QUESTION: Panasonic S1/R + Ninja V delay or lag?

Linus N

Hey forumers!

I posted a thread some time ago about the signal delay between my GH5 and Ninja V is too pronounced to be usable. Atomos have yet to recognize the fault is theirs and accept a return, so I'm looking at investing in an S1 or S1R to supplement my GH5. The interest was sparked the other day when I was shooting a food event and another videographer turned up with a Nikon Z6 with Ninja V attached which had a much lower delay and it just looked so lovely with the FF and low delay monitoring with the Ninja V.

Now, those of you that own an S1/S1R and Ninja V, how are you experiencing the delay? If it's at GH5 levels it's a no-go for me, if it's as fast as the Z6 I saw the other day I will order an S1/S1R today.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: For instance, the lag seems quite pronounced when this guy turns his head https://youtu.be/bdCbpPxQbw4?t=187

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I kind of doubt it is a camera or a Ninja V problem. It is more of a HDMI problem. The Z6 is probably using a newer version of HDMI. There is a reason Pro stuff uses SDI connections, even Fiber for really long runs, not counting a more secure connection.

I mentioned this in my other thread, but in short the GH4/5 are known for HDMI delay, however I get way more delay into Ninja V than with other monitors. And until we get SDI on mirrorless bodies HDMI is the boss :) the short delay I saw on the Z6 setup the other day would work great for my use-case, where the GH5+Ninja V is unusable for anything than static shots really.

With the GH5 / 4 it's older tech in those bodies and they had to cut corners somewhere. I don't think it's the HDMI cable because Atomos core runs through those cables. Cables deliver information. The S1 is an upgrade over the Gh5 so it should be fine.

Oh I am sure the S1 is using the latest HDMI standard. The GH5 is getting pretty long in the tooth now in this fast changing world. And I doubt they cut corners, I have always thought Panasonic has always put pretty much all the latest Tech available there is into their stuff at the time. It is using an older HDMI version, like any 3 year old camera is. Now they are not going to creep up on their higher end stuff feature wise but.. I really don't think there is Any video camera that has more features in it, Prosumer or Pro than the GH5 has even to this day.

• 1 year later...

Nothing to do with the HDMI, either the recorder or camera is to blame unless the HDMI run is very VERY long.

One of the most annoying aspects of my Z6 is the output delay, and I sold my Blackmagic 4K 8G recorder because the delay on it was horrific. 

I’ve heard all these great reviews, watched tons of YouTubers rant about how great it is and so far it’s bad and I’m thinking of sending it back.

lag is so high you can’t use it to pull focus, which is part of the point, and out of the box the screen is bright orange. The white balance is so far off on the monitor it’s comical, and there’s no way to change it.

even using a correction LUT doesn’t really work as the top whites still stay orange, I guess because the monitor itself is orange so the high whites are just it’s orange backlight.

i actually have the calibration unit you can use with it as I bought it for other monitors but they want £100 for a cable to calibrate it, and Get this: I’ve read of people buying their expensive cable, running calibration and finding no success.