Building a shoulder rig.

DanielVranic

Hey all.

Building out a shoulder rig for one of my X-T3's and I am in need of some input. My XT3 has the battery grip, so I am not sure if I want to just get the bigger cage or not, and that also do not really think I need the secondary battery.

Caleb Pike made those two videos on the perfect handheld and the perfect shoulder rig. I will link below. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions that I should be aware of?

I use Sigma 1.8 zooms, and they are not full manual glass. Will the Nucleus-N work?

Using the AndyCine monitor, could one power the motor off of that? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here's my shoulder rig. Sorry, I'm not a Vlogger : Only a bad video and some photos. It's not perfectly balanced but almost. Monitor Swit 55 and XT3 are powered by an Anker 26800. Its weight is on the back. No battery on the monitor(only 160g). Some DIY for the left hand. I can hold the handle and make focus with my fingers. It's not perfect, but with a little habit, it's pretty good.

IMG_6819.jpg

IMG_6820.jpg

IMG_6821.jpg

IMG_6822.jpg

5 hours ago, BrunoCH said:

Here's my shoulder rig. Sorry, I'm not a Vlogger : Only a bad video and some photos. It's not perfectly balanced but almost. Monitor Swit 55 and XT3 are powered by an Anker 26800. Its weight is on the back. No battery on the monitor(only 160g). Some DIY for the left hand. I can hold the handle and make focus with my fingers. It's not perfect, but with a little habit, it's pretty good.

Cool job on the left-hand DIY.  I have a much more basic approach in my rig where I'm partly holding the rig but still able to focus.

I saw that video from Caleb and maybe my way of shooting is different, but if I had to put down my camera and adjust 5 parts every time I want to shoot low or high, I'd kill myself. His setup works brilliantly for shooting eye level, but the moment you want to vary things up it's going to get in the way and god forbid you want to change the lens or quickly go to the tripod.  

Also these remote FF while looking and sounding great, they are another thing that need to be turned on and calibrate.

All in all I feel like you should build your rig for specific projects - some will require more movement and flexibility and some just requires you to stand still and get static shots. I'd say start small and build it out with time with only parts that you absolutely need.