LumaFusion users - can you help with a few questions?

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Would you like a bluetooth jog/shuttle controller for it........

Only if it will also control the focus of Panasonic cameras or some kind of electronic ND filters.

(but must be released within 12 month, before the next generation of iPads renders it obsolete)

• Super Members
44 minutes ago, anti12 said:

Only if it will also control the focus of Panasonic cameras or some kind of electronic ND filters.

(but must be released within 12 month, before the next generation of iPads renders it obsolete)

It can actually control the Panasonic.

And the Pocket 4K.

Unless Apple drop bluetooth support from the next generation of iPads then it is pretty safe from being obsolete for a while.

Which keyboard shortcuts are you using in LumaFusion ?

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, anti12 said:

I only recently connected my keyboard in hope it will somehow enable audio scrubbing. (It doesn’t)

I can see myself using the J, K, L, I, O,  arrow and space keys a lot.

Thanks for the feedback.

Here is a sneak peek at what I've just finished developing.

It is an interface that you plug the Contour Shuttle devices into which then enables you to use them via Bluetooth LE in LumaFusion to control it.

I only use Lumafusion for quick basic edits (usually of drone footage.) I dont have a separate keyboard and so dont use keyboard shortcuts - sticking to the touch screen.

I have a contour shuttle (and palette gear) which I use and like but it is for my desktop workflow.

I would guess that a lot of people would find this useful though.

So far only touch, no keyboard, as I'm usually editing on the go - like in moving cars, on planes, in a restaurant, or any other place I happen to be stationary while on assignment. This does look interesting, but the iPad Pro and Lumafusion has helped me shrink the size/weight of my kit as I no longer carry a laptop. I even went with the 11" pro over the 12.9 because its more portable. For me adding something else to carry is no bueno. But that's just me.

As always, amazing work. I hope you sell a ton of them. Put it out to Henny Tha Business and The Art of Photography YT channels, they do a lot of Lumafusion videos and Henny was at NAB demoing v2.0.

Cheers

Chris

• Super Members
7 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I only use Lumafusion for quick basic edits (usually of drone footage.) I dont have a separate keyboard and so dont use keyboard shortcuts - sticking to the touch screen.

I have a contour shuttle (and palette gear) which I use and like but it is for my desktop workflow.

I would guess that a lot of people would find this useful though.

18 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

So far only touch, no keyboard, as I'm usually editing on the go - like in moving cars, on planes, in a restaurant, or any other place I happen to be stationary while on assignment. This does look interesting, but the iPad Pro and Lumafusion has helped me shrink the size/weight of my kit as I no longer carry a laptop. I even went with the 11" pro over the 12.9 because its more portable. For me adding something else to carry is no bueno. But that's just me.

As always, amazing work. I hope you sell a ton of them. Put it out to Henny Tha Business and The Art of Photography YT channels, they do a lot of Lumafusion videos and Henny was at NAB demoing v2.0.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks both.

There is certainly an aspect of it seeming counter intuitive to have hardware control of a touch designed product !

What I'm seeing is more and more people, like myself for the most part actually, using LumaFusion as not just their favoured editor for on the road but also when they're not so this is very much a nod at that. I think with version 2.0, this will actually increase too with people using it as their main editor for a lot of work and with xml export even using it as a starting point for cuts editing for bigger projects. I'm also seeing LumaFusion appearing more frequently in press rooms at events I'm covering with most people, like myself, using keyboards so I suppose thats a hybrid portable studio use case.

Having said that, the shuttle controller is actually reasonably small and all bias aside I find it a very intuitive combo combined with the touch control.

I actually used it to edit the little video above so I can confirm it does last a project without crashing or deleting your files ;)

22 hours ago, anti12 said:

Looks promising. This could be super fun with audio scrubbing. ?

(I wonder how everyone else manages to edit without it... by staring at the waveforms???)

That is how we do it. Nine times out of ten I can make an undetectable edit+Crossfade without listening to it.

Far more accurate and quicker then scrubbing.

Image is another thing, only 24 frames per second. 24 notes per second is not that extreme...

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Thanks both.

There is certainly an aspect of it seeming counter intuitive to have hardware control of a touch designed product !

What I'm seeing is more and more people, like myself for the most part actually, using LumaFusion as not just their favoured editor for on the road but also when they're not so this is very much a nod at that. I think with version 2.0, this will actually increase too with people using it as their main editor for a lot of work and with xml export even using it as a starting point for cuts editing for bigger projects. I'm also seeing LumaFusion appearing more frequently in press rooms at events I'm covering with most people, like myself, using keyboards so I suppose thats a hybrid portable studio use case.

Having said that, the shuttle controller is actually reasonably small and all bias aside I find it a very intuitive combo combined with the touch control.

I actually used it to edit the little video above so I can confirm it does last a project without crashing or deleting your files ;)

Do you think it can speed up the workflow? I'm certainly willing to try anything that can make my life easier. I guess being bludgeoned by Steve Jobs for so long about a touch interface and Apple's previous resistance to things like external keyboards has impaired my thinking.

I will say though, Lumafusion (and the LR CC app) does most of what I do on desktop, that along with the latest iOS hardware has made editing on the road a lot faster and more portable. It does feel like my desktop's days are numbered.

Chris

• Super Members
15 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Do you think it can speed up the workflow? I'm certainly willing to try anything that can make my life easier. I guess being bludgeoned by Steve Jobs for so long about a touch interface and Apple's previous resistance to things like external keyboards has impaired my thinking.

I will say though, Lumafusion (and the LR CC app) does most of what I do on desktop, that along with the latest iOS hardware has made editing on the road a lot faster and more portable. It does feel like my desktop's days are numbered.

Chris

I suppose it depends on the individual.

For me personally, having the controller under the right hand for transport control, clip marking and inserting is far more natural than dragging on a screen.

The frame advance with the jog wheel and the jump to next/previous clips are a big win as are the shuttle and play/pause controls because nything that stops me accidentally touching the wrong part of the screen and dragging a clip instead of moving round the timeline counts as a big win! 

You can see from the reaction to the new BM keyboard (if you ignore the price ;) ) combined with the new Clip page that a combination of tactile surface and simplified interface can be a productivity win and I kind of see this with LumaFusion as being in the same vein.

As an FYI, here is the actual prototype unit with its default key map, although this will be user definable in the production version.

I have finally run out of the electric blue filament for my 3D printer so I was able to print this one in black! 

JSC-1_KEY_LAYOUT_UPDATED.thumb.jpg.2499cbc262faec8b7a5f94394a9f2bb2.jpg

How does Lumafusion run on a 2018 Ipad 6th Gen (non pro)?

Can´t edit on my work pc, and it´s a pitty carry my big laptop everyday on a tiny foldable e-bike!

Does it worth 21 euros? i´ve  never spent so much in an app

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Grimor said:

How does Lumafusion run on a 2018 Ipad 6th Gen (non pro)?

Can´t edit on my work pc, and it´s a pitty carry my big laptop everyday on a tiny foldable e-bike!

Does it worth 21 euros? i´ve  never spent so much in an app

It can actually run on an iphone so I suspect it will be OK.

There is a decent user forum on the LumaTouch website that might yield the answer for you regarding your particular ipad. 

It is definitely worth the price as far as I'm concerned.

Something to bear in mind is that V2.0 will be a free upgrade but the price of the app is going to rise quite a bit because of all the new functionality so if it does what you need I'd get it sooner rather than later.

I'm also making something else new for it as well...

On 5/3/2019 at 4:16 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I suppose it depends on the individual.

For me personally, having the controller under the right hand for transport control, clip marking and inserting is far more natural than dragging on a screen.

The frame advance with the jog wheel and the jump to next/previous clips are a big win as are the shuttle and play/pause controls because nything that stops me accidentally touching the wrong part of the screen and dragging a clip instead of moving round the timeline counts as a big win! 

You can see from the reaction to the new BM keyboard (if you ignore the price ;) ) combined with the new Clip page that a combination of tactile surface and simplified interface can be a productivity win and I kind of see this with LumaFusion as being in the same vein.

As an FYI, here is the actual prototype unit with its default key map, although this will be user definable in the production version.

I have finally run out of the electric blue filament for my 3D printer so I was able to print this one in black! 

JSC-1_KEY_LAYOUT_UPDATED.thumb.jpg.2499cbc262faec8b7a5f94394a9f2bb2.jpg

After watching the video again while tinkering with an edit I'm interested. The Blackmagic keyboard looked interesting as well, until I saw the price. My greatest source of frustration is setting in/out points on a clip in the preview window before dropping it into the timeline, and trimming the ends of clips in the timeline since it usually involves a lot of scrolling or pinching to zoom in and out - frame advance would really help there. And I could use the shuttle with my iMac. I'll keep an eye out for when its available.

Chris

• Super Members
34 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

After watching the video again while tinkering with an edit I'm interested. The Blackmagic keyboard looked interesting as well, until I saw the price. My greatest source of frustration is setting in/out points on a clip in the preview window before dropping it into the timeline, and trimming the ends of clips in the timeline since it usually involves a lot of scrolling or pinching to zoom in and out - frame advance would really help there. And I could use the shuttle with my iMac. I'll keep an eye out for when its available.

Chris

I have tuned the outer wheel behaviour a bit more now so it is a more progressive ramp up.

I'll do another video next week.