DJI challenging GoPro?

sanveer

Guess the drone market is slowing down. Why on earth would they want to get into the action camera market, especially with these rumored specs?

Last GoPro I bought was a Hero 3 Black. Was never impressed with the footage. You seriously need to be jumping out of a airplane or doing a 360 degree backflip triple reverse spine bend on a rocket powered arm chair for the footage to look good. The hero 7 changed some of that. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, kye said:

That's all quite disappointing really.  

Apparently not..  I agree with many others here that if the hardware is similar to the GoPro and taking into account GoPro seeming to do pretty well on the software side, there doesn't seem to be much chance this offers much that GoPro doesn't.

Interesting to hear that you're happy with the images - I know things have changed a lot since my Hero 3 Black but looking at the footage from that thing is beyond disappointing.  I tried recording myself and a colour chart under controlled lighting high DR scene and cycling through all the main resolutions and combinations of Protune and different WB settings.  Then I took them into Resolve and tried colour matching the Protune files to the normal mode and I struggled to get results as nice as the normal mode, and also couldn't see any improved DR either.  Needless to say that none of that footage matched anything like the glorious ads they make.

RAW or high bitrate files would be something interesting, one of the cool features of the X3000 is the 100Mbps codec, which combined with the OIS and less clipped DR (see iPhonedo GoPro review videos) makes for significantly cleaner images, especially in low-light.  If the DJI action camera had RAW or a nice codec then I'd be quite torn between it and the X3000, but so far there's nothing interesting about it.

Does anyone know if the Ambarella H2 image processor is particularly powerful?  If it is then maybe there's advanced software stuff going on....  @androidlad ?

GoPro's last ad was created entirely by all of us, the consumers. Not a single clip was made in house.

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

It looks like it has a front facing Selfie screen on it. Well that might be a bigger deal overall. Maybe not to us but...

I think that screen will be for settings like the GoPro one is.  I could be wrong, but it's the wrong shape for a start.

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The most interesting takes of the subject are from Sony. The 1" one and the BOSS one.

I completely agree.  I'd happily sacrifice size (they could make it twice the size and I'd be fine with it) if it had a stabilised 1" sensor.  But, it's not xmas apparently...

1 hour ago, deezid said:

1 inch sensor

10 bit recording D-log

4k60p with stabilization

Non-fisheye lens

At least one of these things won't happen...

IIRC, currently every option is missing at least two of those, some more, so if it was only missing one that would be a step forwards.

42 minutes ago, kye said:

I think that screen will be for settings like the GoPro one is.  I could be wrong, but it's the wrong shape for a start.

Well the screen is wonky in the Osmo Pocket, so I think DJI is content to make a goofy screen size. But who knows. I guess we will soon find out. But that has been a bitch about the GoPro is you can't see what the heck you are shooting in selfie mode. I have no clue why the dumb butts that design cameras have not come out with a Selfie camera from hell. They couldn't make them fast enough if they did. There must be some stupid ass people at the top of some of these companys.

23 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well the screen is wonky in the Osmo Pocket, so I think DJI is content to make a goofy screen size. But who knows. I guess we will soon find out. But that has been a bitch about the GoPro is you can't see what the heck you are shooting in selfie mode. I have no clue why the dumb butts that design cameras have not come out with a Selfie camera from hell. They couldn't make them fast enough if they did. There must be some stupid ass people at the top of some of these companys.

Maybe it is the screen from the Osmo Pocket.  That would make complete sense, to repackage the existing components you're already using and have bug fixed and written software for.  That would be pretty cool.

Does anyone know if it has the same number of buttons as the Osmo Pocket?  If so, it might be a gimbal-less version of the same imaging pipeline.

2 hours ago, kye said:

Maybe it is the screen from the Osmo Pocket.  That would make complete sense, to repackage the existing components you're already using and have bug fixed and written software for.  That would be pretty cool.

Does anyone know if it has the same number of buttons as the Osmo Pocket?  If so, it might be a gimbal-less version of the same imaging pipeline.

I think you are spot on here....

D6MxkKLV4AEG6tw.jpg.e7fdbbadfd88b1c46b25f3e176a2be25.jpg

This photo was posted by OsitaLV on twitter (serial DJI leaker.)

He also referred to the OsmoSport as a repackaged Osmo Pocket with wider angle lens. This also looks very small to me. Looks like an interesting product (but, then again, I am something of a DJI fan boy!!)

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

Yup. Assuming it is the pocket screen - it is virtually half the size of a Hero Black.

That really is small.

I'd like it to actually go the other way, and put more features into something very compact, rather than same features as GoPro but in much smaller size.

I mean, who has looked at a GoPro without any accessories or mounts or microphones and said "jeez, that thing is just too big" ???

I hope it had better quality video than GoPro, at a better price point. 

The shape is very curious. I am assuming it doesn't have that terrible fish eye effect, and that's why the lens protrudes so much from the body. 

Screenshot_20190511-160639_Samsung Internet.jpg