Sports videography

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, kye said:

Nice!

What are the additional features this gives that you're most excited about?

Mostly the 10bit 240fps and the built in variable ND filter also would like to see how well I can do with Cache recording vs continuous. It would be nice to not have to scrub through 5 hours of conformed 120fps anymore. 

9 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Mostly the 10bit 240fps and the built in variable ND filter also would like to see how well I can do with Cache recording vs continuous. It would be nice to not have to scrub through 5 hours of conformed 120fps anymore. 

Do you think you'll be shooting 10-bit 240fps as your default resolution then?

I'm still trying to decide if I'll shoot 1080p100, 1080p125 or 4k50 by default. I had kind of decided it would be 4K50 but now I'm trying to finish the rodeo video where I shot 4K50 and it's not slow enough to really get the slow-motion to feel like a special effect, instead you get that slightly-dreamy feel that doesn't quite stand out enough.

I can't even imagine 10-bit 240fps!

2 hours ago, kye said:

Do you think you'll be shooting 10-bit 240fps as your default resolution then?

I'm still trying to decide if I'll shoot 1080p100, 1080p125 or 4k50 by default. I had kind of decided it would be 4K50 but now I'm trying to finish the rodeo video where I shot 4K50 and it's not slow enough to really get the slow-motion to feel like a special effect, instead you get that slightly-dreamy feel that doesn't quite stand out enough.

I can't even imagine 10-bit 240fps!

I think 120fps will still be my go to but its fun to experiment. I only ever do 60fps in low light as I feel its not slow enough. Once you go 120 or higher its hard to go back. 

There's a high school lacrosse tournament going on today and tomorrow, I might roll up and test the FS5 to see how fares to my old A6300 and former Z90

8 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

I think 120fps will still be my go to but its fun to experiment. I only ever do 60fps in low light as I feel its not slow enough. Once you go 120 or higher its hard to go back. 

Yeah, but I'm losing a lot in the process.

4k25 is 10-bit 4:2:2 (or h265 and 4:2:0). Going to 50p I either lose colour (4k50 8-bit 4:2:0) or I lose resolution (1080p50 10-bit 4:2:2).. Anything faster than that is another step down (1080 8-bit 4:2:0).

And each of those steps also stays at similar bitrates, so the bitrate on the conformed footage gets worse and worse.

It's wall-to-wall first-world problems!

Maybe I'll just sell a kidney and buy a Venice...

Edit: or the other route is to do it in post, but that's no picnic either.  There's a feature shot I really want at 120 and as Resolves new Speed Warp feature frequently crashes my laptop (woefully underpowered video card) I am exporting it as 120 to a Prores 4444 file which I can then pull into the project and use easily. It's a 3 second clip and it's on track to take about 4 hours to export!

On 6/8/2019 at 10:07 PM, Mako Sports said:

Once you go 120 or higher its hard to go back. 

Shot yesterdays game in 125p (for 5x reduction to 25p) and you were absolutely bang on - I'm definitely not going back.

Now to learn how to edit this stuff nicely... ???

oh, and you weren't wrong about scrubbing through the conformed media - I only rolled when my son was doing something interesting.  I can't imagine if you shot the whole game!

What do you deliver to the client, eg, every game there's a 4 minute highlights reel, or every game you deliver 2x 30s hype videos for social media, or...?

2 hours ago, kye said:

Shot yesterdays game in 125p (for 5x reduction to 25p) and you were absolutely bang on - I'm definitely not going back.

Now to learn how to edit this stuff nicely... ???

oh, and you weren't wrong about scrubbing through the conformed media - I only rolled when my son was doing something interesting.  I can't imagine if you shot the whole game!

What do you deliver to the client, eg, every game there's a 4 minute highlights reel, or every game you deliver 2x 30s hype videos for social media, or...?

Depends but usually its a 2 to 4 minute mashup sometimes I'll do a 30 sec or 1 minute Instagram cut. 

18 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

My Sony Z90 review is finally live 

Cool review..  subd.

How's the FS5 setup treating you?  In the Z90 video you talk about being able to quickly go from telephoto to wide for huddles and things like that, I'm curious what lens you'd use for that flexibility, unless you have your second camera with a wide on it, using it the way pro stills shooters run two bodies where one has the 24-70 and the other the 70-200.  

1 minute ago, kye said:

Cool review..  subd.

How's the FS5 setup treating you?  In the Z90 video you talk about being able to quickly go from telephoto to wide for huddles and things like that, I'm curious what lens you'd use for that flexibility, unless you have your second camera with a wide on it, using it the way pro stills shooters run two bodies where one has the 24-70 and the other the 70-200.  

Thats the challenge lol, I have an A6300 as a backup. Luckily I don't have any planned sports docs so I don't need to worry about wide angle stuff. Shooting a product review view and FS5 sports test in the next couple of days so i'll link that when its done. 

So, after yesterdays adventures (including getting a point-blank shot of what looked like a kid punching my son in the head but turned out to look far worse than what it was) I have now realised the weakness in my setup is rain protection.

Any advice on a half-decent rain protection setup?  

I don't need to stand there filming in pouring rain, but something that could repel a light shower would be nice.  Setup is GH5, long zoom, and microphone by the side.  I've seen those things they put over ENG cameras in the wet and that's probably overkill, just like the price(!), but keen to hear how others approach this?

On 6/15/2019 at 10:08 AM, Mako Sports said:

Thats the challenge lol, I have an A6300 as a backup. Luckily I don't have any planned sports docs so I don't need to worry about wide angle stuff. Shooting a product review view and FS5 sports test in the next couple of days so i'll link that when its done. 

A backup camera can also be a second body, so if you had a 16-35 style FF wide on the A6300 and a cheap ~18-200 all-in-one zoom then you'd be set.  This would allow quick wides with the A6300, and tele with the FS5, but if anything broke then you'd have a spare for it with only one lens change..  If the A6300 dies, you can swap lenses and take a wide with the FS5, if the FS5 stops working you can swap the tele onto the A6300, and if either lens stops working then you have an all-in-one spare (that's good enough in a pinch).

10 hours ago, kye said:

A backup camera can also be a second body, so if you had a 16-35 style FF wide on the A6300 and a cheap ~18-200 all-in-one zoom then you'd be set.  This would allow quick wides with the A6300, and tele with the FS5, but if anything broke then you'd have a spare for it with only one lens change..  If the A6300 dies, you can swap lenses and take a wide with the FS5, if the FS5 stops working you can swap the tele onto the A6300, and if either lens stops working then you have an all-in-one spare (that's good enough in a pinch).

16mm is barely much wider than 18mm

• Super Members
11 hours ago, kye said:

So, after yesterdays adventures (including getting a point-blank shot of what looked like a kid punching my son in the head but turned out to look far worse than what it was) I have now realised the weakness in my setup is rain protection.

Any advice on a half-decent rain protection setup?  

I don't need to stand there filming in pouring rain, but something that could repel a light shower would be nice.  Setup is GH5, long zoom, and microphone by the side.  I've seen those things they put over ENG cameras in the wet and that's probably overkill, just like the price(!), but keen to hear how others approach this?

I used the ThinkTank Hydrophobia range which are great but have a price tag to match, although when you factor in the cost of the cameras and lens combos they were protecting they are a bargain ;) 

You can get generic versions that will do the job for you for a lot less money and this one has the advantage of having a two stage lens portion to accommodate different lens lengths

715Abh2IFOL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.4b1f97d924e620c028061e671e0bcd90.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2-Stage-Camera-Protector-Foldable-Cameras/dp/B01HRGPDKQ

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

16mm is barely much wider than 18mm

Ah, crap.  My original logic was that @Mako Sports listed his setup as the Z90 with fixed 29-300mm equiv lens and the A6300 with a 70-300mm tele, so the 16-35 was to be able to get a ~28mm shot on the A6300 and also give a wide with FF coverage, but this was important because I was thinking the FS5 was FF and it's not..  ha ha.  All this talk of FF cameras and it's got me all confused!

In that case a fast lens that can cover 18mm would do the trick nicely!

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I used the ThinkTank Hydrophobia range which are great but have a price tag to match, although when you factor in the cost of the cameras and lens combos they were protecting they are a bargain ;) 

You can get generic versions that will do the job for you for a lot less money and this one has the advantage of having a two stage lens portion to accommodate different lens lengths

715Abh2IFOL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.4b1f97d924e620c028061e671e0bcd90.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2-Stage-Camera-Protector-Foldable-Cameras/dp/B01HRGPDKQ

Thank you sir..  that looks to be exactly what the doctor ordered!  It doesn't ship to me but the idea is sound and I'm sure I can locate someone that will take my money :)

• Super Members
39 minutes ago, kye said:

Thank you sir..  that looks to be exactly what the doctor ordered!  It doesn't ship to me but the idea is sound and I'm sure I can locate someone that will take my money :)

Yeah, if you put "camera rain cover" into aliexpress you'll find the same ones that ship to Australia.

Half the price as well.

You really need a Sony A7s to be doing that stuff at night lol. Everybody ought to have at least the original one in their kit. They are in the 700 dollar range now. Hell of a lot cheaper than a 0.95 lens and a speedbooster to get worse results, and have too shallow of DoF to boot for that kind of shooting situation..

On 6/17/2019 at 11:07 PM, webrunner5 said:

You really need a Sony A7s to be doing that stuff at night lol. Everybody ought to have at least the original one in their kit. They are in the 700 dollar range now. Hell of a lot cheaper than a 0.95 lens and a speedbooster to get worse results, and have too shallow of DoF to boot for that kind of shooting situation..

Yeah, sports at night is a tough gig technically, and I realised when I got there that I should have brought a lens in-between the 17.5mm and the 135mm.  Ideally it would have been the 85mm F2 lens that I have thought about buying but can't justify, lol.   Even the Helios 58mm F2 would have been useful as the longest lens I have less than the 135mm.

[Edit: anyway, it's all a learning experience..]