k (not Pro) and so far never had a problem. They're also the cheapest Cfast 2.0 cards I could find.

image.png.338e040e199061f4a6398cf90e468ebe.png