Speed King - SLR Magic 35mm T0.95 Review and 5 Axis Stabilisation samples

Andrew Reid

It's pretty impressive for handheld footage without a rig, but "Move over MoVI" (or similar gimbal stabilisers) is a bit of a stretch. I'm not so sure I like the movements this type of in-camera stabilisation produces, there is something odd looking about it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew, thank you for posting this and I also enjoyed the tram movie too.

I bought the OMD EM-5 primarily for stills although I've started messing around with shooting video (mostly of my 3 year old and family events).  I only shoot handheld, and can really appreciate what the IBIS can do.  

I love the camera for photography and sometimes the video output comes out looking fantastic however both the 1080p and 720p H.264 crumbles into a blocky mess when there is a lot of movement (for instance leaves on trees moving in the background).  I've also tried using the 720p MJPEG settings and while it doesn't get blocky, the output looks more fuzzy or grainy (for lack of a better word).  

There are a few other things missing from the camera when in video mode: focus peaking, true 24p/60p, touch screen focusing (works with stills).  The live histogram is quite handy, though, and the EVF isn't bad for manual focus while giving you a third point of stabilisation.  Hopefully Olympus gets a couple of video engineers in return after trading their IBIS technology with Sony.

Would you mind sharing some of your OMD EM-5 camera settings and any other experiences that could help with getting better video output? What picture setting do you use and do you turn down sharpness, saturation, contrast and then colour grade in post?

I love the OM-D IBIS system - in fact, I will buy a new camera for photos in December and probably will choose between OM-D, the new GX7 or (if released before December) the new OM-D.

If the OM-D had a decent video mode (at least in the G6 league), I would buy instantly. Let's see how the new OM-D comes, but I have no high hopes - Olympus and Fuji really don't care about video.

And if Olympus really license their 5-axis system to Sony, they are writing their own sentence of death.

Oh dear. Just noticed that it only has 30p. I could care less about 24p but 25p is important for us here in PAL-land i.e. the whole world bar the US & a few other countries. Not impossible I suppose as we were shooting 30p with the original 5D2 firmware but it was a pain to re-time it & in those early days of DSLR video we were converting it all to Pro Res anyway as we couldn't edit native files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...