Are we just Spoiled with the Hacked GH2?

smon222

After using the hacked GH2's for a while, My 7d and 60d have been collecting dust.  So when the 5d III announcement came around I was excited to be able to use my L glass and batteries again.  Face it, at a paying gig, the GH2 makes me feel a tad bit self conscious because of its small size. When you have photographers
with their 5DII and big L lenses running around, and here I am with this tiny GH2 that shoots awesome video. Anyway I was really looking forward to the 5DIII and pre-ordered it. Now I am seriously considering canceling the order and just sticking with the GH2's a while longer. It just doesn't have the video quality I would expect, am I being to rash?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
The GH3 will likely come with AVCHD 2.0 and support 24p @ 28mpbs.  This will likely be better than the GH2 hack with the vanilla patch.  Other improvements will likely make the upgrade worthwhile and then just wait for the GH3 to be hacked.

• Administrators
[quote author=Germy1979 link=topic=379.msg2382#msg2382 date=1331322160]
I think the 4K Canon is the video DSLR that we're expecting.  The only thing is, will it be as much as a Scarlet?  The other thing is the GH3.  It will take a while, but once that thing is hacked, game over.  ???
[/quote]

My thoughts as well. Although the 5D Mark III is a nice evolutionary improvement in a lot of areas, the 4K EOS is the one Canon's loyal customers deserve. I have a feeling it may be out of their hands though, because it will be aimed at RED and priced accordingly. Unless that is, they stick with plans to output to an MJPEG codec which is kind of ridiculous.

I get the impression the EOS 4K is a strange product in many ways, because it supersedes the C300 in a stills camera body. If you look at Canon's profit margins on the C300, no sensible business would let that happen!

Yeah for real... It makes me wonder why they would even pursue such a product after the price point they slapped on the C300.  Anytime you place a camera in the same ballpark as a brand new automobile, people feel like they have to settle for less.  Nobody has $15,000 just, LAYING around.. Esspecially if the market is indie filmmakers.  Not this day in age...And to be honest, who the hell would rent a c300 if they can have a 4k redcode raw image from the Scarlet for the same price?... Maybe they just wanted to conglomerate the whole camcorder division into one badass camcorder to save money in the end.  And maybe the angle here is compression with the 4k dslr. They'll give us a 5d that boast a 4k image as a selling point.... Then squash the piss out of it in the compression stage, lol.  I hope not but, if its cheaper than a c300, you get what you pay for. 

For those of you who pre-ordered, are you still sitting on the fence?  I keep flip flopping, everyday people chime in and now someone comes out saying that it can resolve 1px lines with some post which is better than the 5DII. I'm not a technical guru and I don't really want to waste $3500 either. Whats your opinion now after all of this info?