Low cost monitors for editing HDR video?

MacMurphy

I am new to HDR video an find the choices limited and expensive and apparently many screens which advertise being HDR aren't, or aren't very good. I want to edit HLG footage from the XT3 to be shown on all modern TV screens. Do you have any advice for a reasonably priced option? Resolution and screen size aren't important to me. Prices from the likes of Dell can be so high that I wonder whether it would be OK to just buy a decent TV to use? Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Pros will tell you that there are no cheap options for professional grade HDR editing. The cheapest pro option likely being EIZO CG3145 for ca. 20-30k$ USD?

However, some HDR TVs are used on a budget and you can use LUT for calibration.... LG C8 series OLED 4K or Samsung QLED 4/8K (although not sure about using LUT in these) seem to be good. Read through the topics on different forums:

For example: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?173930-State-of-the-GRADING-monitor-2019

https://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?threads/lg-c8-experience.12401/

On 5/2/2019 at 6:46 PM, kye said:

Could you use a HDR TV?  You'd have to calibrate it obviously, but if the push is for HLG acquisition and distribution, the TV price wars should be working in your favour?

I found this chart (originally posted in 2016, but which has apparently been updated with newer 2018-19 HDR TV models) with tests comparing DCI-P3 and Rec. 2020 capabilities of various TV displays available in the U.S. market (sorry, that means no Panasonic HDR TVs listed)...

Wide Color Gamut Coverage of TVs: Rec.709, DCI-P3, Rec.2020 - RTINGS.com:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/wide-color-gamut-rec-709-dci-p3-rec-2020

...so it's looking like that if one's target is to correct for Rec.2020 then the TV-as-editing-monitor market is not-quite-there, yet.

Which then raise the question in my (new-to-HDR) mind, is there any sense to just correcting to DCI-P3 for now (if one's NLE allows), since that's all anyone's target audience can maximally enjoy here in early-2019?

5 minutes ago, Jimmy G said:

I found this chart (originally posted in 2016, but which has apparently been updated with newer 2018-19 HDR TV models) with tests comparing DCI-P3 and Rec. 2020 capabilities of various TV displays available in the U.S. market (sorry, that means no Panasonic HDR TVs listed)...

Wide Color Gamut Coverage of TVs: Rec.709, DCI-P3, Rec.2020 - RTINGS.com:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/wide-color-gamut-rec-709-dci-p3-rec-2020

...so it's looking like that if one's target is to correct for Rec.2020 then the TV-as-editing-monitor market is not-quite-there, yet.

Which then raise the question in my (new-to-HDR) mind, is there any sense to just correcting to DCI-P3 for now (if one's NLE allows), since that's all anyone's target audience can enjoy here in early-2019?

BT.2020 for now (and for the near future) is only used as a container, the actual encoded gamut for HDR is P3 D65.

55 minutes ago, androidlad said:

BT.2020 for now (and for the near future) is only used as a container, the actual encoded gamut for HDR is P3 D65.

Well, if the following information from Sound&Vision is correct...

<<

Virtually all films are currently mastered for video on monitors having P3 color primaries. Those primaries are converted to Rec.2020 based coordinates, but the color values are identical, leaving the consumer with Rec.2020 color that only extends as far as the P3 color gamut within it.

>>

...from...

Colors in Space | Sound & Vision:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/colors-space

...then it sounds like one could actually use a DCI-P3-capable HDR TV as a monitor to grade their HDR content for DCI-P3 delivery? ...or am I missing something both obvious and important here?

:)

-HDR-noob

1 hour ago, Jimmy G said:

Well, if the following information from Sound&Vision is correct...

<<

Virtually all films are currently mastered for video on monitors having P3 color primaries. Those primaries are converted to Rec.2020 based coordinates, but the color values are identical, leaving the consumer with Rec.2020 color that only extends as far as the P3 color gamut within it.

>>

...from...

Colors in Space | Sound & Vision:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/colors-space

...then it sounds like one could actually use a DCI-P3-capable HDR TV as a monitor to grade their HDR content for DCI-P3 delivery? ...or am I missing something both obvious and important here?

:)

-HDR-noob

You could, totally, for non-professional use.

HDR is more than just a wide gamut. There's peak luminance, intraframe contrast, tone-mapping etc.

On 5/3/2019 at 8:52 PM, androidlad said:

Dell UP2718Q is a proper HDR monitor with FALD, about $1500.

The new Atomos Shogun 7 also uses FALD and costs $1500.

I am a bit confused about these Dell monitors.   I have a Dell UP3216Q - is it the same line as the one you reference?

With mine I can calibrate it fine with sRGB but haven't been able to get it to calibrate with any wider colour space.  I'm using a Datacolour Spyder 4 Pro and a MBP and it just won't finish the calibration, so I abandoned using it as a HDR display.  I did a bunch of googling and apart from buying another calibration device I couldn't find any useful information on it.

Models of monitors and calibration devices cycle so fast that no real amount of knowledge is actually available online about anything besides the manufacturers claims.  It might be a mis-match, it might be a scam, we'd never know because the tech moves on too fast.

4 hours ago, kye said:

I am a bit confused about these Dell monitors.   I have a Dell UP3216Q - is it the same line as the one you reference?

With mine I can calibrate it fine with sRGB but haven't been able to get it to calibrate with any wider colour space.  I'm using a Datacolour Spyder 4 Pro and a MBP and it just won't finish the calibration, so I abandoned using it as a HDR display.  I did a bunch of googling and apart from buying another calibration device I couldn't find any useful information on it.

Models of monitors and calibration devices cycle so fast that no real amount of knowledge is actually available online about anything besides the manufacturers claims.  It might be a mis-match, it might be a scam, we'd never know because the tech moves on too fast.

UP3216Q is not an HDR monitor.

To access its built-in hardware calibration 14bit 1D LUT + 3x3 matrix (slot CAL1/2), you need Xrite i1 Display Pro and Dell's Calibration Solution software.

On 5/5/2019 at 7:01 AM, androidlad said:

UP3216Q is not an HDR monitor.

To access its built-in hardware calibration 14bit 1D LUT + 3x3 matrix (slot CAL1/2), you need Xrite i1 Display Pro and Dell's Calibration Solution software.

Hey androidlad, for under $1K, which TV would you recommend to use for grading?, not professional of course, but something that can be close enough....if that option exist of course, more than one option will be great...

44 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Hey androidlad, for under $1K, which TV would you recommend to use for grading?, not professional of course, but something that can be close enough....if that option exist of course, more than one option will be great...

Why would you grade on a TV? There are some good quality 24-27in monitors in the sub-1K range that are great for SDR grading as long as you calibrate properly.

You can edit on HDR on any monitor but you can't see HDR except through external monitoring. HDR can (at the moment) only be played back through a blackmagic (or similar) card and HDMI output to an external monitor.

I have the Acer X27 (great monitor with FALD and HDR1000) but there is no way to see HDR through Premiere or Resolve unless played back through an external box. Yay?