Eos R finally closer to it's actual value

Snowbro

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

And yes the battery life is pretty mediocre too. The only things it really leads in are:

Colour science

Nice EVF with good peaking

Canon lenses

Dual Pixel AF...

But then again Sony, Fuji and Olympus (E-M1X) are all doing great video AF and tracking now... Dual Pixel AF is less of a draw.

Good post - and I'd argue the Pany S1 and Fuji Xt3 have nicer colour, and the evf on the S1 is by all accounts class leading.

All the recent cameras have their quirks but the Canon to me is the most galling

9 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Yes, I agree. But a good ol’ fashion glidecam benefits from it too.

Ha have got a Blackbird stabiliser gathering dust somewhere... Am not a fan of excessive unmotivated gimbal and slider (and drone while we're at it) shots in general - prefer classic handheld or tripod aesthetic 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, sanveer said:

A comment I read there 

"the EOS M50 alone outsells all other mirrorless cameras in last BCN ranking published and sells at least 5 times more than the Sony A7III. In this same ranking, Canon owns 27% market share in MILC only with M50 and M100. ".

Which is true by the way.

I am sure a6300/6400/6500 is a bigger money maker for Sony than their full frame cameras. Those a6xxx cameras must be dead cheap to make and sell many more times than any other Sony full frame camera. Except software enhancements they barely have any hardware R&D costs for almost half a dozen years. Well done Sony! (Even though still I wouldn't spend a dime for any of the A or a cameras).

11 hours ago, Kisaha said:

A comment I read there 

"the EOS M50 alone outsells all other mirrorless cameras in last BCN ranking published and sells at least 5 times more than the Sony A7III. In this same ranking, Canon owns 27% market share in MILC only with M50 and M100. ".

I am sure a6300/6400/6500 is a bigger money maker for Sony than their full frame cameras. Those a6xxx cameras must be dead cheap to make and sell many more times than any other Sony full frame camera. Except software enhancements they barely have any hardware R&D costs for almost half a dozen years. Well done Sony! (Even though still I wouldn't spend a dime for any of the A or a cameras).

These seem to be more on point. I guess all categories will have to be specifically measured. https://nikonrumors.com/2019/01/15/the-2019-bcn-rankings-are-out.aspx/amp/

Though I have to agree about the A7iii being quite the bang for the buck. 

11 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

But...those are crop sensor cameras...it can't be true. I don't accept it. Full frame...

Most consumers don't know anything about sensor size, etc. It's really only in this prosumer/professional bubble that people are obsessed with full frame cameras. 

Meanwhile I'm happy over here with my M43 and next month is set to be my most profitable month ever! 

On 5/4/2019 at 10:18 AM, Kisaha said:

It is unfortunate then for those buyers that EOS-M is an almost dead mount which one day Canon will kill off completely. 

On 5/3/2019 at 6:18 PM, Kisaha said:

A comment I read there 

I think half the reason the M50, M100 is so popular in Japan is because you can buy it in White and Red also. Probably Pink truth be known. 10 to 17 year old girls probably buy the vast majority of them.

On 5/5/2019 at 6:39 AM, IronFilm said:

It is unfortunate then for those buyers that EOS-M is an almost dead mount which one day Canon will kill off completely. 

It's all relative.

I shot a performance last night with GH5/JVC LS300/1 A7iii and 2 NX1, which literally is a dead mount, and in terms of performance, focus dampening (the throw and feel is unbelievable) the S lenses were the best of the group (Sony 24-105mm, Olympus 12-40mm 2.8, Panasonic 12-60mm)

In the final editing the biggest percentage will be NX.

For most of the M50 buyers this will be the last camera they will ever need, or want. It will be adequate for family and travel pictures for the foreseable future and it is clearly targeted to the masses, and not us.

They will be fine..

On 5/3/2019 at 5:18 PM, Kisaha said:

A comment I read there 

You and I are fellow NX1 brothers in arms, and I normally agree with you on everything. 

But the a6400 is a cracking good camera for the money. Especially as a hybrid. It's a better stills camera than the NX1 or any Fuji camera. I own a X-T3, X-H1 and they have far better ergonomics, but the Sony sensor is better and the Sigma trinity of primes is on par with Fuji's wildly expensive 1.4/1.2s for half or 1/3rd the cost.

I still prefer the NX1/500 for video, and both are great stills cameras. But the a6400 for $900 absolutely wipes the mat with anything Canon or Nikon is doing right now. 

On 5/5/2019 at 5:39 AM, IronFilm said:

Magic Lantern will unlock the M50's true (RAW) power and it and all EF-M lenses will get a second life ;)

9 hours ago, m43forme said:

You and I are fellow NX1 brothers in arms, and I normally agree with you on everything. 

But the a6400 is a cracking good camera for the money. Especially as a hybrid. It's a better stills camera than the NX1 or any Fuji camera. I own a X-T3, X-H1 and they have far better ergonomics, but the Sony sensor is better and the Sigma trinity of primes is on par with Fuji's wildly expensive 1.4/1.2s for half or 1/3rd the cost.

I still prefer the NX1/500 for video, and both are great stills cameras. But the a6400 for $900 absolutely wipes the mat with anything Canon or Nikon is doing right now. 

Unless you use the electronic shutter. Fuji is doing 30fps RAW on the XT30 with very minimal rolling shutter issues. The sensor may be a bit better in low light and dynamic range but not enough for me to prefer it. Not when the Fuji kills it in video. The auto focus is nice tho.

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Unless you use the electronic shutter. Fuji is doing 30fps RAW on the XT30 with very minimal rolling shutter issues. The sensor may be a bit better in low light and dynamic range but not enough for me to prefer it. Not when the Fuji kills it in video. The auto focus is nice tho.

If rolling shutter is a concern, then I absolutely would avoid the a6400. But as a stills camera, the a6400 walks the Fuji, especially when you consider the full ecosystem. The sensor is better/sharper/cleaner in low light. The Sigma trinity is 1/3 the price - and the 56mm 1.4 Sigma is a better lens than the 56mm 1.2 except for distortion. I never miss a shot with my a6400, I miss shots with my X-H1.

But to be fair, we're splitting hairs at this point because everything is so good.

it's $2,699 but still way overpriced compared to EF version or even the $1500 85mm 1.4 that has IS. 

yeah the optics are superior but who in their right mind would drop that kind of cash to put on a R/RP?! 

i'm sticking with EF for the conceivable future.. canon better drop that pro model pronto..

2 hours ago, Django said:

it's $2,699 but still way overpriced compared to EF version or even the $1500 85mm 1.4 that has IS. 

yeah the optics are superior but who in their right mind would drop that kind of cash to put on a R/RP?! 

i'm sticking with EF for the conceivable future.. canon better drop that pro model pronto..

Do you think they are holding back a pro model because it would seriously undercut R sales? It seems to be Canon's MO lately.

On 5/3/2019 at 3:18 PM, Kisaha said:

A comment I read there 

You would be surprised. The production costs for an a7x model is probably not much more than that for a6xxx cameras. The main difference would come from slightly more expensive electronics in the FF cameras. There would be a small difference due to the materials used in the camera as well. But by far the largest cost component would be labour, since they have to be carefully assembled by skilled workers. 

That small difference in cost of materials has a big impact on the much smaller profit margin of the cheaper camera however, which is why those compromises are made.

35 minutes ago, Mokara said:

You would be surprised. The production costs for an a7x model is probably not much more than that for a6xxx cameras. The main difference would come from slightly more expensive electronics in the FF cameras. There would be a small difference due to the materials used in the camera as well. But by far the largest cost component would be labour, since they have to be carefully assembled by skilled workers. 

That small difference in cost of materials has a big impact on the much smaller profit margin of the cheaper camera however, which is why those compromises are made.

The a6xxx doesnt even has adequate buttons, and it is the same thing since literally the beginning of the mirrorless era. Must be dead cheap to manufacture.

"slightly more expensive electronics"?! What do you mean "slightly"!?!? Data transfer/sensor size/buffer, everything is on a much bigger scale.

Also A7 cameras can be cheaper than a6xxx cameras.