DJI challenging GoPro?

sanveer

16 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I hope it had better quality video than GoPro, at a better price point. 

The shape is very curious. I am assuming it doesn't have that terrible fish eye effect, and that's why the lens protrudes so much from the body. 

Screenshot_20190511-160639_Samsung Internet.jpg

Having a 4K linear mode would put it above the Hero 7 for sure.  That's an appealing possibility.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, kye said:

Having a 4K linear mode would put it above the Hero 7 for sure.  That's an appealing possibility.

That would be great. And some super HDR in Photo and Video wouldn't be too bad.

There seem to be a lot of smartphone sized sensors in the pipeline 1/3" to 1/1.2"(?), by Sony and Samsung, though they won't be officially announced until some of then are slated for release in smartphones. Many of thede new sensors will have much better low light, dynamic range and high speed modes (apart from High Res mode). All of these could be of great use in action cams. 

1/2.3′′ 12MP CMOS Image Sensor – Sony IMX377

Ambarella H2 image processor

FOV: 145° f2.8

Shutter: 1/8000-120s

Video specifications: 4K60p with 8x slow motion, HDR and automatic time-lapse photography

Shooting mode: single, AEB continuous shooting, countdown shooting, multiple continuous shooting, interval shooting

3 hours ago, androidlad said:

1/2.3′′ 12MP CMOS Image Sensor – Sony IMX377

Ambarella H2 image processor

FOV: 145° f2.8

Shutter: 1/8000-120s

Video specifications: 4K60p with 8x slow motion, HDR and automatic time-lapse photography

Shooting mode: single, AEB continuous shooting, countdown shooting, multiple continuous shooting, interval shooting

I am not sure why they are still using the IMX377. It does 1080p only upto 120fps. It does 300fps but at 720p. It's a sensor from the Nexus 6p days. 

They could have used the IMX477 instead. It does 1080p at upto 240fps and full res at 60p. It also has a few 9ther improvements over the IMX377 (improved low light?). 

With Sony, we spoiled for choice wrt Smartphone sized sensors. 

Basic info from the article:

Electronic image stabilization called “Rocksteady” mode (I hope its two tone only in that mode on release)

1080p up to 240fps

Filters screw on, AND must be tight because they are part of the waterproof seale this could be problematic if users don’t attach filters correctly, or use a damaged filter

Osmo Action is smaller than GoPro HERO7

D-Cinelike

Shoots 1080p/2.7K/4K

Here, I doubt there are any specs left to disclose. This will apparently be the same price as the GoPro Hero 7 Black $399, but:

1. Will have 2 screens instead of 1, and the larger one is 0.25 inches larger than the GoPro (which is 2 inches), and the smaller one is 1.4 inches, against the 1inch on the Osmo Pocket. Both the screens, IMHO, seem usable in terms of size. 

2. Smaller and more portable than the GoPro(?), though the GoPro weights a little less. 

3. Possibly wider dynamic range with the HDR options in the various video modes.

4. Waterproof upto 11 metres instead of 10.

5. More shooting frame rate options for photo. 

6. Time Lapse and Interval shooting in RAW (not sure if the GoPro has this). 

What they both have in common:

1. Voice commands. GoPro seems to have more. 

2. Super stabilized video. They would need to be compared with each other. 

3. Waterproof out if the body. 

https://photorumors.com/2019/05/14/the-dji-osmo-action-camera-will-be-priced-at-399/

So steady, this is truly the future of image stabilization. Forget IBIS, if this tech can be incorporated into cameras of this size, there is no reason it cannot be added to much larger dedicated cameras. Also, in the video he uses De-Warp. I've never heard of this before, but that should be automatically applied in any camera. Honestly, none of the footage really seemed to suffer from warping, so I'm not sure why he chose to use it on the one clip... perhaps just to show he could?

31 minutes ago, DBounce said:

So steady, this is truly the future of image stabilization. Forget IBIS, if this tech can be incorporated into cameras of this size, there is no reason it cannot be added to much larger dedicated cameras.

I'd think that a smaller sensor means less data means easier EIS.

18 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

Looks to me the image stabilization and front selfie are the best features. Image quality is not as good as hero 7 black though. 

To my eyes iq is better than the GoPro. That said, I'm not sure I would buy one. I already have the Osmo Pocket. 

9 minutes ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

I'd think that a smaller sensor means less data means easier EIS.

Sure, smaller sensor may mean less data, but that said and done it's still writing 100 Mb/s in 4k @60 fps and a larger body means more room for computing hardware.