5D Mark III raw H.264 video file for download

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

(Please download the original 5D 1080p file, it only streams in 720p. No artistic value. Not representative of final firmware. No salesman will call.)

Looks like someone didn’t get the memo!

In the last few hours the first 90Mbit 1080p Quicktime file was made available from a pre-production 5D Mark III.

The subject matter is mundane but finally we get to see what the true resolution of this camera is like.

The test is shot at ISO 3600. Here’s my verdict…

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7378/5d-mark-iii-raw-h-264-video-file-for-download/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hell it looks pretty good to me! But what do I know? I couldn't detect much moire or aliasing. That's surely a good sign. The sub-1080p resolution is unimpressive though.

I just placed an order for a GH2 body (literally seconds ago). I'm sick of waiting for Canon to charm us. The price of a GH2 body makes it an incredibly hard deal to beat. Unfortunately I don't have any M43 glass, only my large stash of EF lenses, so I also bought a cheap dumb adapter just to use interm. I downloaded your GH2 Shooter's Guide book and plan to make the most of the hack as well. I'm a long time Canon shooter (both stills and video), as well as a Magic Lantern veteran, but I figure now is the time to make my next move since the 5D3 announcement left me rather disappointed. The GH2 should keep me satisfied while the rest of the year unfolds :) Maybe we'll see the 4K DSLR by Photokina and/or other camera announcements!

• Administrators
It is good enough for many many great shoots to come, but it is definitely a lot softer on fine details than the GH2 is capable of. It isn't any better than 5D Mark II in terms of actual resolution. And this is a £3000 camera body.

It took 3.5 years to do this??

On second look at the 1080p file, the resolution seems noticeably improved over the 5D2. Not true 1080p, I agree, but considering the reduction in moire and aliasing, I think the resolution is pretty good. That's no excuse for Canon, but I'm not as turned off as I was earlier.

I do a lot of still photography along with video work (about 50/50 actually) so I am still paying close attention to the 5D3 and am likely to order one too...

so maybe im wrong or maybe its a typo but my calculations show that a 90 Mb/s video for 2.5 min should be

(90/8)*2.5*60=1687.5MB. So this video is not at 90 Mb/s but rather closer to 30? I dont have vimeo plus so i cant check for certain. Either way I feel let down by this camera so far. Cant wait for the official reviews once the camera comes out. Maybe if we complain enough Canon will actually listen and fix our very realistic wish list.

[quote author=magnifypictures link=topic=369.msg2283#msg2283 date=1331096332]
so maybe im wrong or maybe its a typo but my calculations show that a 90 Mb/s video for 2.5 min should be

(90/8)*2.5*60=1687.5MB. So this video is not at 90 Mb/s but rather closer to 30? I dont have vimeo plus so i cant check for certain. Either way I feel let down by this camera so far. Cant wait for the official reviews once the camera comes out. Maybe if we complain enough Canon will actually listen and fix our very realistic wish list.
[/quote]

One guy said this in the comments:
"This is IPB footage (ave bitrate according to PPro is 27.2Mbps). PPro CS5.5 is having trouble playing this file in real-time (5D2 & other H.264 files play fine. Windows Media Player works fine too): starts OK in PPro then slows to a crawl (sequence created from clip properties). GPU or CPU- no difference (GTX285, 12 2.93Core 24GB MacPro (Win7x64)). Hopefully the I-frame footage will work better with PPro (or Adobe will quickly provide a patch). Thanks again for the sample file Tonis. Looking forward to seeing footage with sharpness at 7 (and contrast turned up)."

Looks good to me, apart from the rolling shutter which is still quite noticeable. Although that probably wouldn't be a problem. But at least there's no visible moire or aliasing.

As for the resolution. It's hard to pick. His focusing and camera movement are all over the place. But at least it has a nice look. Much better than the low light clip the other day.

[quote author=tungah link=topic=369.msg2284#msg2284 date=1331097848]
[quote author=magnifypictures link=topic=369.msg2283#msg2283 date=1331096332]

[/quote]

One guy said this in the comments:
"This is IPB footage (ave bitrate according to PPro is 27.2Mbps). PPro CS5.5 is having trouble playing this file in real-time (5D2 & other H.264 files play fine. Windows Media Player works fine too): starts OK in PPro then slows to a crawl (sequence created from clip properties). GPU or CPU- no difference (GTX285, 12 2.93Core 24GB MacPro (Win7x64)). Hopefully the I-frame footage will work better with PPro (or Adobe will quickly provide a patch). Thanks again for the sample file Tonis. Looking forward to seeing footage with sharpness at 7 (and contrast turned up)."
[/quote]

Rumor has it that bitrate will be variable, but who really knows? iI say let's wait for the real thing and then start evaluating resolution etc.

The bitrate is closer to 30, so it must be VBR or not intra recording at all.

Rolling shutter seems improved significantly. It's still there, of course, but closer (perhaps even better than) the GH2's mjpeg recording (which scans much faster than its 24p mode, so skew is considerably less). The GH2's mjpeg mode is probably similar in terms of detail, too (which is unfortunate for the 5DIII).

Still, Canon have the C300 to protect now, so the resolution kind of makes sense. They've fixed the major gripes that the 5DII had in video mode, and it will be a success because of its heritage (the 5DII being a "legend"), and the fact that it's full frame; something that's still a rarity.

At the very least, the footage looks "solid" now, and that's major news indeed.

I guess from Canons marketing point of view they protect the C300 and any NEW video cameras in the works while targetting 5D Mark II owners who will stick with what they know and upgrade. They will still have THE good stills photography followers and I think this camera will meet or exceed their predicted market goals.

Meanwhile loads of money to be made in their new video venture.

The GH2 will be for now (Until NAB possibly) with its new upgrade and the new hacks the poor indie film makers camera of choice.

I wish Canon and Nikon would put their up-coming cameras into the hands of video professionals that have a clue.
People post stuff on Vimeo without explaining basic technical details. What's the point?
Right now a lot of this is just guess work.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=369.msg2277#msg2277 date=1331089395]
It is good enough for many many great shoots to come, but it is definitely a lot softer on fine details than the GH2 is capable of. It isn't any better than 5D Mark II in terms of actual resolution. And this is a £3000 camera body.

It took 3.5 years to do this??
[/quote]

I'm disgusted BUT they're doing this on purpose they're not stupid!

magnifypictures

All panasonic have to do is bring in a new af100 with 10 bit out and bingo they win all! And why wouldn't they. Lets wait n see what NAB brings because they don't have a gold plated C300 or F3 to protect. The GH2 had already beaten the AF100 before they bought out the GH2 improvements. The AF100 has been, at least in my opinion run over by just about every camera out there now. Although I think in the right hands the AF101 can be a nice little camera The zacuto shoot out proved that.