the best compromise today?

Dan Wake

Moiré on the G6? No way. It's basically the same sensor as the GH2 (but improved on some points!). I'm pretty sure it must have been the GH3 you've been hearing people grumble about. It does show moire in some cases with very sharp lenses.

With a Panasonic G6 you don't need the VAF... just buy the body and you're done. I don't see the sense in a 600D + VAF.

I hope what you say about the G6 is true.  At the end of the day though I wish someone would do a side by side comparison of all these possibilities.  I like how dpreview does this on the photo side.  You don't have to take anyone's word for it.  Just pull up samples and compare for yourself.

I don't see the sense in a 600D + VAF.

Well if you want the photo features of the 600D and an APS-C sensor there really is no other way to get that.  If someone is starting off fresh, only wants to do video, and doesn't have any real desire to get an APS-C sensor then yeah sure.  Unforunately people like me come from a photo background so we aren't going to chuck our primes and L glass, give up our optical view finder, and make DoF sacrifices.  Every system is a compromise.  Everyone has to make the choices that work for them.  I just want more information.  I have zero complaints about the photo side of things.  The reviews have really matured and you can cross compare very easily.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It all depends what you are filming & what your requirements are as to whether moire is a problem & whether buying a VAF-TXi

is worth the money. Until the original VAF appeared we just had to live with moire on the 5D2 & you learn to avoid bricks, tiles & other patterns that will start shimmering. TBH unless you are shooting for TV or a feature then nobody really cares about  moire. Joe Public is used to seeing the newsreader's shirt shimmering on the TV & it's only video guys who obsess about moire.

Until the original VAF appeared we just had to live with moire on the 5D2 & you learn to avoid bricks, tiles & other patterns that will start shimmering.

Some of us are amateurs though and we don't really plan our shoots.

Joe Public is used to seeing the newsreader's shirt shimmering on the TV & it's only video guys who obsess about moire.

I would be interested on your take on lenses.  The VAF-TXi costs less than any of my Canon lenses and it improves image quality more than my $300 50mm 1.4 compared to the $100 50mm 1.8 alternative.

The asialing problem pops up with power lines and even the edges of buildings.  Basically if you don't use selective focus in an urban environment the aliasing monster can strike.  To be honest with you I find in the video world there are a lot of elephants in the room that people just want to sweep under the rug (if I may mix metaphors).  I just find not enough attention is given to the aliasing/moire issue with Canon Rebels and certain people gloss over the sensor size issue with 4/3 vs APS-C.  Aliasing/morie reduction and going wide (with a reasonably priced, fast, undistorted lens) are my two biggest unmet wants.  Full frame with a VAF is really the only solution but $$$ is an issue so I have to compromise.

Panasonic G6 is a good option I reckon, double framerates and no aliasing etc. I'm sure it's pretty good in low light.

I can speak for 600D Magic Lantern with VAF anti-alias filter and increased bit-rate. I sold the 550D to buy a 600D because of the improved Magic Lantern (Tragic Lantern 600D specific build) and flip out screen.

If you go down that route I have a whole post about the best settings to use here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6913.50

Here's the last thing I shot with 600D, Mosaic Engineering filter and Tragic Lantern so you can see what you think. Your post workflow is very important, as is shooting with said workflow in place and in mind.

http://www.virginmediashorts.co.uk/film/5002/messiah