what about s1?

stefanocps

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Lots of information here and chatter about it. 

After using Sony A7s, A7rII, and trying out the EOS R, the Panasonic S1 (to me) feels like the first true, fully professional mirrorless camera (have not used A9 or Nikon's). It's robust with incredible images (both photo and video). I also love Fuji and X-H1 and X-T3 are great, but I like to have a mirrorless camera that can match the video cameras I use often (own an EVA-1, rent Canon's when needed). Sony's color science and general image make them a no-go for me and Canon is delivering severely hampered mirrorless cameras.

Also love the GH5 and that would be a great choice as well. But if you want more opportunity for shallow depth of field, amazing low light ability, and do more photography, the S1 might be the way to go. 

There really aren't any bad cameras anymore. With the right lenses, technique, light, time and thought, most any camera will get you great images. I remember loving the images I was getting out of the Fuji XE-2 a few years back and now that camera is like $300. It just comes down to preference and what you are willing to trade off or not (4k crops, poor color science, size, battery life, etc). 

1 hour ago, currensheldon said:

Lots of information here and chatter about it. 

After using Sony A7s, A7rII, and trying out the EOS R, the Panasonic S1 (to me) feels like the first true, fully professional mirrorless camera (have not used A9 or Nikon's). It's robust with incredible images (both photo and video). I also love Fuji and X-H1 and X-T3 are great, but I like to have a mirrorless camera that can match the video cameras I use often (own an EVA-1, rent Canon's when needed). Sony's color science and general image make them a no-go for me and Canon is delivering severely hampered mirrorless cameras.

Also love the GH5 and that would be a great choice as well. But if you want more opportunity for shallow depth of field, amazing low light ability, and do more photography, the S1 might be the way to go. 

There really aren't any bad cameras anymore. With the right lenses, technique, light, time and thought, most any camera will get you great images. I remember loving the images I was getting out of the Fuji XE-2 a few years back and now that camera is like $300. It just comes down to preference and what you are willing to trade off or not (4k crops, poor color science, size, battery life, etc). 

Ok you talk about low light and sensor and those are obvious bemefit. I talk about image quality. Footage i see from s1 look wonderful. Don t have same sensation with xt3 and expecially with gh5 footage.

What you think about?

2 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

Ok you talk about low light and sensor and those are obvious bemefit. I talk about image quality. Footage i see from s1 look wonderful. Don t have same sensation with xt3 and expecially with gh5 footage.

What you think about?

Its gonna yield similar image quality to a A73 and Nikon Z7. Full frame frame 6k downsampled 

What are your primary uses going to be? The size of the S1 is huge compared to the XT3 and the GH5. My preference is to have a small set up. The GH5 nails that for me. I just can't justify carrying it around. 

With that said, obviously you can get incredible images from the S1. That full frame really does deliver superior image quality. I do mostly handheld work, and the S1 just isn't ideal for that. 

Ultimately you just need to compare the benefits and negatives and choose which one best works for you. 

8 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Absolutely.

Remember that when you see footage from two different cameras you're also comparing the grading done on that footage, and unless they were both graded by the same world-class colourist then the grade of one is going to be better than the other one.

People talk about the magic of colour science, but @Sage has proven that with enough dedication and skill the footage from the Alexa can be very effectively emulated with a much 'lesser' camera - the GH5.

10 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Its gonna yield similar image quality to a A73 and Nikon Z7. Full frame frame 6k downsampled 

I don't know, unless Sony start putting their Venice colour science into their mirrorless cameras, the S1 and the Nikon have a much nicer image to my eyes. From what I see the S1 has beautiful colours straight out of the camera and can't wait to see what it's like with full v-log. The Nikon needs some work but can get nice colours too. Sony really needs to address their colours or regardless of specs they will lose a  lot of potential customers. They have shown they can create lovely image - the F35 and new Venice prove that, they just need to start putting it into their lower end

One of my favorite reviewers, Gerald Undone, weighs in with a 17:44-long, fully chaptered take on the S1...

Panasonic S1 Review: LARGE and in CHARGE (S1 vs Sony a7 III vs GH5) - YouTube:

...finally, a fairly comprehensive AF test series covering the various Panasonic AF settings and how they translate to actual performance for both video and stills.

:)

5 hours ago, ade towell said:

I don't know, unless Sony start putting their Venice colour science into their mirrorless cameras, the S1 and the Nikon have a much nicer image to my eyes. From what I see the S1 has beautiful colours straight out of the camera and can't wait to see what it's like with full v-log. The Nikon needs some work but can get nice colours too. Sony really needs to address their colours or regardless of specs they will lose a  lot of potential customers. They have shown they can create lovely image - the F35 and new Venice prove that, they just need to start putting it into their lower end

that is what it seems to me

Image look great straight out of the camera, much more than what it is in gh5 and (vene if less) xt3

That is for me a great value as am notr so good in grading , neither i wish to became...i like natural image, and what it comes out from s1 seems so good as it is...also z6 have this impression

S1 looks great, but for the price the limitations really hurt.

4K60P is cropped and I think there's a time limit on it.

Paid firmware updates... why...

AF-C still on the fence about it, much better than GH5 but is it as good as Sony/Canon?

Lens selection and price! Ouchy. Also those Sigma lenses don't have good video AF-C in the Sony versions, so I doubt they are going to be any better for the L-mount.

I'm tempted, but I think I'll continue the eternal wait for the A7SIII.

I'll take another look when the lens prices are in line with everyone else, they have 4K60 FF and the autofocus is proven.

43 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

I'm tempted, but I think I'll continue the eternal wait for the A7SIII.

I'll take another look when the lens prices are in line with everyone else, they have 4K60 FF and the autofocus is proven.

I think the A7siii will be the 1st to give us 4K 60 FF internal similar to how the a7sii was first to give us Full frame 4K internal. 

The crop in 60fps is a bummer, but if you want a full frame camera that shoots 60fps, this is your only option. Honestly, I think this camera packs in so much more quality and features than the Z6 and EOS R that the extra money is justified. Too bad it doesn't include the 10-bit, V-Log update coming soon (hoping it's $99, but probably $199) - then it would really be worth the price. I don't put the A7III as an option because I think the limitation of having terrible colors, harsh highlights and highlight rolloff, not great IBIS, and just a generally poor video image as all much bigger dealbreakers than any limitation on the S1. 

Well according to this video Sony was first, Canon last. CS is more bullshit than anything. And Sony cameras Dominate Broadcast and and semi Pro productions. All those people can't really be wrong. Sony FS7, FS5 probably the 2 hottest Cine cameras going for anything we could ever afford to buy or rent.

https://fstoppers.com/gear/canon-fuji-nikon-and-sony-go-head-head-color-science-battle-304099

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:53 AM, ade towell said:

I don't consider color part of image quality usually. But yeah, if you factor that in Pana is nice, though I don't think particularly better than Nikon. 

I was at least interested in the S1 and indeed Z6, but in the end decided the best option for me was still the XT3 I bought last Sep.

The S1 specifically, for me the issues were; size & weight, lack of fast AF lenses at this time, price and the AF itself.

The Z6 stacked up better everywhere pretty much, but lacked the 4k 60 I use so...

I don't think anyone can argue that the Color Science is bad on the S1. It looks like it is their best effort to date. Not counting it is really clean looking, the current trend. As to size, sure it's bigger, but that adds to stability, and not everyone has hands the size of gnomes. I found my Sony a7 series cameras way too small for me. I had to buy a battery grip, or a body extension to use on everyone I owned. I had the same problem with all the Olympus bodies I ever had. Now the Panasonic GH2, GH3, G7 I had were about right. Small is not always better for everybody.

I would rather have a video camera that weighed 10 pounds over one that weighed 2 pounds if I was big into Run n Gun. Every movement you make is magnified on a lightweight camera. There is a reason big time ENG cameras Still weight 18 to 20 pounds, even today. Part of the reason is controls are easier to operate, and the batteries on them are pretty huge, but that is for balance as much as anything to overcome the B4 lenses on them, which are heavy also.

You spend more time running backwards using them than running forward lol, and you would be hard pressed to ever see any movement for them. Court Trials were the hardest thing to cover, standing out in the cold, freezing your ass off, or in the rain waiting for it to be over lol.. Man when the trial was over inside everyone was running to the exist, especially the person on trial and their lawyer. And back then there was no wireless stuff, so you could Never get very far away from the reporter you were with because you were pretty much tethered together. Moving backwards down courthouse steps was an OH MY God moment. It was exciting to say the least. And you were not alone that is for sure, every local station, even the big boys from the Networks were there if it was a nation wide event They pushed forward hard because they were granted first interviews. Talk about no second chance. Now That was Run n Gun!