SD Cards For Original Pocket Cinema Camera

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

This is following on from something in the thread for the Pocket4K for anyone looking to pick up an original Pocket or Micro or, like myself, dusting off an old one that might not be aware of an issue with available SD cards.

All of the SD cards that I put in it (and I tried a lot !) where coming up with No Card error and no amount of re-formatting internally or externally was resolving the issue and then I went and had a look at the official forum and saw this 

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050&sid=2c193679bb69a8d8f2c48ac0b85ced38

Basically, Sandisk made a change and the original cameras (and the Video Assist as well I understand) can no longer read them.

Sony made a firmware change to accommodate it for their cameras but BM haven't and likely won't.

The upshot is that it is a nightmare trying to find recently produced SD cards that will work with them and users have been trying and returning all sorts of different ones trying to find a solution.

After a lot of this effort, the card type that came up as being able to work is, ironically, a Sony one.

61HT3RkHIuL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.6520856cc6ebeea7c684429eca605415.jpg

It is  the UZ designation at the end that is important as there are a few similar looking ones.

This is the Amazon link to this exact one 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YOKOJOU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine arrived yesterday and I'm happy to confirm that it does indeed work perfectly well with my original Pocket camera so if you are looking at picking a camera up used or getting one out of the back of a drawer and don't have the original media for it then I'd recommend picking one of these up. 

Apologies for the cross post but the info would have got lost in the behemoth Pocket4K thread and at the time of my original post to @mercer in there about it I hadn't been able to confirm personally if this particular card worked.

And now I can ;) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Thanks for the info. I've had most of my SDs since the BMPCC release and they have started to fall apart recently (literally). I do have a 512GB that was included with my Micro, but definitely want more cards in case something happens.

SandDisks newer U3 cards that I use for the EOS-R and BMPCC4K have been a bit sketchy as well. Two physically broke within a week of normal usage. So I'm happy to switch brands after years of using SanDisk only.

• Super Members
6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

SandDisks newer U3 cards that I use for the EOS-R and BMPCC4K have been a bit sketchy as well. Two physically broke within a week of normal usage. 

I've had three where the case separates slightly and the guards between the contacts break off. 

2 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Thanks for this, will have to get myself a few now - who knows where we will be in a years time, might not be able to use cards in these old cameras?!

I'm going to buy a few just to be on the safe side in case BM don't produce a fix.

Surprising that they haven't thus far really as it impacts the Micro and the Video Assists which are still current products.

• Super Members
28 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I've had three where the case separates slightly and the guards between the contacts break off. 

Same here, the separators are super thin and snap. Bummer when Ive had so good experiences before.
On my older Class 10 thats been with me since the BMPCC days have had their lock-button fall off, making them permanently locked.
But given the years of ware and tare I am willing to accept that.

Will look for the Sony cards in Sweden. Im 95% sure I will be selling my BMPCC4K and invest further into my Micro.
So the cards will be needed.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Why are you getting rid of the BMPCC4K?

From his customary avatar signature, I'd tend to assume he has no interest nor need of 4K, I presume, if we can call 4K just like that, a need... ; ) Other than that would actually be a surprise instead  : -)

We need competent acquisition, resolution can end as mere show off, no doubts on it but its understatement no less.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Why are you getting rid of the BMPCC4K?

It's all about the mage. I've shot side by sides all weekend long and the Micro consistently comes out on top. Both in raw and in Prores. A shame since using the BMPCC4K is an absolute breeze. Love the handling. The window mode and slowmotion is also sweet.

(But I do really enjoy the SOOC image from the BMPCC4K when baking in the built-in LUT. But this camera is not meant for that type of shooting within my arsenal.)