DJI action cam vs z6

gethin

I just saw some footage from DJI's new action cam. HDR video! WTF? Sometimes I wonder why I dropped $5K on a camera setup when I could just shoot my real estate vids on an action cam, and most people wouldn't notice the difference. I just bought the 14-30 lens for my z6, and I'll buy the mozo aircross 2 to replace my ronin-s when it comes out, because 3.6kg of camera setup is killing me. But to think someone could just buy this and a wee gimbal, or the pocket osmo, and even begin to compete is head scratching. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

well whatever you do, you always try and make it as good as possible, but even a year ago you wouldn't have thought about shooting on an action cam. It reminds me of the printing industry 20 years ago. People were going bust all over the place because they were still paying off 100's of thousands of dollars worth of kit, and were being out-competed by startups using kit 1/10th of the cost, quicker and easier to use, and cheaper to run.  For $500 aud, I might have to get one, just to see. I could attach it to my current setup and would hardly feel the weight difference! 

25 minutes ago, gethin said:

well whatever you do, you always try and make it as good as possible, but even a year ago you wouldn't have thought about shooting on an action cam. It reminds me of the printing industry 20 years ago. People were going bust all over the place because they were still paying off 100's of thousands of dollars worth of kit, and were being out-competed by startups using kit 1/10th of the cost, quicker and easier to use, and cheaper to run.  For $500 aud, I might have to get one, just to see. I could attach it to my current setup and would hardly feel the weight difference! 

Or you get one, mount it to the front of your existing setup, set your 14-30 a bit narrower and assuming you can easily match the two in post, then you've got two angles to choose from.

4 hours ago, gethin said:

I posted this because of some footage I'd seen. Honestly it was nearly shit enough for a $500 camera. It had no right to be so good. It made me positively angry.  ?

Show me that, no sincere idea where you've found it...

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I’m going to pass on this version. Give me the same thing with a 1” sensor and I’m all over it. 

Can't stress enough how much better the Mavic 2 Pro is vs the old one, even though the whole 1" camera seem like rushed from DJI and has some unexpected flaws. The 10 bit 1" sensor is there.

Yep I hadn't thought about sensor size. What's the Mavic 2 like in low light? The Phantom 4 is pretty crap, but the action cam footage I saw shot indoors was not terrible.  

I have to say: I'm not saying it was great, but that it was great for a$500 action cam. HDR 4k vid ffs! 

On 5/15/2019 at 11:01 PM, gethin said:

I just saw some footage from DJI's new action cam. HDR video! WTF? Sometimes I wonder why I dropped $5K on a camera setup when I could just shoot my real estate vids on an action cam, and most people wouldn't notice the difference. I just bought the 14-30 lens for my z6, and I'll buy the mozo aircross 2 to replace my ronin-s when it comes out, because 3.6kg of camera setup is killing me. But to think someone could just buy this and a wee gimbal, or the pocket osmo, and even begin to compete is head scratching. 

Where is the Z6 vs footage?