Shortest taking lens / MFT adapter combination (for anamorphic shooting)

QuickHitRecord

This question is ultimately for a lens to pair with my anamorphic lenses, but it applies to non-anamorphic shooters as well so I have posted it outside of the anamorphic forum.

Looking at adapters, it appears the shortest flange distances (and thus, adapters) are C-mount, Contax, M39, and Pen F in roughly that order.

My only criteria is that the lens would need to be at the very least 45mm (maximum 85mm), and with a non-rotating front -- you'll see that this eliminates most "pancake" lenses.

The M39 Industar 50 (50mm f/3.5) and Contax Zeiss Tessar 45mm f/2.8 look like good options, but I'd like to start a discussion and see if anyone knows of any other good options.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The Pentax 45mm F2.8 is the best at doing this. It is unbelievably thin on a Canon mount.

However it vignettes with almost all anamorphic lenses on full frame.

I recommend it on APS-C Canons. On mirrorless you may as well use a native lens as the adapter bulks the whole thing up

On mirrorless you may as well use a native lens as the adapter bulks the whole thing up

There aren't really any great options in the current Lumix line unfortunately. The closest would be the Lumix Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm lens, but it's quite expensive and really not that small.

Here's the Contax Zeiss Tessar 45mm f/2.8 on the GH1: http://www.flickr.com/photos/minami/2056992804/

Best option that I have found so far.

• Administrators

It does matter when you have a bigger lens hanging off the end of the prime. Short and stocky prime is the way to go.

The Zeiss looks good on mFT.

Pentax K 45mm F2.8 or 50mm F1.7 if you have Canon (you will need to mod the lenses to remove the aperture lever that hits the mirror). Nikon 50mm F1.8 E-series is also a good pancake for anamorphic.

Feel free to keep adding more...

• Administrators

Here's the Contax Zeiss Tessar 45mm f/2.8 on the GH1: http://www.flickr.com/photos/minami/2056992804/

Best option that I have found so far.

Ah hold on. In that picture the Contax Zeiss pancake is mounted on a 4/3 camera not a Micro 4/3 camera. The adapter for mFT will add a good 40mm or so to the size of the pancake. Not ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

the little jupiter 8 with a l39 adaptor is very short.  I've tried this on the iscorama and it was stumpy but worrying having as much weight hanging off such a small lens.

have a look at the voigtlander LM mount lenses.  They I was considering their 40mm f1.4 as a partner to my iscorama due to its short length