Sharpest setup

Rikoshet

Hello guys!

Need an advice and your experience here. Looking for sharpest setup.  As I understand to shoot anamorphic we need:

1. taking lens. I will choose a modern one, maybe sigma art o maybe a vintage one it depends on anamorphic adapter. I'll be using it on Pocket 4k so I need to start with 50mm equivalent like 25mm m4/3 lens.

2. anamorphic adapter. Better 16mm or 35mm?

3. single focus adapter. As I understand from the big Tito Ferradans review, the rectilux is the sharpest, ok. Which anamorphic adapter is sharpest, is there a list somewhere?

Thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

1. modern glass, so native high quality M4/3 glass from Panasonic or Olympus or veydra.
2. cinelux ES

3. Rectilux HCDNA

You will get oval bokeh and some corner distortion ,that will be very sharp but sterile .
You should rather consider vintage primes as taking lenses, you will get less sharp results but something with more live in it.

On 4/27/2019 at 12:58 PM, Rikoshet said:

1. taking lens. I will choose a modern one, maybe sigma art o maybe a vintage one it depends on anamorphic adapter. I'll be using it on Pocket 4k so I need to start with 50mm equivalent like 25mm m4/3 lens.

Just a reminder:
You'll get a massive vignette if you use 25 mm M4/3 lens with a 2x anamorphic adapter.

The widest you you could go is 42.5 mm

14 hours ago, heart0less said:

Just a reminder:
You'll get a massive vignette if you use 25 mm M4/3 lens with a 2x anamorphic adapter.

The widest you you could go is 42.5 mm

I don t think that true, I can go 55mm with a cinelux 2x + rectilux on full frame .

You should be able to use a 28mm if you don t use a speedbooster.

1 hour ago, Laurier said:

I don t think that true, I can go 55mm with a cinelux 2x + rectilux on full frame .

Even in photo mode?
Or in video (after cropping out the sides in order to finally deliver in 2.35:1) ?

That'd be quite a feat, though everything is possible. Especially in anamorphic world.

Meanwhile, OP mentions M4/3 camera, which most likely means GH5 and therefore - 4:3 open gate mode.

18 hours ago, heart0less said:

Even in photo mode?
Or in video (after cropping out the sides in order to finally deliver in 2.35:1) ?

That'd be quite a feat, though everything is possible. Especially in anamorphic world.

Meanwhile, OP mentions M4/3 camera, which most likely means GH5 and therefore - 4:3 open gate mode.

actually he states pocket 4k

On 4/27/2019 at 8:58 PM, Rikoshet said:

1.  I'll be using it on Pocket 4k so I need to start with 50mm equivalent like 25mm m4/3 lens.

i am also wondering with the 2x crop on the p4k how wide one could go before vignetting ? the only rule i know of is about 85mm for full frame. How things work on m4/3  is a mystery i have yet to delve into.

On 4/29/2019 at 2:16 PM, heart0less said:

Even in photo mode?

in video mode with extraction for 2.39, I quickly tested in photo mode and I should also be able to extract 2.39 from it .

Basically the cinelux cover up to 42.5mm for 35mm, 4 perf anamorphic ( that a larger area than most super 35mm sensors), once you add a single focus solution in from you mostly cover up to 45mm .

https://www.pointsinfocus.com/tools/depth-of-field-and-equivalent-lens-calculator/#{"c":[{"av":"2","fl":42.5,"d":3048,"cm":"0"}],"m":0}

I did a data input there so you can see the equivalency per format.

That still theoretical as the lens design of the taking prime influence the values as well, but that a good ballpark.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:44 PM, Laurier said:

You should be able to use a 28mm if you don t use a speedbooster.

Thank you Laurier! There some options for that focal lenght, what do you suggest? Zeiss, canon fd, russian lenses?

Thank you!

On 4/29/2019 at 3:16 PM, heart0less said:

Even in photo mode?

No, I said Pocket 4k camera so no open gate there.

Thank you anyway for your time!

13 hours ago, Rikoshet said:

Thank you Laurier! There some options for that focal lenght, what do you suggest? Zeiss, canon fd, russian lenses?

Thank you!

No, I said Pocket 4k camera so no open gate there.

Thank you anyway for your time!

If you want something sharp I will go zeiss I think, the russian 28mm is slow , and I did not try the FD.