Wireless storage access

Emanuel

Any other takers? Suggestions?

Here's one of the gadgets available out there:

Audio is absent a good part of the video so my apologies for the content posted but you can get an idea from the subtitles anyway. LOL : )

Here's another one (in French):

Both of them above are limited to 300Mbps Wifi so USB 3.0 speed access is pretty irrelevant and out of range over there.

This one even less for a half of speed:

Here's an interesting tip here:

Which might lead us to overcome USB 2.0 limits through faster Wifi going along Dual Band 2.4GHz 5GHz:

Or then following that secondary route:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I think the RavPower FileHub is a very good all round flexible solution for general use.

We used to have something made by Kingston years ago primarily for long journeys where we had a load of films and music on a USB stick and we could each watch or listen to different content on our tablets but as it had an ethernet port I also used it for work to create a private hotspot for wireless file transfer from my cameras to my laptop in stadiums that only had wired internet.

For media sharing on trips we now use a Sandisk Connect Wireless USB stick

1388106822_SanDiskConnectWirelessUSBStick-256GBWhite-1.thumb.jpg.6fb94cae38b08a1d7da6fb3b7c81ad34.jpg

Its a much more convenient form factor and powers/recharges from a USB port.

I have just ordered the 4TB version of the WD Wireless Pro ostensibly for use with LumaFusion as it is supported directly within the app so that you can be viewing the content on it (or connected devices via its USB port) within LumaFusion without having to copy it all to the iPad camera roll first so you can get on with editing faster.

It then imports the sections of the clips that you are actually using in the background and then can output the entire project back to the Connect Pro drive when you are done.

WD_My_Passport_Wireless_Pro-external-reader.thumb.jpg.4b4192d79c6dbc718f30e2ed6c798021.jpg

I am not expecting blindingly fast transfer across the wireless ( and I know that @Robert Collins is very underwhelmed with his ) but for my specific application of using it with LumaFusion, that tighter integration with the app should actually make it overall a little bit faster but certainly a provide more convenient and less clunky workflow.

Well, thats the theory anyway. 

I'll let you know the reality soon !

17 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think the RavPower FileHub is a very good all round flexible solution for general use.

We used to have something made by Kingston years ago primarily for long journeys where we had a load of films and music on a USB stick and we could each watch or listen to different content on our tablets but as it had an ethernet port I also used it for work to create a private hotspot for wireless file transfer from my cameras to my laptop in stadiums that only had wired internet.

For media sharing on trips we now use a Sandisk Connect Wireless USB stick

1388106822_SanDiskConnectWirelessUSBStick-256GBWhite-1.thumb.jpg.6fb94cae38b08a1d7da6fb3b7c81ad34.jpg

Its a much more convenient form factor and powers/recharges from a USB port.

I have just ordered the 4TB version of the WD Wireless Pro ostensibly for use with LumaFusion as it is supported directly within the app so that you can be viewing the content on it (or connected devices via its USB port) within LumaFusion without having to copy it all to the iPad camera roll first so you can get on with editing faster.

It then imports the sections of the clips that you are actually using in the background and then can output the entire project back to the Connect Pro drive when you are done.

WD_My_Passport_Wireless_Pro-external-reader.thumb.jpg.4b4192d79c6dbc718f30e2ed6c798021.jpg

I am not expecting blindingly fast transfer across the wireless ( and I know that @Robert Collins is very underwhelmed with his ) but for my specific application of using it with LumaFusion, that tighter integration with the app should actually make it overall a little bit faster but certainly a provide more convenient and less clunky workflow.

Do these WD drive do the card reader file transfers via USB 3?

• Super Members
3 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Do these WD drive do the card reader file transfers via USB 3?

The drive itself is USB3 when connected to your PC but the port for external card reader devices like the one shown there is USB2.

For my application using it in LumaFusion that bothers me less because the determining overall speed factor is the wireless transfer which is slower than USB2 anyway.

• 1 month later...

https://www.ravpower.com/p/ravpower-filehub-ac750-wireless-travel-router.html

My beef:

Supporting to reading USB hard drives up to 3TB...

Even though SD/SDHC/SDXC cards up to 256GB capability inside and one key backup speed up to 14~18 Mb/s to transfer to a portable hard drive is pretty sweet.

There's also that one above-mentioned:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/3g-usb-adapter/tl-wr902ac/

But, here's some other beef against, a couple of them actually (from manual):

If you use USB hubs, make sure no more than 2 devices are connected to the router.

If you use a USB hard drive, make sure its file system is FAT32 or NTFS.

I was evaluating in-between one of these:

https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dir-510l-wi-fi-ac750-portable-router-and-charger

https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dir-518l-wireless-ac-mobile-cloud-companion

When popped up this one in my research ready to 4K streaming, advertised as so:

https://www.dlink.com/en/products/covr-p2502-covr-hybrid-whole-home-powerline-wi-fi-system

https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/covr-p2502-hybrid-whole-home-powerline-wifi-system#Technical-Specifications

This second option is also pretty interesting -- with VPN I think I will take the latter and this one to complement it too:

https://macsources.com/slate-gl-ar750s-travel-router-review/

https://medium.com/@mccob/mini-review-of-gl-inet-slate-gl-ar750s-ext-8284e2bfac62

• Super Members
On 5/7/2019 at 12:50 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Just an update on this..

The reality was a whole lot different.

Incredibly slow auto import from from SD card, erratic behaviour in terms of it not always copying all files from the card and really slow wireless even on 5.8Ghz.

Nice blue LED on it though.

• 2 years later...

Just arrived finally to be an alternative to the RAVPower's Filehub?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lambogo-rugged-high-speed-wireless-ssd-storage/x/4309913#/

Well, 320MB/s against 12MB/s-18MB/s, roughly 20x faster seems too irresistible and a dream come true... a new age coming?

Imagine to backup your 128GB SD footage in... 7 minutes ; ) I wonder how consistent the speed be going with 8TB, figure it full of data loading there...

Interesting price range anyway. Affordable to say it in one word. Feel tempted to test it :- )

On 9/14/2021 at 3:04 AM, Emanuel said:

Just arrived finally to be an alternative to the RAVPower's Filehub?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lambogo-rugged-high-speed-wireless-ssd-storage/x/4309913#/

Well, 320MB/s against 12MB/s-18MB/s, roughly 20x faster seems too irresistible and a dream come true... a new age coming?

Imagine to backup your 128GB SD footage in... 7 minutes ; ) I wonder how consistent the speed be going with 8TB, figure it full of data loading there...

Interesting price range anyway. Affordable to say it in one word. Feel tempted to test it :- )

Let's see. I bought both the Gnarbox 1 and Gnarbox 2 and they are both gathering dust at the back of some cupboard (they werent cheap either.)

The specs on this kit look great but then that happens with Indiegogo projects.

Currently my 'backup' is a 2018 Ipad pro combined with a caldigit hub (and Crucial x8 portable SSD.) I am getting speeds of about 200MB/s for whatever I am doing which is good enough for me....

Obviously the ipad pro is an expensive addition but I use for a bunch of other stuff.