Glidecam and anamorphic

Paulio

Anybody tried this? There are almost zero examples online aside from this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXgvmOkjqrM which looks pretty good to me.

I imagine the main limiting factor is you  need to use wide angle lenses with the glidecam to get stable, and of course anamorphics have limitations in that regard.

I was considering getting a glidecam and  mir10a 25mm and pairing it with my isco.

Thoughts? Warnings?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

[member='Phil']  I'm a member of the Homebuilt Stabilizers website which, unfortunately, is not very active anymore.  While a wide angle lens may help, the essential ingredient in a mechanical stabilizer is being able to balance the camera fore and aft and side to side.  It also is best to have a monitor and battery on the "sled" that can be moved.  Also, a gimbal that can move up and down the sled will help set a drop time.

Hand-held stabilizers are a bit different, but the basic principle applies.

I have the full badass glidecam package.  monitors, dual arms, vest, car mounts, etc...   Everything depends on what shot / aesthetic your trying to achieve.  For  5d3 I would use a 2x anamorphic with a 50mm, which = basically a 25mm.  unless your shooting a skate video or going for a fisheye look, which doesn't even quite make sense with anamorphic, that should cover you.  With an iscorama the 50mm will end up being close to a 33mm lens.

That video you posted is another perfect example of someone that has no idea how to balance their glidecam correctly, and it is the biggest contributing factor to getting good results with these systems..

PM me dude, be glad to let you test out the rig, and show you how to properly balance these things.  The pelican is currently sitting in my closet, I rather see someone get some use out of it.  

I'll try and post a video later if i have some time today..

Ryan, thanks for the info man, I'm shooting on m43rd so it's tighter than your 5d for sure. Sounds like you are glidecams best customer! I was thinking of getting one for narrative work to be able to do tracking shots, more dynamic stuff and even just to give a bit of breathe to some shots. I'm stuck on sticks or slider at the moment and the glidecam seems like the biggest bang for buck as far adding some shooting freedom.

Did you find it gave you much additional creative freedom? I assume your using the hd4000 to hold that gear, it's prob overkill for gh2 but I've heard the 4000 is much more stable than smaller models and that you're better off using it and just adding weight plates to the top.