Fuji GFX100 Coming May 23rd 2019

DBounce

With the pending announcement of the new Fuji GFX100 only a week and change away, it looks like we now have a detailed sensor spec sheet.

So what are your thoughts on this new model? Also, how do you think it will compare to the upcoming Hasselblad?

I’m considering one of these bodies... mainly for stills with some video.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I haven't followed what Hasselblad does as closely, is there a X2D/X1D 100c announcement around the corner?

Thinking about hardware, I don't see Hasselblad compete. I don't think they will manage to get their own IBIS (but maybe they will licence it from Sony or Nikon since they already went with Nikons lighting hotshoe) or get anywere close in focus performance. 
But I expect the Hasselblad to be as well built as the X1D, one of the nicest cameras besides a Leica M one can probably buy. 

If I had anything to say at Fujifilm, I'd put in an anamorphic mode into that beast. ?

2 hours ago, frontfocus said:

I haven't followed what Hasselblad does as closely, is there a X2D/X1D 100c announcement around the corner?

Thinking about hardware, I don't see Hasselblad compete. I don't think they will manage to get their own IBIS (but maybe they will licence it from Sony or Nikon since they already went with Nikons lighting hotshoe) or get anywere close in focus performance. 
But I expect the Hasselblad to be as well built as the X1D, one of the nicest cameras besides a Leica M one can probably buy. 

If I had anything to say at Fujifilm, I'd put in an anamorphic mode into that beast. ?

You do know that Hasselblad is owned by DJI?

5 hours ago, DBounce said:

You do know that Hasselblad is owned by DJI?

i know. But what technology does DJI bring into this relationship? They don't have IBIS, no experience with phase detection. They may contribute to save a few bucks with their processors or a few parts. 
But all in all I think Hasselblads main interest was to get a name they can print onto their drones and sell at a premium. I don't see much, they can add to the way Hasselblad work at the moment.
I may be wrong and we see a X1D II made in China soon? 

1 hour ago, frontfocus said:

i know. But what technology does DJI bring into this relationship? They don't have IBIS, no experience with phase detection. They may contribute to save a few bucks with their processors or a few parts. 
But all in all I think Hasselblads main interest was to get a name they can print onto their drones and sell at a premium. I don't see much, they can add to the way Hasselblad work at the moment.
I may be wrong and we see a X1D II made in China soon? 

I doubt you'll see it made in China, they are currently hand made in Sweden iirc.  But DJI does have extensive experience with stabilization, so who knows what we will see? It will be interesting in any case.  It will likely be going head to head against the Fuji.

36 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Most likely... plus lenses.

I have a lot of medium format lenses (if you don't need AF or extreme wideangle, it's a cheap alternative), but 10k is too much for me right now... Let's see the rolling shutter.

1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

I have a lot of medium format lenses (if you don't need AF or extreme wideangle, it's a cheap alternative), but 10k is too much for me right now... Let's see the rolling shutter.

For me it would have to really be special. If neither one blows me away, I’m not investing the $20k or so to enter into the system. I just do this stuff for fun.

Rolling shutter might be less than ideal... but maybe not as bad as we think.

Great for; commercial, architectural and landscape photographers.

OK for portrait/studio photographers but how many pixies do you actually need before it's too sharp?

Not for; social, wedding or street shooters. Unless they have massive storage facilities, deep pockets/no family and are slightly unhinged.

I'm hoping for an XH2 (XH1 with XT3 processor & sensor) and take 3 to replace my; XH1, XT3, X100F. Thanks.

Fantastic for it's market though.

While I will agree that the  GFX100 is an impressive camera when compared to full frame, comparison to the Hasselblad H6D-100c seem a bit silly... lets not forget that the Hasselblad has a much larger sensor. The GFX cameras are what I would term "mini medium format" or "full-frame XL". Consider the following:

Sensor size Hasselblad vs Fuji:

Hasselblad: 53.4 x 40.0 mm vs Fuji: 43.8 x 32.9 mm

Pixel Size:

Hasselblad H6D-100 - 4.6 μm  Fuji GFX100 - 3.75 µm

From what I have seen so far the footage looks good. It's no doubt a huge breakthrough for price and features, but it's no Hasselblad H6D-100. 

After reviewing more footage, this might be my new favorite footage out of any mirrorless camera. It's up there with the best of them to my eyes. Still watching samples... more to follow. 

I hope they enable 4:3 format video from the entire sensor. That would really fulfill the promise of having medium format for video. MF was always square (6x6) or squarish (645, 6x7). IMAX is 1.43:1. Not saying that wide format 65mm isn't amazing, but I want that vertical height as well.

8 minutes ago, BrooklynDan said:

I hope they enable 4:3 format video from the entire sensor. That would really fulfill the promise of having medium format for video. MF was always square (6x6) or squarish (645, 6x7). IMAX is 1.43:1. Not saying that wide format 65mm isn't amazing, but I want that vertical height as well.

The readout drive mode they use for 4K video actually derives 3884 x 2912 from the full width and height of the sensor, so it would be very easy to implement, it would also be perfect for 65mm anamorphic lenses.

59 minutes ago, DBounce said:

While I will agree that the  GFX100 is an impressive camera when compared to full frame, comparison to the Hasselblad H6D-100c seem a bit silly... lets not forget that the Hasselblad has a much larger sensor. The GFX cameras are what I would term "mini medium format" or "full-frame XL". Consider the following:

Sensor size Hasselblad vs Fuji:

Hasselblad: 53.4 x 40.0 mm vs Fuji: 43.8 x 32.9 mm

Pixel Size:

Hasselblad H6D-100 - 4.6 μm  Fuji GFX100 - 3.75 µm

From what I have seen so far the footage looks good. It's no doubt a huge breakthrough for price and features, but it's no Hasselblad H6D-100. 

After reviewing more footage, this might be my new favorite footage out of any mirrorless camera. It's up there with the best of them to my eyes. Still watching samples... more to follow. 

It looks like to me a XT-3 with greater DOF.  I don't see any early output that just takes my breath away on the video side. It is pretty impressive for MF no doubt. But is it worth 8500 Dollars more to get that?