5D Mark III raw H.264 video file for download

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
[quote author=MatthewP link=topic=369.msg2356#msg2356 date=1331243153]
Hmm, there's a 1080p version of Mario & Nette on YouTube. The beginning shots look a bit fuzzy, but I think they must have been shot at 720p because the rest is absolutely stunning! The softness isn't noticeable at all - it looks wonderful.
[/quote]

If it was the same one I saw, it was simply the 540p clip from the Canon site upscaled to 1080p by the YouTube Idiot. It was very misleading!

• Administrators
[quote author=mike_tee_vee link=topic=369.msg2361#msg2361 date=1331249945]
Even though the GH2's resolution is jaw dropping, I still find myself drifting back to Canon for the colors and tones.  My perfect camera would be a combination of both.
[/quote]

True I do prefer colour on the Canon DSLRs. 5D Mark 3 looks even better in this regard now, thanks to better codec.

Hmm, there's a 1080p version of Mario & Nette on YouTube. The beginning shots look a bit fuzzy, but I think they must have been shot at 720p because the rest is absolutely stunning! The softness isn't noticeable at all - it looks wonderful.
[/quote]

There's no doubt the video looks good and better than the mk2 , there's simply more detail. BUT the footage is no way real 1080p, I would say a 720p that lets you down in fine details, typical of every non-GH2 DSLR

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=369.msg2362#msg2362 date=1331250014]
[/quote]

If it was the same one I saw, it was simply the 540p clip from the Canon site upscaled to 1080p by the YouTube Idiot. It was very misleading!
[/quote]

This is the one I watched: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrDHEi3z-sY#ws]Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Mario and Nette (original short film)[/url]

Definitely not 540p. Look at the details on his sweater. You can tell that it's from the original source at the end as well, where the lenses are shown (too sharp for anything else).

It's certainly not as "sharp" as a GH2, maybe not even as detailed either, but it looks VERY cinematic if you ask me, and that's what people want, on the whole, I think. So Canon is delivering on that.

The version postet by MatthewP does indeed look better than the one seen before. It's interesting to see how different some of the shots are when it comes to resolution. His sweater does look sharp most of the time, but his face not so much. Overall sharpness also varies from shot to shot, might also be depending on lens selection. Some of the shots look as if they would have greatly benefitted from stopping down the lens by one or two stops.

I'm not really a sucker for digital sharpness, most films shot on the RED suffer from way to sharp images in my opinion, mostly when screened digitally. People tell lots of great stuff about screening quality of Act Of Valor and the 5d Mk III surely is going to top that. I'm surely not saying the 5d Mk II is better than the RED for cinema, but it can perform quite nicely when treated right.

Have a nice weekend everybody!

• Administrators
[quote author=MatthewP link=topic=369.msg2373#msg2373 date=1331295289]
[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=369.msg2362#msg2362 date=1331250014]
[/quote]

[/quote]

This is the one I watched: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrDHEi3z-sY#ws]Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Mario and Nette (original short film)[/url]

Definitely not 540p. Look at the details on his sweater. You can tell that it's from the original source at the end as well, where the lenses are shown (too sharp for anything else).

It's certainly not as "sharp" as a GH2, maybe not even as detailed either, but it looks VERY cinematic if you ask me, and that's what people want, on the whole, I think. So Canon is delivering on that.
[/quote]

Dude, it is NOT 1080p. Look at the wide shots and titles. A fine fabric at macro looks detailed no matter what the resolution, be it 540p or 1080p!

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=369.msg2387#msg2387 date=1331333799]
[quote author=MatthewP link=topic=369.msg2373#msg2373 date=1331295289]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude, it is NOT 1080p. Look at the wide shots and titles. A fine fabric at macro looks detailed no matter what the resolution, be it 540p or 1080p!
[/quote]

Aye, you're right there. Just checked by downscaling a few screen grabs to 720 and then upscaling them back to 1080 - there's no difference in fidelity. There's a massive difference between 540 and 720 though, so it's 720 at the very least. The question is, however, whether that's an upscaled 720 encoding, or whether the 5DIII's 1080p holds no more detail than can be contained in 1280x720 pixels.