Tascam DR-10C - Stopped working

Thpriest

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure what you mean exactly!

*Edit. Now after my coffee I realise what you are talking about! I tried plugging in my headphones to the output but I heard nothing (I'm not sure if that should work or not).

• Super Members

Yes, the mic output (the one on the top of the unit rather than the headphone output) is used to pass the input out to a transmitter so you can have the best of both worlds of a wireless setup with the recorder being a backup.

I don't have a DR10 but I when I was looking at getting one this was one of the aspects that I liked and thought it would be useful to troubleshoot as the headphone output will be post the input and the processing whereas the mic output should be before the processing.

This comment from an owner under a Cinema5D piece about them should help eliminate whether it is the physical input that is broken or whether the problem is in the subsequent processing as it should be passing signal even without the power on.

1148874025_ScreenShot2019-05-12at12_11_45.thumb.jpg.beaab3f3d4768f9e9db7d80b663749a8.jpg

The mic output will not be sufficient to drive a pair of headphones so you will need to connect it to the mic input of your camera or laptop etc to hear it.

If you can hear sound when you do that (and even if you can't actually as you'll need to do something else ;) ) the manual provides instructions in how to remove the top plate to change the connector types and I think it would be well worth you checking the connector (noted as B in the instructions) as that looks a very obvious place for a problem to occur between the input/output ports and the main unit.

657859125_ScreenShot2019-05-12at12_20_34.thumb.jpg.fd1915593db899331e9facc90de00786.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In this day and age, anybody who is having serious issues with the Tascam DR10CS in 2022, I'd recommend they just ditch it in the bin, as we've got so many other affordable and great options. It isn't like back then years ago when the Tascam was the only option!

Well, either that or:
JuicedLink, bullied by Zaxcom to exit completely the industry. 
Zoom H1 zombie rig, horrible no-budget setup not suitable for the purpose. 
Zaxcom, which you have to pay through the nose for. 

Darn, you should do a regular education on sound, David @IronFilm. Lowbudget mics, recorders up to midrange price level highly appreciated. I remember you kinda approved the Zoom F8 if I recall it right. What Mics for booming which don´t cost a fortune like an Sennheiser and the likes. Always great to know for cam people who are also into one or the other corporate job as one man band.

21 hours ago, IronFilm said:

In this day and age, anybody who is having serious issues with the Tascam DR10CS in 2022, I'd recommend they just ditch it in the bin, as we've got so many other affordable and great options. It isn't like back then years ago when the Tascam was the only option!

As soon as mine started failing I stopped using it (although I tried to find out what was going wrong).

I just try to warn people who swear by them that they can have problems. Mine worked fine for 2 years and then just stopped working.

On 4/15/2022 at 12:35 AM, PannySVHS said:

Darn, you should do a regular education on sound, David @IronFilm. Lowbudget mics, recorders up to midrange price level highly appreciated. I remember you kinda approved the Zoom F8 if I recall it right. What Mics for booming which don´t cost a fortune like an Sennheiser and the likes. Always great to know for cam people who are also into one or the other corporate job as one man band.

I still do approve of the F8 (or any of the F8 series). 

The Zoom F8 was a major major major game changer for the no budget / indie / student / aspiring Production Sound Mixer. Bring incredible features/ergonomics/features/specs at a mere fraction of the price of what they used to be. 

Just like the Canon 5D mk2 / Nikon D90 / Panasonic GH1 was for any of the DoPs / videographers / cameramen like that back at the dawn of the HDSLR Era. 

Am just very very disappointed that Zoom has dropped the ball, and that the F8 => F8n => F8n Pro progression only gave us extremely small improvements. Not bigger sized leaps such as say happened with the 5Dmk2 => 5Dmk3 => 5Dmk4 

However, the competition is such that the Zoom F8n Pro is still the best that you can buy at that price point. 

Anyway, to cover recorders up to the "mid budget" price point, you have, once you go past the price point of Zoom's offerings: 

Very low budget:

1) Sound Devices MixPre1 (the Gen2 version), basically it doesn't beat a Zoom F8n Pro even though it is a lot more expensive. At best it is "equivalent" to an F8n, but "different". So people might prefer that, just like some people prefer the flavor of hokey pokey icecream over chocolate icecream.

Entry level professional: 

1) Sound Devices 833, part of their 8 Series and basically the "633 mk2" (the 633 for years was the standard staple for many professional sound mixers, thanks to its affordable price and compact size) however with the tonnes of capability the 833 has it could for many people be all they ever need! (unlike the 633, which is totally unsuitable for mixing drama productions, especially back at launch of the 633) The 833 is out performing the former "high end" products from Sound Sound Devices (788T/688).

2) Zaxcom Nova, a bit like the F8n vs MixPre10 discussion, I wouldn't say the Nova is "better" than the 833, just "different". However to fully get all the benefits of the Nova you really must also buy into the Zaxcom wireless system as well, so don't get a Nova if you're not going to do that. Plus Zaxcom is very much like the "RED of the audio world", rather controversial with a lot of cons lurking under the surface. So while they're a strong choice, and very innovative, don't go in without your eyes being wide open. 

3) Sonosax SX-R4+, while I think when the SX-R4+ was released it was probably "the best" in this niche, it was also the first of "the new generation" (i.e. Nova / Deva 24 / 8 Series / Cantar X3 / etc came afterwards), thus I think in 2022 it is much harder to make a strong case for the SX-R4+. 

Mid budget: 

1) Sound Devices 888: this is basically the 833 but with DANTE! And an extra fader. And a few more outputs. And 4 more tracks. 

2) Cantar Mini: if I could afford it, I'd get a Cantar Mini in a heart beat, no doubt about it. Many of the top pros in the drama world are switching over to Cantar as they've taken the leader in terms of capabilities / workflow / responsiveness to users / etc

High end budget:

1) Sound Devices Scorpio: same as the 833 / 888, but with MORE!! More outputs, more inputs, more faders, more tracks. But fundamentally the same software/features as any other 8 Series. 

2) Zaxcom Deva 24: it is a Zaxcom, enough said. (if you are not in the Zaxcom ecosystem, this probably isn't for you. If you are.... then this should be #1 at the top of your shopping list to consider)

3) Cantar X3: The King. 

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I too once used that as well! Was my first ever audio recorder the H1

I know there are better options out there that would do the same thing that I use it for, but during the pandemic and all the uncertainty it has brought, I really realized that instead of "upgrading" stuff I'd use it until the wheels fall off. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars over the years that, in hindsight, I didn't NEED to spend. If I hadn't I would've been in a much better position after nearly 2 years of canceled jobs, etc.

@newfoundmass, I feel similar, I spent less than normal in 2021 on audio gear. And in 2022 I'm going to try really hard to not do any major new expenses. Spend much much less than I did even in 2021.

For instance the brand new Lectrosonics DSR4 that just got announced would be perfect with the Sound Devices SL2 to pair with my Sound Devices 833 mixer!

https://www.lectrosonics.com/dsr-dsr5p.html 

Exceptionally tempted by it! But nope, won't touch it. Maybe get it in 2023 or 2024 instead.