Rigs/Sliders/Steadicam Recommendations

/p/

I want to increase the quality of work I produce. I am currently working for a local business as a camera operator while I am studying but also want to slowly build up a business of my own. 

I currently shoot with a GH3 however I have money put aside for a BMPCC (who knows when I'll be able to get my hands on one) and also have saved a decent amount for stuff I don't yet have.. For example a decent audio setup.

My main interest is shooting events and small documentary style shoots  I am interested in purchasing several things but would like to hopefully get some good recommendations for different types of products. I'll be basing my set around the BMPCC for now but do plan to also get a BMCC or something similar down the track.. I will PROBABLY keep the GH3 for any slow motion stuff since I do really love the camera and I do like the slow motion effect.

I'd say I am in the advanced enthusiast/Semi pro range, I wouldn't want to spend much more than $1000 on each product for now however I also don't need to stick to only the cheapest options. For example, I am interested in getting a steadicam since it will make my moving shots look a whole lot better. However I am not sure whether to go with something like the Steadicam Merlin 2 or Glidecam HD4000.. Not only that I am not sure whether to go with a Steadicam or something like a shoulder rig. 

What I already have is a decent Sachtler tripod so I don't have to worry about that for a while. 

I am just hoping to get some general information on items that may help me increase my (production value?) for shooting events and documentary style shoots. - Events could range from live events/festivals to weddings. Even recommendations on smaller items that may not get thought about as much.. For example several times I have thought "a gorillapod would have come in really handy right now" So.. I am going to buy a Gorillapod.

This might be strange but I am also interested in any accessories that would be useful for shooting from different angles INSIDE of a car as well as accessories that would help for shooting outside of a car or other vehicles.

THANKS!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It just comes down to what you need... A Rig is a whole different thing than a steadicam. The same goes for a slide for example. If you dont use/need all of them, dont buy them just because you could eventually use them some day and it might come in handy one day in one situation...

Nevertheless, the rig I bought, because I just felt I needed it ( ;) ) is the Gini Rig Extreme 17. You will get a lot of bang for your buck! The quality is quite impressive for the money (I paid around 500$) and you have a follow focus that works quite good, included.

I also own a Steadicam HD 2000, which is more than enough for dslr work! Its not that expensive and does its job just fine! Just make sure to get some kind of quick release plate for it (that also sits on top of your tripod and rig!!!), as the srewing, unscrewing can be a real PITA!

Hope that helped :)

Something else I'm looking to buy is a high quality ND set or Vari ND filter.. There is a pretty nice B+W ND set I like the look of (well it's not a set you buy each one seperately).. But I'm not sure what people are currently recommending as the best Vari ND atm.

Also does anyone own or have tried the blackbird camera stabilizer? At the moment I am tossing up between it and the steadicam merlin 2.. Unless someone has any other recommendations.

It just comes down to what you need... A Rig is a whole different thing than a steadicam. The same goes for a slide for example. If you dont use/need all of them, dont buy them just because you could eventually use them some day and it might come in handy one day in one situation...

Nevertheless, the rig I bought, because I just felt I needed it ( ;) ) is the Gini Rig Extreme 17. You will get a lot of bang for your buck! The quality is quite impressive for the money (I paid around 500$) and you have a follow focus that works quite good, included.

I also own a Steadicam HD 2000, which is more than enough for dslr work! Its not that expensive and does its job just fine! Just make sure to get some kind of quick release plate for it (that also sits on top of your tripod and rig!!!), as the srewing, unscrewing can be a real PITA!

Hope that helped :)

Thanks. I know I definitely want to add some movement to my videos... I know I definitely want a slider since I use one when for work and love it but don't own one of my own (the business I work for is also extremely large and gear is shared between many people so it's hard to loan it out for a day). 

As for the shoulder rig and stabilizer.. I know they do different things but I am honestly not sure which will suit my needs better so I am still considering both options. I don't want to be stuck to a tripod all the time, a rig would make it far easier to move around an event correct? However the stabilizer would make the smoothest possible movement shots? Still undecided on which I want to get first.. I probably won't buy both a stabilizer or shoulder rig at the same time but choose one first and get the other later on. One thing I know is that I won't be buying any Zacuto products. I do like the look of the red rock micro products but have not had any experience with them but I like how you can buy everything separately.

I think I saw a bundle from Ginirigs that has their Extreme 17 Rig (like I said, surpisingly awesome, not only for the price) bundled with their slider for the same price the rig alone, might want to check that out (not sure if its still there however).

I found this one: http://ginirigs.com/monster-g8-slider/

I dont own the Monster Rig, but the build quality should be just as good as the Extreme 17/Pro. Maybe that could be a good deal for you.

As for the rig/steadicam question: Steadicam without a vest would be a nightmare for events...next to impossible I would say, unless you are Arnie in his best days. I have done some event work with some SHAPE configurations and it worked like a charm. I also had some suüpport thing that went into my belt ( like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734284-REG/Shape_wlb_COMPOFIC_Composite_Fiction_Camera_Support.html ), which really helped and made most shots a lot steadier and just felt like a good support overall.

So unless you have a vest for the steadicam it will only be for smaller clips (4-5 Minutes max I would say), until your arm falls off. And dont forget that you definately have to practice A LOT with a steadicam before you are able to handle it properly and make your first really awesome steadicam shots. This can be incredibly tedious and frustrating, but I had a lot of fun overall (not saying that I would be a really good steadicam operator ^^) and the look on the faces of my neighbours as I walked the stairs of our apartmentbuilding up and down with the steadicam in my hands was priceless :D

If I had to rank my rigging kit based on the frequency of use, here 'tis:

1* monopod with feet

2* shoulder rig

3* tripod with good head

4* slider 

5* stedicam

My experience is that I take stuff with me that is light and compact. My *1 goes with me everywhere. It only takes a few seconds to unpack and setup and I can be shooting video immediately. My *2 compact shoulder rig is always with me too. Between the two items and my camera/sound bag, I can be shooting documentary-type stuff on a moment's notice.

Show me a wedding, and I'll be zipping around with a rig on my shoulder or I'll be using my monopod with feet to grab more static shots. 

If you don't have a shoulder rig, consider getting one. Early on, I bought the $50 shoulder rig from Amazon and have been very pleased with it. Super compact, so you can fold it up and take it everywhere.

With a slider, consider the Edelkrone compact slider. Lots of motion in a compact unit. 

For Steadicam, I'd consider waiting for the era of cheap, compact Movi-like stedicam rigs to enter the market. Everyone is building one now and they take a fraction of the experience to operate. (If you love Steadicam, make sure you check out 'supertramp' on YouTube. He rocks the HD2000.)

• 5 months later...

Just a note, I think the BMPCC is not suitable for event or documentary, that's where the GH3 shines.

I agree with Ben above, a monopod with a video head would increase a lot your shots. It's portable, quick to setup, affordable etc. 

If you don't have decent audio, then it's time to get something. You can get the best image in the world but if we can't hear what they say, then it's moot.