Sony RX100 Mark II (M2) Review - evolution in times of revolution

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Great review i wonder how the dynamic range is compared to the Panasonic G6 in videomode?

Are they about the same in dynamic range?

The G6 has better dynamic range. Haven't measured it but to the eye it's easily noticeable.

• Administrators

I'm a bit surprised that you didn't find any improvements in low light image quality

so far I've seen quite a number of live tests showing an improvement in this area and capturing more details in low light situations

Ah yes but testing what exactly - the raw stills, video, or JPEGs? My test shows the sensor hasn't improved.

Andrew, why do you promote the 1080p60 from the G6? From what I've seen it doesn't have the quality of 1080p24, it doesn't live up to the G6/GH2 resolution standards. It looks more like the 720p from the GH2, don't you think?

I believe that's the mode (1080p50/60) in which those first tests were shot, leading to that fear of the G6 not being as good as the GH2.

Here's a comparison that puts it quite clear, courtesy of kgerster: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/3116-panasonic-g6-review-the-gh2-redux/page-2#entry39094

• Administrators

"It’s still the best image quality per cubic centimeter" . Please try to compare with GoPro 3 Black and you will see that (at least in terms of resolution) it is not true.

The GoPro has a fisheye lens. Resolution is only one part of the image, in same way that size is only one part of architecture. How can you possibly compare?

I just like to pint out ; regarding the TEXT on the article ...

Interestingly Sony recently acquired from Olympus the use of their brilliant IBIS stabilisation (which works by moving the sensor) and I still think this is the best system in the entire camera business.

Sorry, but please do some background check and research and ask someone to proof read before posting , will you. The IBIS was originally intorduced by Minolta way back and Sony acquire that technology when getting theirs from Minolta. IBIS is already on their Alpha Mount DSLR from the 1st model on ward .

• Administrators

Sorry, but please do some background check and research and ask someone to proof read before posting , will you. The IBIS was originally introduced by Minolta way back and Sony acquire that technology when getting theirs from Minolta. IBIS is already on their Alpha Mount DSLR from the 1st model on ward .

Who says I am talking about their existing IBIS? I'm not. The new Olympus 5 axis IBIS is a separate technology which is part of a broader exchange of parts between the companies via Sony's stake in Olympus. It will appear on *future* cameras. Sony are supplying Olympus with sensors, and now Olympus are supplying optical tech. It has nothing to do with Sony's existing system or the older Minolta one from which it was derived. Quite aware of that thanks.

Source:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-olympus-will-now-share-the-5-axis-stabilization-system-with-sony/

It looks like the blue channel got fixed.

In general, there is no question, video quality is something being purposefully held back by the big Japanese manufacturers, but possibly 4K will change that if they are frustrated they are not selling sets and players etc. they will think the video enthusiast market may drive the whole 4K transition and decripple accordingly. It may even be they are protecting 4K video from "good enough" 1080p implementations. To ensure there is demand for 4K because everything 1080p sucks much worse than it needs to.

DPreview and DxO have enforced that stills cannot be crippled anymore; sadly there remains no equivalent independent testing site for video. Whatsoever. (Yes I know you're all waiting for me to build one. I am too busy with other matters, sorry.)

Despite the hopes of so many bloggers, I think right now the Japanese all laugh when anyone brings BMD up at the bar after work. Justifiably.

We have yet to see whether BMD is able to implement more than 10% of the MFT spec (distortion and CA correction?). They couldn't even get flange distance right on the EF mount for a long time.

And that may be the answer to your pressing question Andrew. The reason the products aren't widely available is because...they suck.

• Administrators

They don't suck at all.

The BMCC 2.5K has a much more film-like image than the electronic videoy C100.

Hell it even gets noise in the highlights rather than blowing them out! (Exactly like a film emulsion).

You seem to have confused very frustrating and bad shipping problems with the products sucking. The reason many are so upset about the shipping problems is because they really wanted the products!