DJI challenging GoPro?

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have been watching a lot of comparison videos with the GoPro, and I feel DJI can improve thed Dynamic Range in Cinelike, just a little bit more (they should make it more Log like). Everything else seems pretty amazing to be honest. Especially with the dual screen and this price point. 

9 hours ago, graphicnatured said:

By the time DJI updates the action, the Hero8 will be out. Competition is great for all of us.

Indeed it is!

23 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well it is finally out. I think maybe a few firmware updates on the Osmo Action and it might be the real bargain of the bunch.

TBH I'm a quite disappointed.  I found his review to be more from the perspective of a YouTuber rather than a cinematographer.  For someone who reviews things like Kinefinity, EVA-1, FS5, C200, Fuji MK cinema lenses, cine primes, etc (and quite well and thoroughly I have normally thought) he basically just tested the marketing claims of the GoPro and Osmo, and gave us a Codec and IQ 101 mini-class.  

He accepted the premise of the products (as action cameras) instead of ignoring the premise and testing how well they would perform from the point of a cinematographer.  What was missing was all the stuff that we argue about on here:

• No talk about ecosystems and how they do or don't fit with basically any other equipment (recording time limits, mounts, audio, use on tripods, etc)
  • No discussion of post-production except in the context of stabilisation or to examine the DR
  • Really not much acknowledgement that anyone would use these cameras as anything other than action cameras

Things we should have learned (that I already know) include that the X3000 has tripod mounts not GoPro ones, and has a 3.5mm audio in jack that doesn't require an extra converter, how good the low-light was on any camera other than the GoPro and Osmo, what the 3D flippy camera footage looks like (was it in there at all?), what they might be good for other than stabilising the footage you take with them, etc.  

Beyond knowing that productions with real budgets use GoPros and other prosumer/consumer cameras, I know very little about why they use them, how they use them, how they hide it, and what things I should be considering.  PB knows a lot more about shooting than I do, but he didn't bring anything new to the table on this one, unfortunately.

Speaking of things we didn't learn.....

On 5/19/2019 at 10:32 AM, webrunner5 said:

Yeah, but I would imagine the RXO II would slaughter the others overall on imagine quality, low light, DOF, on and on.

Imagine is the key word here, because it was notably absent.

In fact I would sum up his video as the antithesis of the title - I think it was just another action camera comparison, just like all the others that grabbed as many small form factor cameras as they could, made a thumbnail, introduced the video as a huge camera roundup, then mostly ignored the others and only compared the GoPro to the Osmo and forgot that Sony, Yi, SJcam, etc even exist.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

What the hell is that?! Kryptonite?? My bet from and very deep inner wishful thinking: raw on mobile side... ; -)

I suspect that RAW video is actually possible on smartphones (albeit with great heat management and processing power, and managing that level of data), but smartphones with RAW will replace larger cameras and Sony (and others), won't be able to sell their larger and more expensive sensors for professional work. I personally hope someone gets a 12:1 kind of BRAW or something on those lines, on a smartphone, but it seems unlikely, if not impossible. 

7 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I suspect that RAW video is actually possible on smartphones (albeit with great heat management and processing power, and managing that level of data), but smartphones with RAW will replace larger cameras and Sony (and others), won't be able to sell their larger and more expensive sensors for professional work. I personally hope someone gets a 12:1 kind of BRAW or something on those lines, on a smartphone, but it seems unlikely, if not impossible. 

It depends on the concept of mobile... We're waiting this, other than only towards the sky for so long now:

image.thumb.png.0b4b3a2975f341199e65bedec748d0ef.png

• 1 month later...