MC Anamorphic Flare Conundrum

Bioskop.Inc

So i've got a couple of MC Anamorphics (Iscorama 54 & Widescreen 2000) & obviously they don't really produce flares - albeit under extreme/strange circumstances & even then nothing to write home about. This is fine, its why i bought them & so this isn't a complaint or a "damn i wished i'd never bought them" type post.

The other day i paired the 54 with a Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZE to take some lovely sterile pictures & the bloody thing wouldn't stop flaring! When i got home i paired the Zeiss with the Widescreen 2000 & the same thing.

So WTF is going on? As i thought that combining 2 MC lenses would never in a million years produce a flare, but they seem to have cancelled each other out.

So does anyone have any explanations/theories for why this is happening?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

how are the two mating optics in terms of condition?  the rear of the anamorphots, and the front of the zeiss.  even the slightest imperfections or residue on the two elements that face each other could contribute to some undesired interaction between the two. 

As Redstan recommends, try some Calotherm 'Caloclear' lens cleaner.

other than this, I can only assume that the curvature of your anamorphot rear elements happens to be interacting with the curvature of the front of your zeiss with standing reflections between the two. 

how are the two mating optics in terms of condition?  the rear of the anamorphots, and the front of the zeiss.  even the slightest imperfections or residue on the two elements that face each other could contribute to some undesired interaction between the two. 

As Redstan recommends, try some Calotherm 'Caloclear' lens cleaner.

other than this, I can only assume that the curvature of your anamorphot rear elements happens to be interacting with the curvature of the front of your zeiss with standing reflections between the two. 

Cheers Rich,

Well this would have been my first thought, but both Anamorphics & the Zeiss are in pristine condition, as new condition - no scratches, cleaning marks or dust. So this isn't the answer.

I am just a bit [pleasantly] bemused & was thinking about whether the colour/tint of the coatings has something to do with it - both the 54 & Widescreen 2000 have that redish tint, whilst the Zeiss T coating looks more green/blue.

If it is the curvature of the elements, it has really got me re-thinking my choice of taking lenses, but i'm in no position to invest in more Zeiss ZEs - maybe the Rollei zeiss lenses with HFT coatings might be worth a punt. 

Sorry deleted the pics as i needed the space on the sd card - doh!

And don't get excited, as they were more of a surprise than mind blowing.

Basically the 54's were a more pronounced Red, not distracting but you could clearly see the flare.

I tried the Widescreen 2000 when i got home against a light & it was turquiose - i'd never seen it flare before.

I'll try & make a video when i get back home tonight (if i haven't drunk too much!).

Cheers Rich,

Well this would have been my first thought, but both Anamorphics & the Zeiss are in pristine condition, as new condition - no scratches, cleaning marks or dust. So this isn't the answer.

I am just a bit [pleasantly] bemused & was thinking about whether the colour/tint of the coatings has something to do with it - both the 54 & Widescreen 2000 have that redish tint, whilst the Zeiss T coating looks more green/blue.

If it is the curvature of the elements, it has really got me re-thinking my choice of taking lenses, but i'm in no position to invest in more Zeiss ZEs - maybe the Rollei zeiss lenses with HFT coatings might be worth a punt. 

This is indeed a very likely that the differing coatings along with the curvatures could be contributing and interacting.

the rollei HFT coatings are pretty much the same as the T* coatings.  Rollei contributed to the development of the hft/t* coatings and then licenced the makeup naming it HFT.  You might benefit from looking at the Pre HFT / T* coated variants.  Though I know rollei didnt produce the 50mm f1.4 planar in the non HFT coating.  You'd need to select their f1.8 version without the hft coatings.  I have the full set of pre HFT rollei zeisses from 25mm up to 135mm which when I am next in Bristol you are welcome to try the 50mm out.  they can be had for £70 or less and are about as sharp as the contax 50mm f1.7.

This is indeed a very likely that the differing coatings along with the curvatures could be contributing and interacting.

the rollei HFT coatings are pretty much the same as the T* coatings.  Rollei contributed to the development of the hft/t* coatings and then licenced the makeup naming it HFT.  You might benefit from looking at the Pre HFT / T* coated variants.  Though I know rollei didnt produce the 50mm f1.4 planar in the non HFT coating.  You'd need to select their f1.8 version without the hft coatings.  I have the full set of pre HFT rollei zeisses from 25mm up to 135mm which when I am next in Bristol you are welcome to try the 50mm out.  they can be had for £70 or less and are about as sharp as the contax 50mm f1.7.

Thanks Rich that's a v.generous offer & would be good to meet another enthusiast in Bristol.

My feeling is that the T* coating is killing pretty much all internal/external (normal spherical) lens flare & this is some how allowing the flare generated by the anamorphic to become a little more prominent. However, its still piss poor & nothing like a flare produced by a non-MC'd anamorphic lens - i was just curious if anyone had an explanation, as it was unexpected.

NB. If you have a MC Anamorphic & are reading this, please don't think that an expensive T* Coated lens is any sort of solution, it isn't!

I bought my MC lenses so the flares wouldn't get in the way - just look at Star Trek they're in every F**king shot & it just gets distracting/annoying, IMHO.