Eos R finally closer to it's actual value

Snowbro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I think the price drops from Nikon and Canon are probably reflective of slow body sales due to people hesitating over buying into a new lens mount as much as they are about the bodies not being interesting enough.

Both systems launched with pretty underwhelming native lens lineups that offered no enticement to anyone to make the switch if they could only get their current lens ranges via adapters.

Most of us on here have no problem being early adopters and using adapters but I'm not sure its a view shared by the larger camera buying public.

I think that Panasonic may well be walking straight into the same problem unless Sigma get those native L mount lenses out pretty sharpish.

25 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think the price drops from Nikon and Canon are probably reflective of slow body sales due to people hesitating over buying into a new lens mount as much as they are about the bodies not being interesting enough.

Both systems launched with pretty underwhelming native lens lineups that offered no enticement to anyone to make the switch if they could only get their current lens ranges via adapters.

Most of us on here have no problem being early adopters and using adapters but I'm not sure its a view shared by the larger camera buying public.

I think that Panasonic may well be walking straight into the same problem unless Sigma get those native L mount lenses out pretty sharpish.

I agree. As appealing as a shorter flange distance sounds to open up lens opportunities otherwise. It possible with the EF and F mount, there were just too many lenses in their collection to question if a new mount was worth it. I don’t have a huge issue with adapters but I used them for so long, it is nice to have native lenses and so far nothing about the price of these new lenses are enticing. 

I actually like the features and IQ of the EOS-R but I don’t see myself investing into the RF line, so I’m hesitant to buy an R camera.

I have a friend that’s also a filmmaker and he outright refuses to use any non-native lens. 

In some ways it could have made more sense for Canon to rerelease the FD Mount than to create an entire new mount. In fact,

I wouldn’t be surprised if Canon releases a FF mirrorless in the EF mount within the next couple years.

They do not go back. It is just too early for their new mounts and not in the best era, but they are not going back.

They have so many millions of lenses sold that is going to be difficult to move the needle early on, but after a couple of years they will.

EF lenses can - or at least could - sold all these underwhelming bodies, but there are not enough - or cheap - R lenses to sell the underwhelming mirrorless bodies.

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, mercer said:

In fact,I wouldn’t be surprised if Canon releases a FF mirrorless in the EF mount within the next couple years.

On the one hand I think it might suggest a loss of face about the new mount but on the other hand milking that range of existing EF lenses must be very tempting.

Maybe the RF should have been the one to act as a gateway to mirrorless for their DSLR owners as one problem with having a lens system that can now be adapted electronically to every other system is that people have other options when it comes to going mirrorless if your own system is going to need an adapter anyway.

Camera sales have been abysmal this year. CIPA shows that for the first 3 months, DSLR shipments were down 40% and mirrorless down 10%. The fall in mirrorless is particularly bad considering that both Canon and Nikon have fairly aggressively entered the market.

A friend of mine wants to upgrade his 5D mkiii - he was torn between the RP and the 5Div. After going back and forth for a month - he decided to wait another year.

As for EF lenses - Canon doesnt have a lot of choice. The EF lenses are built for PDAF focusing and dont have stepper motors for efficient CDAF focusing, so they have to bring out new lenses. (Incidentally pdaf should always work better on a DSLR because the sensor array (off sensor) can be larger than on sensor mirrorless systems.

Wild to see the prices drop so quickly from both Nikon and Canon. Whether it's due to slow sales or attempting to undermine Panasonic, I'd be very upset if I'd bought the camera before these price drops because the potential resale value has plummeted. Definitely not something I'd want to do to the early adopters. 

Wake me up when they've dropped another 50%!

18 minutes ago, kaylee said:

naw, i hope the best for the R series, its just that this body is $550 new

I'd rather take an Olympus EM10mk3 or Panasonic G85

(or wait for a "Fujifilm X-T300")

41 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Wild to see the prices drop so quickly from both Nikon and Canon. Whether it's due to slow sales or attempting to undermine Panasonic, I'd be very upset if I'd bought the camera before these price drops because the potential resale value has plummeted. Definitely not something I'd want to do to the early adopters. 

It is the natural risk everyone takes as an early adopter!

None the less I've seen many angry posts from early adopters on social media. When it really should be no surprise to them whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

The EOS-R Should have been $1999.00 to start with. I have no clue why Canon thought they had something so special that it would end up costing the most money of the bunch.

I’m pretty certain the Panasonic S1 is more money than the Eos R at release. In any case all these cameras are going to drop in price. If money is tight you are better off waiting. 

When the pro body comes out it will be top dollar. Wait a few months and save. I’ll buy it at launch. I don’t delude myself into thinking cameras are investment any more that fancy cars.

17 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I’m pretty certain the Panasonic S1 is more money than the Eos R at release. In any case all these cameras are going to drop in price. If money is tight you are better off waiting. 

When the pro body comes out it will be top dollar. Wait a few months and save. I’ll buy it at launch. I don’t delude myself into thinking cameras are investment any more that fancy cars.

You know they will Gimp the hell out of it somehow. It might be a Turkey. Canon had better wake up on it, they are in a Hell of a crowded field now. This isn't just them and Nikon battling it out anymore. DSLRs now are really pretty much dead. Unless you are a Wildlife or a Sports shooter there is no reason to buy one anymore. And a APSH, APSC makes more sense anyways on both just for the extra reach of the crop sensor. Heck I keep reading about more and more people going to the Olympus EM1 X. It's cheaper than the top DSLRs, so why not. Crazy good IBIS is hard to turn down, along with lighter lenses.

5 hours ago, kaylee said:

take the "1" off and we can talk ?

$1998?

3 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

A friend of mine wants to upgrade his 5D mkiii - he was torn between the RP and the 5Div. After going back and forth for a month - he decided to wait another year.

The harder the manufacturers compete and the faster they push out new models the more that analysis paralysis will kick in.

3 hours ago, kye said:

The harder the manufacturers compete and the faster they push out new models the more that analysis paralysis will kick in.

Indeed, analysis paralysis is the perfect psychological driver of both brand loyalty and GAS. Luckily, most people have a limited budget for gadgets and are forced to use their, honestly more than capable enough gear. This is bad for the imaging industry, but the market has been overinflated and will have to shrink to a final, sustainable level quickly. Hopefully, enough players survive to drive slow, but steady progress. A unified mount is a pipe-dream, I know, but imagine that for a second.

I got my R for way cheaper than that 2 months, thanks to Canon in Oz been generous with $1 R auctions (they stopped when RP comes out), though my one wasn't the lowest amount among the past winners but so far I am pretty happy with the camera overall, video look more natural than M50.