Panasonic GX7 to feature video 'to GH3 standard' yet has in-body stabilisation!

Andrew Reid

I prefer stabilization over peaking any day but if i can have booth i will not get mad.

Wish for the GX7 come with at least the 50mbit codec of the GH3 and some kind of stabilization like the OM-D would be a a hell of the camera if the sensor have at least the GH3 dynamic range, and if more? much better.

I really like the rotating viewfinder, this is something i like from the Nex 5n EVF. Right now i'm considering the GH3 but i'm very tempting by the BMCPC, because i work mostly in video compositing and animation and the video from the Blackmagic is a bless for a nice chromakey work, but the GH3 still more versatile.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm surprised people care so much about focus peaking, just use a monitor with peaking, you can focus even better :)

I'm not surprised. I find both equally redundant. A viewfinder that's difficult to pick sharp focus whilst recording is to me as equally useless as a monitor balancing on top a small camera in bright sunlight. The only use I have for a monitor is maybe when shooting long interviews indoors or as a director/field producer confidence booster. When I'm not using a monitor, I don't miss the crowd gathering over my shoulder. I've used my Zacuto EVF on flapping mirror cameras and it's not very robust and I don't need more cables to fail and more batteries to charge. The fewer accessories the better.

For me THE best feature to arrive with mirror-less cameras is the EVF. For me it's the most tactile and immersive means of composing and following accurate focus. 

I was surprised when Panasonic left peaking off the GH3 but won't be surprised when they now include it with each and every camera in the future. Lesson learned and sales go up.

Back on topic. I'm glad to hear Panasonic may include focus peaking on the GX7 and glad to hear that finally we may have a quality video experience with a usable viewfinder, fast lenses, large(ish) sensor and IBIS! Now all we need is for Panasonic to adopt ProRes422.

Please don't reply and tell me to get a BMPCC. No viewfinder, no IBIS, small(ish) sensor. Fail.

43 Rumors published more photos of the GX7, and also what appears to be the German press release, with a lot of info:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-lots-of-new-info-about-the-gx7-coming-tomorrow-august-1-at-6-am-london-time/

Looks like an amazing camera - but totally oriented for photography. For movies...will have to wait the release tomorrow, but the text below have the following phrase:

"The Lumix GX7 with Full HD 1920 x 1080/50p is fully abreast of the times. In addition, the cinematic look with 24p recording and image recording rate of 24 Mb / s are available as well as the creative possibilities of the P / A / S / M modes as well as continuous and Tracking AF. "

1080p/24 with 24Mb/s bitrate...my guess that will be exactly the same video specs of the G6. I was expecting that - to protect the GH3 sales.

No word about IBIS for movies. Have focus peaking, with two color to choose, blue and orange. Sensor is 16Mp, said to be totally new and developed by Panasonic. Have electronic shutter, at least for photos. Have ETC mode, "up to 4.8x". No word about external mic input.

The text below is translated (with Google Translate) from the German "press release" in the 43 Rumors site.

=============================================

Panasonic presents challenging and ambitious photographer with the LUMIX DMC-GX7 a new mirror-less Micro Four Thirds system camera with a convenient compact format. The GX7 combines a compact design, photo, technical performance and latest communication technology. Thus, it sets a new standard - not only for Micro Four Thirds cameras. This applies both to the recording quality as well as for the handling and comfort.

The Lumix GX7 guarantees a very impressive image quality thanks to their excellent performance in resolution, imaging and color reproduction. It irritates the potential of the new digital live MOS sensor with 16 megapixel resolution with new sensor architecture and coordinated new Venus Engine image processor optimally. It allows exceptionally clean resolution, sharp images even in poor lighting at sensitivities up to ISO 25,600. As the first Lumix G camera, it has optical image stabilization by sensor shift.

The highlight of the Lumix GX7 equipment is the new integrated, swiveling by 90 ° upwards Live View Finder (LVF). He holds with a resolution of 2.76 million pixels currently (August 2013) the record for resolution and sharpness. He also facilitated by its flexible swivel option-choice perspective. Alternatively, is the image control and contemplation-up or fold-down 7.5-inch Touch Screen LCD Monitor with 1.04 million pixels available.

Thanks to the first are without own image stabilizer with the Lumix GX7 stable images even with lenses with a Lumix G to use upcoming optical image stabilization by sensor-shift possible, except with high-Micro Four Thirds lenses, lenses from other manufacturers or third-party lenses via an adapter, do not own the image stabilizer.

With a fastest shutter speed of 1/8000s only the GX7 now expanding the photographic leeway especially when using very large-aperture lenses. In addition, the focus peaking display function makes precise control of the focus. The quality of the video recording is also benefiting from the improvements of the new Digital Live MOS sensor. The Lumix GX7 with Full HD 1920 x 1080/50p is fully abreast of the times. In addition, the cinematic look with 24p recording and image recording rate of 24 Mb / s are available as well as the creative possibilities of the P / A / S / M modes as well as continuous and Tracking AF. Is recorded in the AVCHD Progressive or MP4 format. The contrast AF system of LUMIX GX7 characterized by increased speed and precision thanks to a high-speed digital signal exchange between camera and lens corresponding to 240 B / s With features such as low-light AF, Pin-Point AF, multi-field, or Spot AF, the AF system is the most diverse motives justice.

The growing importance of mobile communication but the GX7 with Wi-Fi and NFC (Near Field Communication) technology meet. Users can use the camera on their smartphone or tablet simply connect via a short contact of the device, and not just in order to transfer images. Rather, it is possible to use a smartphone or tablet as a remote shutter release and multifunction monitor. The Instant Transfer feature allows you to send photos immediately after shooting automatically directly to a smartphone / tablet. In addition, the transfer of photos and video over a wireless home network (router) directly for backup and archiving on a connected computer is possible.

Digital Live MOS sensor with 16 Mpx and new architecture

Panasonic has developed a Digital Live MOS sensor with 16-megapixel resolution from the ground up for the Lumix GX7. It combines practice-oriented resolving power with high sensitivity and minimal noise. This progress is achieved by enlarged photo diodes, as they are made possible by the latest technology in semiconductor manufacturing. On top of an optimized design of the microlenses on the individual pixels of the sensor. As color saturation and sensitivity can be increased by 10 percent. The signal / noise ratio is improved by 10 percent compared to the GX1 both in the pixel circuit and by a special circuit directly from the signal read by 25 percent and detail reproduction. The advanced multi-process noise reduction system of the Venus Engine image processor eliminates image noise even more effective by capturing larger areas for noise detection.

This is especially popular with night shots for significantly improved images. The multi-process noise reduction also ensures in two separate steps for even finer control of the noise level. The structure of the noise is independent of its size improved with this active control - for example, human skin, even with high ISO values ​​very naturally played back. For improved detail rendering a new, optimized filtering process increases the resolution limit by up to 3 percent, and the contrast in the medium to high range by up to 5 percent. In addition, the "Intelligent D-Range Control" provides a greater dynamic range with uniform gradation. So are all the details from dark to light given granularity and without an accumulated shadows or lights faded. Together the Digital Live MOS sensor and the Venus Engine image processor speeds allow up to a maximum ISO 25,600.

Superior AF performance and speed of response

All Lumix G cameras use a sensor contrast AF system for determining the optimum sharpness. This ensures greater accuracy of the distance setting in comparison to the classical phase detection system. This is especially true when shooting with fast lenses with large f-denöffnung. The lightning-fast contrast autofocus on the Lumix GX7 is also fast-moving subjects justice. In accuracy and speed, it surpasses even high-end DSLRs with phase detection system. To the AF response times to minimize, replace their digital camera and lens signals from up to 240 times per second. This allows the Lumix GX7 the high-speed image series with 5 frames / sec at full 16-megapixel resolution. AF tracking of fast auto-focus series of exposures GX7 allows up to 4.3 frames / sec (In 1-area AF with Focus Tracking Modus9 ter move objects. Maximum 40 frames / sec are possible with electronic shutter.

The already known from Lumix G6 and GF6 low-light AF mode also improves AF performance in low light conditions without auxiliary light. It allows automatic focusing in up to -4 EV darker areas, which corresponds to the brightness of a landscape under a clear starry sky, without light source. ie functionality of Pin-Point AF is further improved with the GX7. Thus, the magnification on the monitor by 3x to 10x can be varied in 1/10-Stufen. Picture-in-picture is possible with 3x to 6x magnification, the frame size can be achieved continuously from 1/80 to 1 / 24th The One-Shot AF mode allows you to activate the auto focus in MF mode quickly by pressing the AF lock button to make a quick pre-focus and then manually focus fine. Exceptionally responsive is the Lumix GX7 with its turn-of just 0.5 seconds (With H FS1442A zoom according to CIPA standard) when using UHS-I (Ultra High Speed ​​I) SDXC / SDHC are the files themselves in RAW mode quickly stored.

Tiltable viewfinder and touchscreen monitor

The Lumix GX7 is equipped with an integrated, 90 ° upward folding LVF (Live View Finder) in 16:9 format. He has an unusually high resolution of 2.7648 million pixels and almost covers the entire Adobe RGB color space. The visually pleasant viewfinder magnification of effective 0.7x (equivalent to a 35mm) and approximately 17.5 mm exit pupil allow a more relaxed view of the 100% image. The tiltable LVF allows insight from above for unobtrusive recordings from breast perspective. An eye sensor provides automatic switching between viewfinder and monitor image. When looking through the viewfinder, the autofocus is automatically enabled for the GX7 is ready to shoot. The sensitivity of the eye sensor is adjustable in two stages. The inadvertent switching operation in the camera using the touch screen to avoid the, the sensor can also be switched off. The 7.5 cm wide, electrostatic touch screen LCD Monitor with 1.04 million pixels is about 100 percent of the subject and is up to 80 degrees upward and 45 degrees downward folding. Its front wheel is direct, without a layer of air between them, mounted on the new LCD panel with integrated touch sensors. This significantly reduces reflections. Together with the increased resolution by about 13 percent and 20 percent improved color reproduction, the LCD monitor provides the GX7 a better-he kennbares image than older generations Monitor. An improved backlight provides a magnified view and a 25 percent year-ringeren energy consumption. When auto focus by touch screen can easily be enlarged with a Fingerbewe supply for a more precise focusing of the target point for focusing. The sensitivity of the touch pad AF was increased in the GX7 so that it reacts even faster.

Detail improvements-optical image stabilizer in the camera body

The Lumix GX7 is the first Lumix G with integrated image stabilization in the housing. He protects while shooting with lenses without image stabilization own safe from blurred images. This works not only with Micro Four Thirds lenses without image stabilization, but also with lenses from other manufacturers, irrespective of, whether these are connected via adapters come with a Micro Four Thirds or bayonet. Become Lumix G lenses with O.I.S. used at the GX7, the specific objective image stabilization is prioritized.

Shortest Shutter Speed ​​1/8000 sec

The Lumix GX7 now offers 1/8000 s as the fastest shutter speed. It allows the "freezing" fast moving object, but also allows more leeway in Aperture priority with bright lenses, about to take pictures even in bright conditions with shallow depth of field at full aperture.

Focus Peaking Display - The sharpness in view

For precise control of the focus, the focus peaking display the Lumix GX7 is very handy. It works in both the AF-MF as in MF mode and shows the edges of the subject, where the focus is, of color. The display can be controlled in two steps, stop and vary in color between blue or orange, so that it always remains clearly visible from different backgrounds.

Mute

To enable silent recording on special occasions, this setting changes to a button from the mechanical to the electronic trip turns all device sounds (AF operation) and suppresses the flash and AF assist light.

Full HD video at 50p and fast action autofocus

The Lumix GX7 filming Full HD video with 1920 x 1080 pixels and 50p in AVCHD Progressive mode (MPEG-4 / H.264). It also supports images in the cinematic look with 1.080/24p in AVCHD format. In addition, videographers can make individual settings as required in P / A / S / M. For direct viewing on a PC or other portable electronic devices, the GX7 Full HD video - without file conversion - also record in MP4 format.

Thanks to an optimized utilization of the pixels mix and video recordings benefit from the improvements of the sensor in terms of sensitivity, sharpness and clarity of the image. In addition to the continuous AF allows the Touch AF function, the specific focus shifting from one design to another detail, as we know from movies. All it takes is a tap of the target subject on the monitor, so that the AF itself then follows the detail with the edge when it moves anschlies-send. For good stereo sound to the video GX7 Dolby Digital sound recording provides. A windscreen suppresses spurious noise. The Extra Tele-converter function extends the zoom range up to 4.8x, and thanks to the lower video resolution with no degradation of image quality, the timelapse feature starts the recording of photo sequences automatically as soon as the start time, interval, and number of images are selected . The stop-motion animation feature allows the production of animated videos by automatically joining the sequentially recorded single movement or photos with different stages of an object.

Maximum recording time with AVCHD 29 minutes 59 seconds
Maximum recording time with MP4 29 minutes 59 seconds or up to 4 GB

Ease of use / Extensive standard equipment including WLAN / NFC

The cast iron housing, the DMC-GX7 of a magnesium alloy is very stable and designed for uncompromising practicality and reliability. The intuitive operation of the ve GX7 Lumix Panasonic is the result of years of experience. Two dials on the front and rear camera is used for rapid and safe-tion setting - such as speed and aperture in manual code. The Live View function allows control of highlights and shadows before the receiving, if necessary, to make an exposure adjustment separately for light and dark areas can. For this, the GX7 offers three presets, three more individual user settings are automatically saved to the. In addition, a new Fn (Function) tab is integrated in the menu can be called from a total of 40 possible options quickly with the total selected functions 9 (4 by 5 key in the register and).

Easy link to image transmission and remote control via Wi-Fi/NFC

The GX7 is equipped with Wi-Fi Module (IEEE 802.11b/g/n) and NFC (Near Field Communication) technology. This results in new opportunities for recording and playback. To use this photo, viewing and sharing capabilities with the Lumix GX7, only the Panasonic Panasonic own application software "Image must be installed app for iOS or Android smartphones or tablets to the respective mobile device. Users can connect to a smartphone or tablet PC, the camera simply by bringing together close to the equipment. Then after a few seconds the devices communicate without cumbersome manual procedure or connection authorization. With a smartphone or tablet PC, the camera remote control and image control display of the device is possible with photo and video. (For video recording, remote control of Aufnahme-Start/-Stopp via smartphone / tablet is possible) Thus, the adjustment of aperture, shutter speed, focus, exposure, zoom lens (LUMIX G With power zoom lenses.) And other requirements by smartphone / tablet to be made. With the instant transfer feature, the camera can transmit the image data after the click for selected electronic devices. In playback mode, tapping an image stored in the camera image is enough to show on the display of this smartphone / tablet. In addition, it is possible the location information from the GPS (Global Positioning System) protocol of a smartphone / tablet associate the photos with an installed app. The GX7 also simplifies the archiving of images, by transmitting the image data over a wireless router to a PC or other compatible electronic devices. Lumix photographers can also take advantage of cloud storage space in the exclusive services of the Panasonic "Lumix Club". In this cloud service they receive a personal folder where they can upload their image data to save. From there, these files can also be transferred to services like Facebook, Flickr, Picasa, Twitter or YouTube. Also a Wi-Fi Direct feature allows the playback picture on appropriately equipped and DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) compliant fours HDTV devices.

Digital effects and photo styles expand the possibilities of image composition

When scene auto selection in the Intelligent Auto mode is added as ne-Untes the food-recognition motif. The Creative Control mode is expanded in the GX7 to 22 filter options. Brand new are monochrome, monochrome monochrome rough and silky. They complement the known effects of ex-depressants, Retro, High Key, Sepia, High Dynamic, Soft Focus (still images only), Monochrome dynamic, impressionally, SW with a color, cross process, low key, Toy Camera, star filter (photos only) Miniature Effect, Ancient (Old Days), Sunshine (photos only), Bleach Bypass, Toy Camera and Pop imagination. The individual effects are also still variier bar. The Creative Panorama function creates horizontal or vertical panorama measures up to 360 ° angle of view with a camera pan. In this panoramic images of the 18 filter effects of the Creative Control mode can be applied are the. The photo styles are still added to the monochrome color filters (yellow, orange, red, green) for sophisticated black and white shots with the Lumix GX7.

Since this doesn't have the 5axis stabilization, what advantage does this camera have over, say, my NEX-6 or even my RX100- they all shoot 1080p at 24mbps, and the Nex has a larger sensor, so why would this camera be considered better for video?

I'm not trying I challenge anyone, I am genuinely wondering, I would consider selling my camera if I could be convinced it was worth it. I mean, I understand why a GH2 with 178mbps hack would be a serious video camera, but I don't understand why this camera is considered to have GH3 quality if it's only 24mbps? My RX100 shoots at that rate.

Since this doesn't have the 5axis stabilization, what advantage does this camera have over, say, my NEX-6 or even my RX100- they all shoot 1080p at 24mbps, and the Nex has a larger sensor, so why would this camera be considered better for video?

I'm not trying I challenge anyone, I am genuinely wondering, I would consider selling my camera if I could be convinced it was worth it. I mean, I understand why a GH2 with 178mbps hack would be a serious video camera, but I don't understand why this camera is considered to have GH3 quality if it's only 24mbps? My RX100 shoots at that rate.

It's not all about the bit rate. The Lumix cameras shoot sharper looking video than the Sony stills cameras. Sony has a bit of a blurry look in comparison. Still better than Canon, though!

It wouldn't be. I would love to be wrong, but it looks like it's DOA for video unfortunately. 

It wouldn't be. I would love to be wrong, but it looks like it's DOA for video unfortunately. 

It's probably (at least) as good as the Panasonic G6 for video. And that is pretty good. So I wouldn't write it off that fast.

• Administrators

Image quality doesn't just come down to sensor size and bitrate.

In this case it will depend on how the sensor is sampled.

The GH3 does a good job of downsampling the sensor and the Panasonic image processor does a good job of processing / debayering it.

On the NEX cameras this capture process is mediocre to say the least and there's a lot of aliasing and moire. Check out my NEX 5N vs GH2 comparison on Vimeo.

Looks like Panasonic is downsampling differently with this sensor than the one from the G6.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gx7/panasonic-gx7A.HTM

"Panasonic says that the better image sensor means that it need only bin four pixels to create each pixel in the final movie, rather than six pixels as in the G6. The mixing is performed in 1 x 4 pixel lines, rather than 2x2 blocks, and the image processor performs low-pass filtering on the resulting data as it comes off-chip."

Here is one example comparing a video frame from the RX100M2 with the NEX-6.  The larger sensor from the NEX-6 doesn't help with this scene.

http://***URL removed***/forums/post/51901641

Looks like Panasonic is downsampling differently with this sensor than the one from the G6.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gx7/panasonic-gx7A.HTM

"Panasonic says that the better image sensor means that it need only bin four pixels to create each pixel in the final movie, rather than six pixels as in the G6. The mixing is performed in 1 x 4 pixel lines, rather than 2x2 blocks, and the image processor performs low-pass filtering on the resulting data as it comes off-chip."

Whoa just read from that link:

"It's also important to note that the body-based stabilization system is not used for video capture."

Piece of shit!

Panasonic were so influenced by Sony that they even copied the naming system (i,e Nexx7). Where is GX2, GX3 --- GX6? Sony inherited the naming system from Minolta where 7 series were higher end enthusiast and 5 series were lower specs than 7 Series.  And Minolta also had 9 for professional cameras, i.e Minolta Maxxum 9000 (same system that Sony inherited, A900, A99, etc). 

Sony bought Minolta, but I can't see why Panasonic would choose to call it 7, unless they have just decided that they are going to follow the same Minolta naming system. 

If you look at other model that uses 2 Axis IS the video is so jelly (pentax, Sony Alpha, Oly PEN (exclude E-p5)

I guess Pana decide to have shaky footage rather than jelly footage

Whoa just read from that link:

"It's also important to note that the body-based stabilization system is not used for video capture."

Piece of shit!

• 2 weeks later...

Another vid from a review

The built in image stabilisation is not active during video recording, so for best results a Panasonic lens with optical image stabilisation, or a tripod, is recommended. Focus peaking is available before recording as well as during recording, for manual focus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMIO3FTI2bI

hand held

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsczYBnK0x0