Sign in to follow this  
p.hawks

Help choosing camera

Hi
I am a long time reader, and I need help choosing a new camera. I currently have a GH2 (selling with pana/Leica 25mm). For my next camera, I need it to meet the following specs. Lightweight (will be on a glidecam hd 1000 with a rode video mic), mic jack, 1080 60p, RAW burst 5+ fps for 20+ frame, and high detail for stills. Currently I am considering the gh3, but I wanted to know how it compares to the g6. I was looking at the nex 7 also, but its burst is a gimmick and its video quality seems to lag behind others.

The primary applications will be action sports video (freestyle skiing), panoramas, and sequences (fast burst with entire jump in shot showing each step of trick). GH3 is at the top of my budget, but if the g6 offers similar performance in these areas, that may be preferable.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

the g6 to my eyes has a more detailed image - it is simply stunning

I dont know how Panasonic have done it but they have done some very clever tweeking with the codec to make superb images at a standard file size - my gh2 is running 1 gig per minuite with the hack - huge files compared to the g6

The g6 straight out the box on a lower bit rate is producing a better image ! simply stunning work by Panasonic !

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the advice.  I heard it was great for video, but I can't find much information on continuos shooting with the G6.  Specifically, what is the speed, and how big is the buffer? I know that the GH3 will meet my needs for continuos shooting, but if I can get the results I need with a G6, that would be awesome.  

I bought mine form Vitaliy at personalview.com ......he has a deal for forum members

his supplier has g6 PAL bodies with the 30minute EU recording restriction removed so it will record until your card runs out of space!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Chom
      Purchased from B&H Photo Video for $1200. Used only once for a camera test. Still has screen protector from manufacturer.
      Atomos Ninja Inferno 4K Monitor Recorder
      2 NP-F Type Batteries with Charger
      Drive Caddys and Docking Station
      Power and Control Cables
      HDR Sunhood
      HPRC Hard Case with Custom-Cut Foam

AtomHDR

4K 60p Capabilities

7" Daylight Viewable Screen with 1500 cd/m² LED backlight

LOG and HDR signal Signal Management

$900 plus Shipping
      PayPal Payment Only

• By Robert Nagy
      I'm selling my old friend he's Samsung Nx1. He needs somebody who can truly understand it's potential. It may be young, around 20k shots but damn' it can make some pretty neat stuff. 
      It comes with a battery a canon adapter and a mft adapter and of course with battery and charger. 
      All this for 1,200 USD ( shipping from Romania ) 
      ( You can see more products in the image, but only the camera is for sale. ) 

• By Damphousse
      DSLR sales are down 12.4% in the Americas... but the real headline number is mirrorless sales have tanked by almost 47%!

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/decline_of_the_DSLR.html

I got that quote and those figures from Bob Atkins' site.  I have been going to his site for years for insightful reviews of photographic equipment.  It was pretty much one of the first sites I went to when I first started getting into digital photography.

I think he sums up the situation best with this quote...

Another interesting thing to note about his article is what is missing when talking about what ails the camera market.  The word "video" is almost entirely missing from the article.  It is mentioned once in relation to auto focus and PRAISING the Canon 70D and then at the end of the article when he is stating it is not a feature he cares about.

I actually found that article while lurking on another forum where people were discussing Canon's future plans.  It was interesting because none of the thread participants mentioned video.  Actually one person mentioned the 5D MK II being "hyped" because it had video capabilities.  That was it.

Canon won't be launching any revolutionary mirrorless products in the US because that market is infinitely more unappealing than the DSLR market.  I won't hold my breath for much innovation in the Rebel line of cameras regarding video.  Canon's target market doesn't really seem to notice nor care whether the video is great or not.

If great video was the solution to what ails Canon then why are mirrorless sales (ie Panasonic GH3, G6, etc) plummetting?

http://www.businessinsider.com/mirrorless-camera-sales-disappoint-2013-12

I can't see anyone at Canon suggesting Canon go down the Panasonic rabbit hole.
      By Guest
      I have a couple of questions regarding shutter angle when using 50p (I live in PAL land but questions relevant to 60p too).

1. If you're going to conform 50fps to 25fps for slow motion, isn't it best to shoot at 1/50th shutter speed (360 degree) in order to retain a 180 shutter angle once the footage is conformed? I think most stuff I've read seems to suggest shooting at 100th sec in 50p even for slow mo. Why? Just to be clear I'm not talking about using twixtor etc. I'm sure this has been discussed before elsewhere, but I can't find anything clear from a quick search.

2. My D5300 shoots 50P at a bit rate of about 37mbps, whereas in 24P it shoots at about 23mbps. So I'm wondering - why don't I shoot 50P at a 360-degree shutter angle (50th sec) and benefit from both the high-bitrate (more detail, less macroblocking, etc) and the look of 25fps motion blur. I might be missing something about the significance/function of shutter angle here, but right now I can't think why this wouldn't work. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about conforming 50p here - this question is about real-time footage.
    • By Gianfranco Corigliano Gfc
      My first slow motion for Nikon Italy with new Nikon D5300: