First DSLR Camera noob.

Henry Gentles

Hi all, I'm a poor student in my final year of Dip Screen and Media and contemplating my first Camera for making Films. I have a Budget of about $600 for a Camera and Lens and would appreciate any advice. There seems to be alot of good deals available here for example under $700 aud? 

http://www.kogan.com/au/shop/cameras/dslr/?order_by=price

It's so confusing and I just don't have any experience to know which is a good deal and worth holding onto for a while, something that will remain useful in the future?

Nikon 3200 w/lens or 5100 w/lens, or

Canon 600D w/lens, or 60D or 100D etc etc.

Or should I go Lumix GH2, I can get one with lens for aound $600 also?

Or perhaps you have a better suggestion? I definitely want a Camera w/Lens option so I can start shooting asap.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well I hope to shoot doco's to start with, I have a friend who is working on doco's all the time so I have contacts. But at the same time shoot my own short films, I'm at film school so there are lots of contacts to do projects. atm I really like the Nikon 5200 at $669 with a 18 -55 lens it looks the best quality imo but not sure??. If I had a preference it would always be image quality over features.

• Administrators

What type of films do you want to make?

A tip for anyone asking questions on the forum...

There's no one answer that suits everyone, it depends on your needs... So state your needs otherwise people will either not know how to answer or give you the wrong recommendation.

Cameras are all a compromise at the moment. 5D Mark III raw for example might be great for a tech savvy music video shooter but not so good for a multi-cam event shooter, so always state your needs :)

Erm, I'm not gonna get a 5D Mk3 for around $600 am I? My budget is only $600 odd.

If you wanted to fiddle with raw you could go for a 50D, but I don't think that would be the easiest route. The gh2 is classic, and there is no doubt that it can produce an amazing image.  You might want to save a little longer and go for the g6. 

Actually I just saw this here:  http://www.eoshd.com/content/9713/nikon-d5200-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii

Wouldn't the Nikon 5200 be better than a 50D or GH2? And if I got an expensive cinematic lens down the track, wouldn't the 24mp sensor give me a superior image? The Nikon is $650 atm w/lens. Does it have a greater potential or am I missing something??

• Administrators

Erm, I'm not gonna get a 5D Mk3 for around $600 am I? My budget is only $600 odd.

I'm not suggesting you get one. Was using it as an example of stating your needs.

Do you actually know your needs?

Low light important? Size / weight? Lens choice? Auto-focus? Stabilisation? You've got to give us a clearer idea of what you want and what features are attractive to you.

I'd recommend GH2, but you might say low light is important, and therefore the recommendation would change to D5200. You see what I mean?

Well I'm a manual slr type background, size/weight not an issue, image quality over features any day. I hope to get a couple of high quality lenses in the future and I intend to shoot doco's, films, music videos. I've actually never used auto focus ever so its not an issue to me and we use Pana P2's here at Tafe, always in manual. I'm just a poor student who wants to get best quality for cheapest price that I won't have to ditch down the track when I earn some money that I can build on? there are so many options its very confusing!!