X-T3 h.265 crushed blacks clipped highlights on macbook pro

kepache

Has anyone encountered this phenomenon with the fuji xt3 hevc files having crushed blacks and clipped highlights on macbook pro? I've tested it with 2017 and 2015 13" macbook pros. It happens in every single player, I've tried like 10, and also in all the editing programs. Tried resolve with video data levels set to full, overriding color space in final cut etcetc. I can't find anyone online talking about it for some weird reason. I have spent a massive amount of time on this issue, I'm starting to think it's mac hardware related but then again it's weird the hevc files from an iPhone look fine. Hevc files are flawless with correct luma values on windows... h264 looks good on both systems 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You might get more responses if you post your complete Mac system information (OS version, processor and video card, etc - pick one computer), and just choose one common video player as your single test case.

Also, be specific about your video file -- what resolution, what color profile, what bitrate? Are you doing any in-camera processing on the shadows or highlights? Maybe you could even post a snippet available to download.

I have an X-T3 and use Resolve Studio on various iMacs running Mojave. My h.265 files have never exhibited any strange behaviour, nor have I heard of this, but there's a first time for everything.

//A

19 minutes ago, andrew_dotdot said:

You might get more responses if you post your complete Mac system information (OS version, processor and video card, etc - pick one computer), and just choose one common video player as your single test case.

Also, be specific about your video file -- what resolution, what color profile, what bitrate? Are you doing any in-camera processing on the shadows or highlights? Maybe you could even post a snippet available to download.

I have an X-T3 and use Resolve Studio on various iMacs running Mojave. My h.265 files have never exhibited any strange behaviour, nor have I heard of this, but there's a first time for everything.

//A

right, sorry:

2017 macbook pro 13" base model 2,3ghz i5, intel iris 640 graphics, now running Mojave but the same thing happens on high sierra, files tested on various video players, same problem exists across all of them. my go to is quicktime and vlc of course. Happens across every possible setting and color profile, its the codec thats bringing up a problem. here are the files - https://we.tl/t-v7qkyPp7oO , same scene recorded in h265 and h264. h264 is as it should be, h265 is crushed. i'm enclosing a screengrab of what i'm seeing on my end. the h265 files look fine on a windows machine running quad core i5 and a gtx 770. i suspect it's got something to do with the macbook not having a dedicated graphics card. You mentioned you used imacs, those have graphics chips, im curious wether you see both files equally

h265.png

h264.png

Hi,

On my MacBook Pro (see specs below) I loaded these both just straight into a timeline in Resolve Studio 16 beta 2. I'm not sure how this will come through in pictures on the forum, but the two parades look basically identical. The picture also looked identical in the monitor. One can see that the first parade is the h.264 file, since it has the telltale banding from the 8-bit color. The second parade is from the h.265, which is 10-bit on the X-T3 and therefore has more color information and doesn't have the banding. The h.264's banding is especially visible if you zoom in on the dark parts of the blue, and the mid-tones of the green. But that's not the issue. It's normal.

I think it would be safe to start looking at how your Macs are configured, and not the camera. I wouldn't know where to begin with that, though a Mac forum might be as good a place as EOSHD, in this case. ?

h-264.thumb.png.f5e458ef75b8e44ff2d1e625b3ce0b11.pngh-265.thumb.png.ce2d4a16bec2725ea66972d9b3180075.pngthisMac.png.b1264eb38412960d464fb66a8950c7c7.png

what in the world...... okay, i knew it wasn't the camera but what the hell... thank you for you time regardless!

1 hour ago, andrew_dotdot said:

Hi,

On my MacBook Pro (see specs below) I loaded these both just straight into a timeline in Resolve Studio 16 beta 2. I'm not sure how this will come through in pictures on the forum, but the two parades look basically identical. The picture also looked identical in the monitor. One can see that the first parade is the h.264 file, since it has the telltale banding from the 8-bit color. The second parade is from the h.265, which is 10-bit on the X-T3 and therefore has more color information and doesn't have the banding. The h.264's banding is especially visible if you zoom in on the dark parts of the blue, and the mid-tones of the green. But that's not the issue. It's normal.

I think it would be safe to start looking at how your Macs are configured, and not the camera. I wouldn't know where to begin with that, though a Mac forum might be as good a place as EOSHD, in this case. ?

h-264.thumb.png.f5e458ef75b8e44ff2d1e625b3ce0b11.pngh-265.thumb.png.ce2d4a16bec2725ea66972d9b3180075.pngthisMac.png.b1264eb38412960d464fb66a8950c7c7.png

also, do you see a thumbnail for the h265 file? because i dont, it's just black

17 minutes ago, kepache said:

what in the world...... okay, i knew it wasn't the camera but what the hell... thank you for you time regardless!

also, do you see a thumbnail for the h265 file? because i dont, it's just black

Nope. No thumbnail for the h.265 -- just black for me, too.

This is a known issue on some Macs and happens to GoPro HEVC files too, the crushed black/clipped highlights are a result of incorrectly decoding full range YUV as limited range YUV-RGB. This seems to only affect Macs with hardware accelerated HEVC decoding - Gen 6 and 7 Intel CPU.

1 minute ago, androidlad said:

This is a known issue on some Macs and happens to GoPro HEVC files too, the crushed black/clipped highlights are a result of incorrectly decoding full range YUV as limited range YUV-RGB. This seems to only affect Macs with hardware accelerated HEVC decoding - Gen 6 and 7 Intel CPU.

so, no fix? mac hardware issue? 

7 minutes ago, androidlad said:

but this also happens on a 2015 macbook pro 13''. that one has 5th gen i5 

Y'all are probably well aware of this suggestion, but FWIW, I always lift my darker levels a bit with Fuji files in Premiere using "fast color corrector."  I'll push "output" blacks up 8 and bring down the highlights to 235.  From there I'll tweak some mids too, depending on what I'm trying to match.

FUJI colors are nice, but the levels from my X-Pro2 are quite different compared to what comes out of other cameras.  

None of this is probably germane to your problem, but if you can recover your details in h.265 to your preference and the issue is at least consistent, you'll have a rough work-around.

These sorts of hardware/maths issues are why, even though it's painfully slow, I typically like to render my important work using "software only."  That might be worth a test.  I know my PC does all sorts of frustrating things when I'm trying to export using hardware acceleration.  So much so I just can't trust it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

PROBLEM SOLVED IN OSX CATALINA

I had this problem with the 2018 Mac Mini and OSX Mojave.  Fuji's HEVC "full range" was being read as "legal range" which cut off the lower blacks and highest whites, even in Quicktime player as well as Final Cut Pro. Video scopes in Final Cut showed waveforms getting cut off at zero level which actually were going down to about -70 ... crushed blacks.

Just installed the new OSX Catalina and the problem is gone!  Video scopes show all black levels now being set at zero and above without clipping. X-T3 video looks beautiful.

I am back to editing the 4k 60p 10bit HEVC files from the X-T3 natively without needing to transcode to anything else. I get smooth playback with the viewing set to "better performance".

I am using a stock Mac Mini i5 and so far only 8GB memory has been no problem (running only Final Cut).

What a relief!